Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 OBX, 19 EXPY, 19 Ranger, 11 EXPY, 68 F-100
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Honestly, there are 2 options.. Putting a locker in your M190 (any 27 spline D30 locker should work like an ARB RD100) or swap the whole front drive unit with an M210 FDU from Ford Performance. the second option would require buying the axleshafts and drive shaft for the M210, but they're all available from Ford Performance. This is more expensive, but you'd have a much stronger front axle in the end.
Thanks for the response, I think I'll go in the M210 direction. Again, thanks for the help!
Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
In reading all of this thread, my question is can I add a Ford front locking differential to my 21 OBX Bronco - I have the factory rear locking diff. If I can, what is the best way to make that happen?
Yes, purchase the M210 and axles... You would still need to handle the electronics.

1970AMCAMX

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, AMC AMX, DF Goblin
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yes, purchase the M210 and axles... You would still need to handle the electronics.
Never know, the wiring may already be there and it might be just finding out what to change in forescan - That would make it easy, I'm sure somebody will figure it out

Worst case all you need is a hot wire, switch, and a fuse to manually activate it (probably could just use one of the auxiliary switches)

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Never know, the wiring may already be there and it might be just finding out what to change in forescan - That would make it easy, I'm sure somebody will figure it out

Worst case all you need is a hot wire, switch, and a fuse to manually activate it (probably could just use one of the auxiliary switches)
And a copious amount of beer... LOL.

Rocketeer Rick

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 STX 5.0L, 1999 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Sponsored

mrnoodley

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK, 2018 JL, 2020 Gladiator, 2021 2dr Badland
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm 90% sure they use 1/2" bolts. Some carriers may need the ring gear bolt holes drilled to size, but that's no big deal, very common.

That would be the only potential issue I can think of. JK D30 gears are otherwise 100% compatible with an M190 front axle.

Is the JL Dana 30 gearset that you linked to still using smaller ring gear bolts, or have they upped them to 1/2"? I've heard mixed things. Is that why they don't interchange with JK axles, or is that more to do with pinion length or something along those lines?

Pilsner

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, 81 Bronco, 21 BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

That's not necessarily true. There are ECU checks for speed and 4lo and we don't know the exact activation method. There have been similar efforts on 3rd gen Tacomas to swap in a factory elocker or enable any time activation, all to no avail...yet. Aftermarket air or e locker is a sure bet, OEM not necessarily.

contented

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2 Competition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've read this thread w/ great interest and have somewhat related question. As one goes up the food chain, so to speak, from 3.73 rear ratio to 4.27 to 4.46 to 4.7, is it a fair assumption that drive shafts/axle shafts and cv joints, etc are different for each rear ratio and get stronger when going to the higher numbers. Or are they all the same thought the different ratios.

Thanks. contented

Rocketeer Rick

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm 90% sure they use 1/2" bolts. Some carriers may need the ring gear bolt holes drilled to size, but that's no big deal, very common.

That would be the only potential issue I can think of. JK D30 gears are otherwise 100% compatible with an M190 front axle.
I found that Dana's aftermarket website indicates that the M190 has 12mm ring gear bolts. So, my next question is does the M190 keep the same carrier break as Dana30, or does it just use one or the other of the flange offsets (like with the JK D44)? Or is it a different offset yet (I'm guessing no, based on your earlier statements)?

Similarly, is the M210 also tied back to the design of an earlier model? The Dana site lists both the M210 and M220 ring & pinion sets under "Dana 44 Advantek". I guess that's Jeep calls them Dana 44s on both ends, when there's still a size difference. Are the two similar to each other, or maybe similar to something else? I already know that the M220 is not the same as the old Dana 44 at all...

I've read this thread w/ great interest and have somewhat related question. As one goes up the food chain, so to speak, from 3.73 rear ratio to 4.27 to 4.46 to 4.7, is it a fair assumption that drive shafts/axle shafts and cv joints, etc are different for each rear ratio and get stronger when going to the higher numbers. Or are they all the same thought the different ratios.

