Sponsored

Lux Charging Pad OVERHEATS PHONE FAILURE!!!...SHUTS DOWN CARPLAY... PHONE NOT OPERATIONAL...FORD IF YOUR LISTENING!!!!

Lake Tahoe Traveler

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 2dr BL SASQ, & 1975 Bronco Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

FORD MOTOR COMPANY... FORD IF YOUR LISTENING

On Sunday I had my Apple car play on, displaying Google maps as I drove… awesome graphics….. really cool!!!

Anyway, I left my phone on the charging pad on the console expecting it to charge… after driving back from the beach 50 plus miles … Car play shut down….
Next my wife grabbed the phone… the Apple I-phone 11 was exceedingly HOT and shut off….the phone actually said “ will not be operational until cooled down”!!!

We were without the use of my phone for 1/2 hour.

Insult to injury after the phone cooled it was at a 46% charge….

On Monday I checked in with another Bronco owner…. Sure enough coming back from Santa Barbara (the same day) his phone charger overheated his phone and it shut off…

After speaking to my friend, I dropped by our dealership to check if their were any resolutions by Ford to address this issue…. No … nothing …
So I asked if they could formally move this issue forward…. They refused and said it was up to me…
🤬😡 (however this to be expected by my dealership)

On a side issue… their dealership service person said it was OK to run your coolant and Trans temp to 250F…. That was Ok…
This should tell you something about this dealership.

Called Ford Yesterday and formally lodged a complaint( about the charger issue and the poorly programmed Active Grill Shutter's).

Hopefully… the Bronco Nation can spread the word about the lux charging pad (overheating your phone)

-Tahotrvlr
Sponsored

JimmyG

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords and Cadillacs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm not discounting your discoveries, but did you try other iPhones, non-iPhones to see if the behavior is consistent across all phone models? Are you able to test the resistance of the charging pad wires? I know, that's a stretch.

Smiffer

Outer Banks
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Same here. Haven’t really used the wireless charger much. But this weekend Drove from Michigan to Iowa to see our daughter at college. Both on the way there and on the way back my phone overheated sitting on the wireless charger.

Then my wife had almost the opposite problem on the way home. Her iphone was plugged into the USB port above the charger. She was on and off of it the entire 5 hour drive back and it only charged about 25%.

OP
OP
Lake Tahoe Traveler

Lake Tahoe Traveler

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

All phones that have been on that charging pad have been exceedingly warm. (wife's iphone and daughters iphone all different models)

I don't know what model phone my friend had which failed on his Bronco lux charging pad.

Sponsored

Bud2020

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch 2.7 Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Common story among Lux…I don’t even use it anymore. Shame.

OP
OP
Lake Tahoe Traveler

Lake Tahoe Traveler

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

About a year ago.... (before I recieved my Bronco) The Town and Country FORD Bronco internet infulencer Mitch Watts, reported in one of his walk around videos about the charger heating up... You would think someone with his influence would have Ford trying to figure this issue out. Heating up is one thing..... but making my phone disfunctional and potentially damaged.... gets my full attention.... FORD IF YOUR LISTENING!!!! HELP US OUT HERE!!! PLEASE!!!

Sponsored

AMTRV

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands 4dr, 22 6.7L Tremor, 1940 Ford Cpe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wow…..that’s a lot of shouting

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The charging pad works intermittently so I basically never use it and just plug in when I need it. The iphone 13 and 14 batteries last forever so I rarely need a charge anyway. This is one feature that was a fail since day 1.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@Ford Motor Company - would appreciate some feedback.
Well, earlier today they commented that a forum member's Jeep was a great looking Bronco, so I wouldn't put your eggs in that basket.

My iPhone XR did the same thing earlier in the week - Got exceedingly hot, CarPlay stopped working, and the phone told me to pound sand while it cooled off.

Dragline

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Yukon Denali, GMC Sierra 1500, Honda Civic, Chevy C3500
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Samsung Galaxy gets exceedingly hot and doesn't charge for beans on it as well. I don't use it anymore because it's worthless.

For comparison I have a 2022 Sierra with a wireless charging pad, phone stays perfectly cool and charges quickly.
Sponsored