First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'll have to see how warm this gets being next to the exhaust. It might need some header wrap or maybe just heavy foil.

Certainly not ideal for serious rock crawling, but it gets 4wd working again, and that was my primary objective until a proper FAD delete can be done.

Ford Bronco M210 Front Axle Swap? PXL_20220704_185314960

Ford Bronco M210 Front Axle Swap? PXL_20220704_185421301

A couple zip ties to snug it up (it's bolted through a very flexible bushing after all) and tidy the harness.

Ford Bronco M210 Front Axle Swap? PXL_20220704_185428597

Ready to roll!

Ford Bronco M210 Front Axle Swap? PXL_20220704_185500178
Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not to hijack but a group of us went to the local off-road park this weekend and even though I have a badlands, it pisses me off I can't engage the front locker outside of rock crawl. I get they don't want people running around with the front engaged in 4H to prevent damage, but why not just disengage it like the sway bar disco over 20mph or use GPS speed? If you're running though mud, your wheel speed may be over 20 when bogged down so use GPS in that case but I'd rather have all 4 spinning than 3.

Yillbs

Outer Banks
First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Not to hijack but a group of us went to the local off-road park this weekend and even though I have a badlands, it pisses me off I can't engage the front locker outside of rock crawl. I get they don't want people running around with the front engaged in 4H to prevent damage, but why not just disengage it like the sway bar disco over 20mph or use GPS speed? If you're running though mud, your wheel speed may be over 20 when bogged down so use GPS in that case but I'd rather have all 4 spinning than 3.
Good news is the two of us that have done the mod don't have to worry about that now :p not to rub it in of course.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good news is the two of us that have done the mod don't have to worry about that now :p not to rub it in of course.
I would just like an explanation as to why Ford programmed it this way.

Yillbs

Outer Banks
First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I would just like an explanation as to why Ford programmed it this way.
I'm guessing because although there is nothing wrong with going in a straight line with lockers engaged, people don't understand they can't bind them, so they turn, or forget, or just don't care. No matter how many times we say " we don't do that " there are a million other idiots that will do it. They WILL engage lockers and take turns at 20MPH then go to the dealer and demand warranty work because " the truck let me do it ". rather than deal with all those idiots, they just don't allow it at all. My understanding is, based on the work @Just_Jim has done for the community, it's just 12v, perhaps you can wire an override switch yourself?

Sponsored

Just_Jim

Big Bend
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Ford maintains they use a PWM signal, while Eaton's own harness is literally nothing but a mini rocker, a relay, and a fuse holder for 12v off the battery. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I haven't found anything suggesting PWM was needed on the Jeeps running d44 Advancetrak's. So is Ford doing it to be difficult - like with the dome lights? Or is there something we're missing about the factory lockers?

Yillbs

Outer Banks
First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I just got my own bronco back from following the guide @Just_Jim published on the forums. Shop that did mine mounted it a bit different than Jim did because on the 2.7 there is an extra brace due to the length of the engine, so they fabricated me a custom mount.

I went from about 13MPG to about 16MPG ( Texas, lots of hills ), and the pep increased quite a bit obviously. Overall I'm pretty pleased with the results. If anyone is on the fence about it, I would say go for it. you get the added benefit of better MPG, the pep, and you get the 210's instead of the 190, whic is an upgrade in of itself.

Just_Jim

Big Bend
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
To follow up on the variable voltage question: Ford drops the voltage after a minute to reduce heat in the solenoid after the locker has engaged.

Given that diff oil is usually 220° at freeway speeds, I really question the logic here, but what do I know... 😁

Rocketeer Rick

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 STX 5.0L, 1999 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
To follow up on the variable voltage question: Ford drops the voltage after a minute to reduce heat in the solenoid after the locker has engaged.

Given that diff oil is usually 220° at freeway speeds, I really question the logic here, but what do I know... 😁
I'm under the impression that its more to improve the life of the solenoid itself rather than what heat it would add to the sump. Again, this isn't my part of the business, but I'm lead to believe that the coil being hot for extended periods is a detriment to it.

Papa Smurf

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco WT. ‘23 Maverick. Hybrid. '23 Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Please forgive my ignorance. I’ve read this thread in entirety at least twice now. With my OBX non SAS with Adv 4x4, no FAD, I might not have any programming issues if I were to ever upgrade to M210 and regear to 4.46 or 4.74?

Sponsored

Just_Jim

Big Bend
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'm under the impression that its more to improve the life of the solenoid itself rather than what heat it would add to the sump. Again, this isn't my part of the business, but I'm lead to believe that the coil being hot for extended periods is a detriment to it.
My thinking is the opposite - how much heat does the solenoid generate given that it's already in a 220° oil bath?

I'm looking at pre-built timer/relays on Amazon to replicate the Ford circuitry. I'm thinking we just need a 60 second delay and then add a resistor in series with a diode to keep it from staying at 12v.

Just_Jim

Big Bend
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Please forgive my ignorance. I’ve read this thread in entirety at least twice now. With my OBX non SAS with Adv 4x4, no FAD, I might not have any programming issues if I were to ever upgrade to M210 and regear to 4.46 or 4.74?
You'd just need to change the ratio via Forscan and be done.

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 bronco black diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Well, the FAD off the m190 Does NOT fit the m210...

At least not without cutting the intermediate shaft down about an inch and resplining the outboard end.

The shafts are 29 spline. CV axles will interchange. The housings even match up. But the innards are a no-go.

Ford Bronco M210 Front Axle Swap? PXL_20220704_185500178
Thanks for this thread as I was planning on the same mod to my black diamond. What internal part didn’t match? Could the entire right shaft assembly be swapped?

81A72305-8DEA-453F-9D89-D90F65A6C110.jpeg

Just_Jim

Big Bend
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The shaft that goes into the spider gear is too long.

Ford Bronco M210 Front Axle Swap? PXL_20220703_051030298~2

This end could be modified to work.

Ford Bronco M210 Front Axle Swap? PXL_20220704_054408203~2

This pic was everywhere in the media release. 🤦🏻‍♂️ M210, FAD, and anti-swaybar disco. So it's been done at least once. 😆

Ford Bronco M210 Front Axle Swap? 24-2021-Ford-Bronco-Hydraulic-Sway-Bar-Disconnect-1-1500x1000.jpg~2
Sponsored