Sponsored

Mach-E driver's panicked search stops four times on 200-mile trip looking for charging station

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Tesla charging ports have been developed prior to the automakers agreeing on a unified charging system which is now what we have. It's not Ford's problem. It's the charging network that isn't available in certain areas that is the problem. Tesla was rolling out their charging network at a fast paced prior to the huge sale of cars they had.
The Mach-E and other electric cars are great and you can do long drives with them, you just need to plan your trip. This could of happened with a gas car if the guy was lost and couldn't find a gas station.
Hydrogen would be a great alternate to batteries. But the problem with hydrogen is the transport and storage of it and it's still quite expensive.
i hear that they are looking to get it into transport trucks first where it would be most beneficial to them.
Sponsored

MDbeachguy

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Range isn't really a problem, current range suits the majority of daily drivers.

If you only drive 25 miles a day why do you need a car with 400 miles of range?
its a massive problem.

There is no reason to buy an electric car over a hybrid like a kia optima that gets 700 miles of range

Electric is the future , potentially , however as of right now we are heading towards adopting this inferior tech far too fast than our energy production can meet it

eventually these things will collide violently. and we will suffer an energy crisis. And the coal plants will have to be turned back on

When electric cars can charge in 5 minutes , and have 1 million mile charge cycles, AND have 700-1000 mile range

We can stop arguing because the future has arrived

I pity anybody who buys an electric car in 2021-23

and i pity ANYBODY who has ordered a rivian or cybertruck

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So it sounds like they are going to try to gouge us on service costs. Great plan. Way to look to the future, Ford.
No, they view the closed loop as a way of jumping on repair issues as soon as possible to lower warranty costs and increase customer loyalty for repeat purchases. That would benefit Ford, the dealer network, and customers.

Username_not_found

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat 500 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
hydrogen is great and it was the worst crime EVER that it wasnt adopted instead of this planet wrecking lithium garbage
I mean... it wasn't adopted because nobody has pushed it far enough to be viable yet. If Toyota has been so gung-ho about it and it's still not even remotely available, it probably isn't as easily implemented as battery is. I agree that current battery EV tech is a stop-gap technology and I do like hydrogen (hell I worked for a company developing Fuel Cell membranes and electrodes for a while), but it's not as ready yet as electric is.

MorgansRun

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 330e
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
No, they view the closed loop as a way of jumping on repair issues as soon as possible to lower warranty costs and increase customer loyalty for repeat purchases. That would benefit Ford, the dealer network, and customers.
Thanks for the clarification. Like I said, great plan...this time I'm not being snarky about it. :LOL:

Sponsored

MDbeachguy

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Remember what happened 2 months back when the east coast pipe line was hacked? It was mass panic and it was only down for 1 week.

Again, EVs needs to start somewhere. The internal combustion engine has been improving for over 130+ years.

Maybe EVs need 100 years to improve. If you don't allow it to elvolved then civilization will end.
civilization wont ever end. Climate change may be real but a 1-2 foot rise in sea level and slight increase in global temperature is not going to cause the apocolypse

If you could look at earths history of climate , and put the planet into a category (ice planet , ocean planet , desert planet ect) we would be a tropical planet. The current climate we are living in is WAAAY different than the norm. The planet used to be a rainforest. All of it.

MDbeachguy

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I mean... it wasn't adopted because nobody has pushed it far enough to be viable yet. If Toyota has been so gung-ho about it and it's still not even remotely available, it probably isn't as easily implemented as battery is. I agree that current battery EV tech is a stop-gap technology and I do like hydrogen (hell I worked for a company developing Fuel Cell membranes and electrodes for a while), but it's not as ready yet as electric is.
the problem with hydrogen is the gas is VERY flammable, and very explosive. However so is lithium and gasoline

the issue is CONTAINING hydrogen is hard since the atoms of it are so small they sometimes leak from the container walls

the technology to fix this i think already exists. its like a carbon sponge or something

boxwood

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EV
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

MDbeachguy

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

boxwood

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EV
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

unless you live in a hurricane zone and die in traffic
yes range is more important than cost
So sounds like there is not a universal rule.