Thanks. contented
There are typically not different shafts and such for a given axle assembly based on gear ratio. In some cases, there are different spline counts for the shafts (usually - but not always - more teeth mean a larger diameter), but that's more driven by the weight or torque rating of the assembly and not the final drive ratio itself. The shafts and joints themselves would be sized accordingly as well, typically for the most severe case anticipated. That's within a given design axle model, of course. Switching between models (M190 to M210) does require changing the CV shafts and prop shaft, according to Ford.

contented

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2 Competition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There are typically not different shafts and such for a given axle assembly based on gear ratio. In some cases, there are different spline counts for the shafts (usually - but not always - more teeth mean a larger diameter), but that's more driven by the weight or torque rating of the assembly and not the final drive ratio itself. The shafts and joints themselves would be sized accordingly as well, typically for the most severe case anticipated. That's within a given design axle model, of course. Switching between models (M190 to M210) does require changing the CV shafts and prop shaft, according to Ford.
Rick, again, thanks so much. In the BMW world there is a site called RealOEM.com where one can look up part numbers and get an answer to a question like the one below. However, I haven't been able to find anything similar for Broncos. So before I go to my dealer's part counter, I thought I'd ask one more question.

Here goes - are the shafts and cv joints generally the same between SAS (lifted) and non SAS (not lifted)? I'm trying to get a handle on the differences, if any, of these components between lifted and not. I'd like to lift mine (non SAS), when I get it, 2" and go to 33" tires. Mine will be equipped w/ advanced 4wd and 4.27 rear. But I've read so many horror stories about Jeeps, lifting, and changed drive line angles, etc I'm very wary to say the least.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Contented

Sponsored

mrnoodley

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I found that Dana's aftermarket website indicates that the M190 has 12mm ring gear bolts. So, my next question is does the M190 keep the same carrier break as Dana30, or does it just use one or the other of the flange offsets (like with the JK D44)? Or is it a different offset yet (I'm guessing no, based on your earlier statements)?

Similarly, is the M210 also tied back to the design of an earlier model? The Dana site lists both the M210 and M220 ring & pinion sets under "Dana 44 Advantek". I guess that's Jeep calls them Dana 44s on both ends, when there's still a size difference. Are the two similar to each other, or maybe similar to something else? I already know that the M220 is not the same as the old Dana 44 at all...
Tha M190's I've seen with ratios taller than 3.73 use a special thin gear and have the same carrier offset as a 3.73+ D30. That's how the 3.45s in new JLs are setup at least.

The M220 shares absolutely nothing with the legacy D44. It's a completely new clean-sheet design.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Rick, again, thanks so much. In the BMW world there is a site called RealOEM.com where one can look up part numbers and get an answer to a question like the one below. However, I haven't been able to find anything similar for Broncos. So before I go to my dealer's part counter, I thought I'd ask one more question.

Here goes - are the shafts and cv joints generally the same between SAS (lifted) and non SAS (not lifted)? I'm trying to get a handle on the differences, if any, of these components between lifted and not. I'd like to lift mine (non SAS), when I get it, 2" and go to 33" tires. Mine will be equipped w/ advanced 4wd and 4.27 rear. But I've read so many horror stories about Jeeps, lifting, and changed drive line angles, etc I'm very wary to say the least.

You don't need to lift your OBX to run 33's

IMG-9b22eb69479fcbe7dec96a61c090896b-V.jpg
20211120_123037.jpg
20211205_115526.jpg

Rocketeer Rick

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Tha M190's I've seen with ratios taller than 3.73 use a special thin gear and have the same carrier offset as a 3.73+ D30. That's how the 3.45s in new JLs are setup at least.
Interesting, because it looked like Quadratech lists M190 cases for 3.45 and lower ratios, and another model for 3.54:1 and up.
The M220 shares absolutely nothing with the legacy D44. It's a completely new clean-sheet design.
I know, I said that. But I was asking about the M210 design (trying to tie this discussion back to the original topic). Is the M210 related to any of the other designs?

mrnoodley

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I know, I said that. But I was asking about the M210 design (trying to tie this discussion back to the original topic). Is the M210 related to any of the other designs?
The M210 is also a completely new design, part of the Advantec line.

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
F450, Jeep XJ, Porsche 911, 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

The axle size and spline count (more spline count is also larger axle shaft diameter) aren't dependent on the gear ratio, but the spline count of the side gears in the differential. Both the M190 and M210 have 29 spline axle shafts. It is yet to be learned if the axles are exactly the same, most likely they are. So, this would mean that while the ring gear is bigger in the M210 than the M190, the axles are the same. What we also don't know is what exactly is the upgraded axle shafts offered in the Ford dealer accessory catalog. Would really like to know what kind of an upgrade it is.

The rear M220 uses 32 spline axle shafts. Also, the D44 FDU complete from diff offered as an upgrade from Spicer is an M220 diff and uses 32 spline CV axle shafts. We still have some things to learn for sure.
Sponsored