Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
  • Banned
Educated guesses on if Ford uses the extra time to do Mansquatch right? 4.88 or maybe 5.13 gears to offset the tires or half ass it and just keep the 4.70s because they have them in the parts bin? 5.13 manual 35's would probably feel about the same as the 4.7 manual 33's on the BL (would tempt me). Would also grab sales from people wanting to go even bigger on tires. The gearing choices in the parts catalog gives me hope that they will get the mechanicals right while the general apparent disarray of the launch makes me think they will just slap it together and call it a marketing triumph. Thoughts/predictions on the implementation (mechanically, electronically, or visually)?
Sponsored

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
If Ford had no plans to ā€œdo it rightā€, it would already be offered. Badlands isnā€™t that far off from a Sasquatch. They could have mailed it in months ago. I wonder if they will figure out how to add Trail Turn Assist to the Mansquatch? That would be cool.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think 4.7 gearing is going to be plenty. You can't use Jeep logic on a new vehicle.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think 4.7 gearing is going to be plenty. You can't use Jeep logic on a new vehicle.
@Drex do you think Ford is Jeeping out on us by not offering a bigger gear? It seems that their pockets are plenty deep for Fording that development river.

wvmtneer

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Iā€™m hoping for an updated 2.3 (DI and PI) or the miracle combination of 2.7/manual(my former dealer said this).

Sponsored

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Iā€™m hoping for an updated 2.3 (DI and PI) or the miracle combination of 2.7/manual(my former dealer said this).
Please clarify....

TJconvert2.7

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
How big a deal is it that the 2.3 doesnā€™t have DI, or that they use plastic oil pans, and what is carbon build up? Do you have to maintain it any differently? Only owned a turbo for 40k miles.

wvmtneer

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Please clarify....
I have two reservations, and i switched one somewhere else. Before I switched, my
Salesman said that a 2.7 manual is coming for 2022.
I do not believe it, but would order it if itā€™s true.

wvmtneer

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

How big a deal is it that the 2.3 doesnā€™t have DI, or that they use plastic oil pans, and what is carbon build up? Do you have to maintain it any differently? Only owned a turbo for 40k miles.
Some say installing a catch can and 5k oil changes are a good idea. Dual injection should increase power numbers as well, at least it did on my 2018 mustang gt.

OP
OP

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@Drex do you think Ford is Jeeping out on us by not offering a bigger gear? It seems that their pockets are plenty deep for Fording that development river.
The 315/70-17 is about 5% larger in diameter than the 33's. To get the same effective gearing to the ground would require 5% deeper gearing to attain the same mechanical advantage. 4.7 x 1.05 = 4.94.

4.88/manual gearing with the 315's would be slighty worse geared than the manual 4.7/33's, but would still drive fine. Ford made the Bandlands manual standard with the 4.7 gears, they chose that for a reason (I assume because it is the best for their various calibrations, but maybe not).

It would make sense to me that they keep the same effective gearing. (if you do the math, they increase the gearing the same percentage as the tire diameter in all the tire sizes for the all the trims. (haven't verified the base)) Since the the 'squatch wheels have more angular momentum due to size and increased weight. Moving to 5.13's would give a slightly better gearing at the ground and would help make up the added wheel mass and radius. I believe 5.13 manual 'squatch would drive very similarly to the manual 4.7/33's.

It would also attract those who want to go to an even bigger tire without having to regear.

Example;

All-Terrain T/A KO2
Size: 37X12.50R17 and 5.13 gears would be about the same at the ground as the 315's and a 4.7.

Would give a lot more flexibility in upsizing tires. Leaving Mansquatch at 4.70 would be fine, but better than fine would be a nice bonus.

Short version; no gear changes is fine, deeper gears is more better.

Sponsored

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The 315/70-17 is about 5% larger in diameter than the 33's. To get the same effective gearing to the ground would require 5% deeper gearing to attain the same mechanical advantage. 4.7 x 1.05 = 4.94.

4.88/manual gearing with the 315's would be slighty worse geared than the manual 4.7/33's, but would still drive fine. Ford made the Bandlands manual standard with the 4.7 gears, they chose that for a reason (I assume because it is the best for their various calibrations, but maybe not).

It would make sense to me that they keep the same effective gearing. (if you do the math, they increase the gearing the same percentage as the tire diameter in all the tire sizes for the all the trims. (haven't verified the base)) Since the the 'squatch wheels have more angular momentum due to size and increased weight. Moving to 5.13's would give a slightly better gearing at the ground and would help make up the added wheel mass and radius. I believe 5.13 manual 'squatch would drive very similarly to the manual 4.7/33's.

It would also attract those who want to go to an even bigger tire without having to regear.

Example;

All-Terrain T/A KO2
Size: 37X12.50R17 and 5.13 gears would be about the same at the ground as the 315's and a 4.7.

Would give a lot more flexibility in upsizing tires. Leaving Mansquatch at 4.70 would be fine, but better than fine would be a nice bonus.

Short version; no gear changes is fine, deeper gears is more better.
Seems I totally failed on my joke.

Leonides037

Badlands
First Name
Leonides Roa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 BMW 550i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Example;

All-Terrain T/A KO2
So with 5.13, my RPM would stay the same as stock in relation to speed from original? Iā€™m too lazy to calculate it myself šŸ˜‚, but thatā€™s what I want when I put 37ā€. And also, what is mansquatch?