Meanwhile i've been sitting here with my EV for the last 6 years enjoying my low maintenance costs, low "fuel" costs, with no problems what so ever...And not fleeing from any hurricanes. Working out just fine.

There may not be a reason for you to buy an EV, butI wouldn't equate that to an absolute to everyone.

Everyone's situation is different.

ps ev's sitting in traffic do great...very little impact on range.

Sponsored

Username_not_found

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat 500 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
civilization wont ever end. Climate change may be real but a 1-2 foot rise in sea level and slight increase in global temperature is not going to cause the apocolypse

If you could look at earths history of climate , and put the planet into a category (ice planet , ocean planet , desert planet ect) we would be a tropical planet. The current climate we are living in is WAAAY different than the norm. The planet used to be a rainforest. All of it.
You can't look at the climatic history of the Earth and use it to compare against human's ability to survive it. What you are describing is a climatic process that occurs over millions of years. Humans have existed for ~200,000 and you are looking at a "hothouse" climate that this planet hasn't experienced in the last 34 million years and saying "yeah we'll be fine. This happens all the time". Earth goes through natural climate change, but what we are experiencing is at an accelerated rate way beyond the Earth's natural cycle. When climate change occurs over millions of years evolution allows for species to adapt and thrive in whatever the climate may be, but if it occurs over the coarse of a few centuries you get mass extinction (which we are currently experiencing). Earth will survive, some animal and plant species will survive, humans might even survive, but with the direction we are headed you're looking at massive extinction events, dead oceans, unsustainable agriculture practices, wet-bulb climates making much of the earth uninhabitable, freshwater scarcity, mass migration and all the conflict that comes with resource scarcity. Even if human's adapt and survive it, it will still be untold suffering for billions that could have been avoided.

guerro

Banned
Raptor
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
This sounds like a Tesla (or big oil) hit piece …

Like, doesn’t the Mach e have a 270 mile range? Why would you freak out over 200 miles? He didn’t have google maps?
His model was a 230 range unit. Still, the story should be more about how this yahoo didn't properly plan for his trip, rather than his snowflake "panic" about finding a charging station after he already left and was 200 miles into the trip. Ford Pass app has charging station support and there are several other trip planning apps and tools readily available. A Better Route Planner is probably the top one right now.

Sounds like this kid needs a cry closet.

Username_not_found

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat 500 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
On that note, many many many consumers can and do live with a passenger EV just fine without experiencing any added inconvenience vs. if they owned an ICE vehicle. In many cases the ICE vehicle would represent the choice with higher amount of inconvenience. Different use cases have different priorities, and for some the EV is absolutely the best choice.
How dare you bring logic into this discussion. If an EV doesn't make sense for my 400 mile commute and compulsive weekly cross-country road trips through the most remote regions of the US then the EV is a worthless gimmick that shouldn't exist and nobody should buy them.

guerro

Banned
Raptor
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
You can't look at the climatic history of the Earth and use it to compare against human's ability to survive it. What you are describing is a climatic process that occurs over millions of years. Humans have existed for ~200,000 and you are looking at a "hothouse" climate that this planet hasn't experienced in the last 34 million years and saying "yeah we'll be fine. This happens all the time". Earth goes through natural climate change, but what we are experiencing is at an accelerated rate way beyond the Earth's natural cycle. When climate change occurs over millions of years evolution allows for species to adapt and thrive in whatever the climate may be, but if it occurs over the coarse of a few centuries you get mass extinction (which we are currently experiencing). Earth will survive, some animal and plant species will survive, humans might even survive, but with the direction we are headed you're looking at massive extinction events, dead oceans, unsustainable agriculture practices, wet-bulb climates making much of the earth uninhabitable, freshwater scarcity, mass migration and all the conflict that comes with resource scarcity. Even if human's adapt and survive it, it will still be untold suffering for billions that could have been avoided.
I heard from Al Gore that all of Florida will be under water by 2013.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Bold words! We can't even agree on whether or not to wear a mask. civilization is ending right before our eyes as we are still debating mask and climate change.

civilization wont ever end.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.