Sponsored

Mabett 6.5" Rear Speaker Pods Available Now!

reigny

Outer Banks
First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ninja 650, 2003 Honda Shadow Ace
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I installed my Mabett 6.5” pods & speakers today. My observations:

1.) These make a big difference over the 4” speakers.
2.) They fit 6.75” speakers. I used Kicker KS 6.75” and they fit like a glove.
3.) Easy to install, but still takes some time. Allow an hour.
4.) Can be installed without removing the hardtop. You just have to use the 90 degree bronco Allen wrench that came in the tool kit and remove the two screws closest to the top of the roll bar instead of the other two screws further down like the instructions say. Then once you get the pods off you can easily transfer over the brackets. It certainly would be easier to remove the hardtop, but maybe save the trouble if you want.
No. Kicker 47KSC6704 KS Series 6-3/4" 2-way car speakers.
Here it is! I think i'm going with these for the back as long as its confirmed they fit.
Sponsored

Dadsquatch

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Here it is! I think i'm going with these for the back as long as its confirmed they fit.
Yep. They fit the speakers I mentioned in my post. BIG difference in backseat sound.

fallguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Defender, 2022 Outerbanks SAS, 1968 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I went with 6.5's... they still fit correct?

reigny

Outer Banks
First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yep. They fit the speakers I mentioned in my post. BIG difference in backseat sound.
Thank you! I listened on crutchfield and debating these or the 6.5”.

negativezero

Big Bend
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
6.75 vs 6.5" is only like 7.8% more surface area, but it's not going to sound 7.8% better. I imagine the differences are near negligible, particularly if they're not driven by a sub and/or played approaching max wattage.

Sponsored

Toffen

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Jeep Wrangler 4 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
6.75 vs 6.5" is only like 7.8% more surface area, but it's not going to sound 7.8% better. I imagine the differences are near negligible, particularly if they're not driven by a sub and/or played approaching max wattage.
Never mind that they are 50% more $.
Will they sound 50% better?

edited for my bad math!😜

nwGTS

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 GTS, BMW M3, VW Golf
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

False. I have proven it is, in fact, 8.1% better. The value is there. /s

nwGTS

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Never mind that they are 30% more $.
Will they sound 30% better?
??? Same cost on Amazon and Crutchfield for the same series 6.5 or 6.75.

nwGTS

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

reigny

Outer Banks
First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So are the KS worth it or not??🤦‍♀️ Sounds a lot better in crutchfield sample.

negativezero

Big Bend
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
ETA is Sunday delivery, so I'll be back here to relay details (unless someone else beats me to it).
Whelp y'all, Amazon dropped these off a bit earlier and I'm quickly back here with early feedback.

The good news? I think these work for the 2-door without headache or modification. I uninstalled the driver-side OEM pod and dry-fitted the unloaded new one with loose screw-ins. So that's looking good. They're not done yet, so I am still prepared for a headache.

Great news #2: You don't have to have your hard top off for this one. All 6 bolts that hold the pod in place are T30 bolts. For some reason, my Bronco toolkit T30 bit was just a hair too big to fit, but a quick trip to the hardware store and a 1" shank T30 bit later, the bolts are out without even a scraped knuckle.

The uninspiring news? These clips are somehow more fragile than my ex-gf's ego. I couldn't have been more caring and gentle (with either), yet somehow after lovingly prying the face off of the speaker pod I was greeted with a broken clip bouncing around inside the pod. I'm used to small details handwork, and I don't know how I could have treated this thing any gentler. Oh well.

Oh - and if anyone is curious about a 1-1 size comparison with the OEMs? I'm thinking ahead for y'all. Enjoy the "I only have X minutes to complete this before the rest of my weekend schedule impludes" shoddy boom mat work for the Infinity Reference speakers I've had in for a while.

Ford Bronco Mabett 6.5" Rear Speaker Pods Available Now! IT8wypH

Careful buyer FYI: The quick connectors are bare wires, so if you want a clean plug then be ready to have those on hand. Most established speaker brands provide their own connectors, so if you're buying quality this is only a splice job between both bare sets.

Visually:
What's provided is the system quick disconnector (left wire set), which has the plastic that clicks in at the top, and that ends in bare wire. White is POS, brown is NEG. The right wire set is what was provided by Kicker. The wire terminals slide right on the back of the speaker, and bare wire at the ends too.

Ford Bronco Mabett 6.5" Rear Speaker Pods Available Now! hqhsHo5

Enjoy my hilariously bad soldering here, trying to splice these two wires as stable as possible:
Ford Bronco Mabett 6.5" Rear Speaker Pods Available Now! a5LPFO8

And for cleanliness and durability (and hiding that disaster of a soldering job), heat-shrink over the splice.

Ford Bronco Mabett 6.5" Rear Speaker Pods Available Now! WrHTjVF

Side-by-side of the actual pod with speakers in:
Ford Bronco Mabett 6.5" Rear Speaker Pods Available Now! gUOruGL

As the red text indicates, if you're installing 6.5" Kicker CS's, leave that speaker cover off. The Mabett lid doesn't close if the speaker cover is on. I'm sure that's probably already well known, but I didn't know it.

EDIT 2 - 7:15pm - after installation

Results are in... 2-door owners buy with confidence. This fits the 2D very well!

Immediate improvement in sound (non-B&O) - better volume and mids. Tomorrow I guess I bite down and do the FORSCAN thing for full-range. That makes me nervous.

Last edited:
First Name
Darelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bromco Big Bend A51
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Whelp y'all, Amazon dropped these off a bit earlier and I'm quickly back here with early feedback.

The good news? I think these work for the 2-door without headache or modification. I uninstalled the driver-side OEM pod and dry-fitted the unloaded new one with loose screw-ins. So that's looking good. They're not done yet, so I am still prepared for a headache.

Great news #2: You don't have to have your hard top off for this one. All 6 bolts that hold the pod in place are T30 bolts. For some reason, my Bronco toolkit T30 bit was just a hair too big to fit, but a quick trip to the hardware store and a 1" shank T30 bit later, the bolts are out without even a scraped knuckle.

The uninspiring news? These clips are somehow more fragile than my ex-gf's ego. I couldn't have been more caring and gentle (with either), yet somehow after lovingly prying the face off of the speaker pod I was greeted with a broken clip bouncing around inside the pod. I'm used to small details handwork, and I don't know how I could have treated this thing any gentler. Oh well.

The great-another-hardware-store-run news? The quick connectors are bare wires, so if you want a clean plug then be ready to have those on hand. Unbeknownst to me, I'm somehow out of these, so it's back to Florida-fruit-colored hardware store (non-sponsored).

Oh - and if anyone is curious about a 1-1 size comparison with the OEMs? I'm thinking ahead for y'all. Enjoy the "I only have X minutes to complete this before the rest of my weekend schedule impludes" shoddy boom mat work for the Infinity Reference speakers I've had in for a while.

Ford Bronco Mabett 6.5" Rear Speaker Pods Available Now! gUOruGL
Nice work @negativezero.im still waiting on mine from Amazon unfortunately. Good to know on the T30 bit. That is weird! Will keep my eyes and hands open for the fragile bits too. When you say bare wire...there isn't a quick connect?

negativezero

Big Bend
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
When you say bare wire...there isn't a quick connect?
Yes, of course - on the side that interfaces with the vehicle system. The other side that goes to the speaker is bare. That's all I'm saying.

negativezero

Big Bend
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Everything's in & installed. Confirmed that these fit the 2-door Bronco's and it's all working like it should. More details added to the initial feedback post above ^^^.
Sponsored