NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
Well after seeing word Ford is sticking it to us with these engine choices for the long haul I have re-evaluated my decision on the Bronco. After having a miserable experience with the 2.7L and seeing coking issues (along with being a tiny engine) on the 4 cylinder I have resorted to accept I will have to build my own Bronco.

Why not 5.0? Frankly the F150 has had issues with this engine, the aftermarket is limited, it’s more expensive, and technical knowledge is limited. And the thing is huge.

Why not the 7.3L? Actually I would greatly love the 7.3L over the LS engine but again, the aftermarket is limited, the knowledge for this engine is minimal, it’s still building a reputation. Truly time and money no issue THIS is the engine to go with.

Im going for an aluminum block LS likely 6.0L since 6.2s are overly prized. Either I’m going to have to adapt the 10 speed to it (wondering if the 2.7L 10 speed is the Ford/GM co-built trans) If not that then the 08-09 6L80s are very easy to work with.

Frankly power output isn’t a big deal to me but I’m going to throw a nice lumpy cam in the 6.0 and make this Bronco sound and run like its suppose to.

Wont be my first engine swap but it will be my first swap of an engine to a total different brand with different controls setup.

For the donor I will need a 2.7L truck with the iron differential and stronger transfer case(assuming that gets mated) to help ease those issues. Of course I’m not buying a brand new truck for this, so I think I will still need to get a 4 cylinder to hold me over until these start dropping out of warranty

I can see the money flying out of my pocket, Ford built the perfect design for the Bronco, now I’ve decided to shove a middle finger into the engine bay. I’m going to go ahead and start collecting parts.
Sponsored

Granger Ford

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Been waiting for the LS swap one to drop and here it is.

Give the 2.7 a chance this is not only direct injected but port injected as well to help with the sticky valve issues.

I had some issues with my first 2 - 3.5 Ecos but the 2018 after the fix has nailed it. 83k on the odometer and no stick valves nor need for a catch can.

Cannot imagine wanting to dig into Ford electronics but I am old and the carbs are non adjustable any more?

blkreaper

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6G Camaro SS m6, GX470, E39 & E24 BMW, 2005 Range
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
dude, the 5.0 is too wide. They aren't sticking it to anyone. Its a huge engine. Thats one of the reasons LS swaps are popular..

The only reason I would not do this swap for another 8 years is because you now render a lot of things useless.

the keys will be use less, the radio may even be useless.

This is coming from someone who loves engine swaps. I've done a few ls swaps. They're really easy.

I hope you do it but I hope you know what you're getting yourself into with the integrating the many modules this truck will have.

OP
OP

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
dude, the 5.0 is too wide. They aren't sticking it to anyone. Its a huge engine. Thats one of the reasons LS swaps are popular..

The only reason I would not do this swap for another 8 years is because you now render a lot of things useless.

the keys will be use less, the radio may even be useless.

This is coming from someone who loves engine swaps. I've done a few ls swaps. They're really easy.

I hope you do it but I hope you know what you're getting yourself into with the integrating the many modules this truck will have.
Well then Ford could offer the 7.3L, from my understanding it is physically smaller.

I’m willing to jump in because I don’t see myself putting up with either of these engines long term. I’m not the type to be all show no go and being a roof off convertible and having to hear that weed eater engine is going to eat at me.

I can do 30-35,000 miles a year on personal vehicles alone, I’ve been left stranded one time by a 2.7L turbo and want reliability.

OP
OP

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Been waiting for the LS swap one to drop and here it is.

Give the 2.7 a chance this is not only direct injected but port injected as well to help with the sticky valve issues.

I had some issues with my first 2 - 3.5 Ecos but the 2018 after the fix has nailed it. 83k on the odometer and no stick valves nor need for a catch can.

Cannot imagine wanting to dig into Ford electronics but I am old and the carbs are non adjustable any more?
The direct injection is part of the reason why I’m not considering a newer LT style V8. I don’t want high pressure fuel pumps.

Sponsored

Weedwaka

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR1, Mustang, Jeep GC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Going with a manual should make this swap easy. LSX and T56 Tranzilla FTW.

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I've been saying all along that the LS is the perfect V8 to swap into the Bronco, miles better than the high-strung Coyote or massive, heavy Godzilla.

It'd be interesting to see if the Ford 10R80 transfer case bolt pattern is the same one that GM uses with their 10-speed. In that case it'd be cake to slap the GM 10 speed onto the Bronco transfer case and make it feel like factory. Or put a manual-shift transfer case behind the GM 10-speed and make up your own driveshafts.

Electronics would be the tricky part. You'd need an electrical engineering firm like these guys to design a canbus translator to get the gauges, buttons, lights, air conditioning, and everything else working between the LS ECU and Ford body modules. Or you could just slap one of those chintzy digital dashes in front of the gauge panel and ignore the nuclear arms control panel of warning lights behind it.

MJJ

Wildtrak
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon, Jeep Wagoneer, Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Well then Ford could offer the 7.3L, from my understanding it is physically smaller.

I’m willing to jump in because I don’t see myself putting up with either of these engines long term. I’m not the type to be all show no go and being a roof off convertible and having to hear that weed eater engine is going to eat at me.

I can do 30-35,000 miles a year on personal vehicles alone, I’ve been left stranded one time by a 2.7L turbo and want reliability.
Godzilla was made available as a crate motor about a month ago. Weight difference 440lbs 2.7 eco boost vs 538 for 7.3l Godzilla.

FireSquatch

Black Diamond
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Honda Accord
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Omg the LS gang is relentless. Not even in production yet and people are already competing on who's gonna be the first to LS swap it.

Sponsored
OP
OP

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Omg the LS gang is relentless. Not even in production yet and people are already competing on who's gonna be the first to LS swap it.
I would prefer to have any V8 option, but if I have to do it myself I may as well go for ultimate reliability, power, efficiency.

blkreaper

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6G Camaro SS m6, GX470, E39 & E24 BMW, 2005 Range
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
theres no one here competing to do it first. There’s only 1 person trying to do it

uncledoodoo

Everglades
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 XJ, 56 F100, 11 Volvo XC90, Everglades
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

"Hey Bubba, lets LS Swap it!", ... "OK Cletus, but I get to be on top this time"

BeerForMyHorses

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma TRD Offroad
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

After having a miserable experience with the 2.7L and seeing coking issues (along with being a tiny engine) on the 4 cylinder
Annnnd that's where you lost my interest. If you want a different engine, just admit it, that's fine. But the 2.7L and 2.3L are good engines
Sponsored