First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Ford Excursion, 79 Ford Bronco, 04 Toyota Camry
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Was anyone else aware of these 2 interesting features available with the 7-speed manual?

Awesome!

I don't know what they do exactly but what I THINK they COULD be:
  • "Crank-in-Gear":
    • Ability to sit in Crawler gear (and maybe reverse?) with engine off, crank engine starter to creep forwards/backwards
    • This is common in the hardcore rock-crawler community to achieve super high resolution slow speed
  • Hill descent control
    • Geez who knows!
Ford Bronco Manual 7 Speed - Crank In Gear function and Hill Descent Control revealed 1604954657522
Sponsored

BlueOvalBandit

Badlands
First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hill Descent Control ~ IE: Downshift and let off the gas
Yeah, that's a normal unmentioned function of all manuals.

But since they specifically call it out, what extra does it do that any manual transmission on the face of the earth can't do without this special "hill descent control".

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yeah, these have been mentioned in some of the various trim level guides that started floating around once B&P went live.

Another advantage of CIG - lets you do the hill recovery technique that some folks swear by should you stall on the way up (was tought it during a LR driving school session in a Defender).

But since they specifically call it out, what extra does it do that any manual transmission on the face of the earth can't do without this special "hill descent control".
If it's like other systems that use the same name, it's bascially a form of cruise meant for low-speed, steep angle descents. Basically just works the ABS system to help maintain a set speed.

OP
OP
vrewald14

vrewald14

Badlands
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah, these have been mentioned in some of the various trim level guides that started floating around once B&P went live.

Another advantage of CIG - lets you do the hill recovery technique that some folks swear by should you stall on the way up (was tought it during a LR driving school session in a Defender).
Can you elaborate on exactly what the technique is that is being sworn by? Sounds interesting...

Sponsored

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am bummed that it indicates no factory option for fog lights in the steel bumper.

OP
OP
vrewald14

vrewald14

Badlands
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hill Descent Control ~ IE: Downshift and let off the gas
This would certainly be the obvious and underwhelming answer to what the feature means :LOL:

Maybe it's me hoping for something a bit more elaborate and creative... ?

Petey

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This would certainly be the obvious and underwhelming answer to what the feature means :LOL:

Maybe it's me hoping for something a bit more elaborate and creative... ?
It's a super innovative technology!

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Can you elaborate on exactly what the technique is that is being sworn by? Sounds interesting...
Sworn by might be strong. Most references I've seen come from UK and Australian off-road sources, tbh.

But - if you stall on steep hill and want to back down it, but do so without rolling...
https://www.offroadaussie.com/how-t...ep-hills-in-a-4wd/#How_To_Do_A_Stall_Recovery
  1. Allow the vehicle to stall. Do not touch the clutch. This is harder than you think. It’s difficult not to automatically put your foot on the clutch.
  2. As you stall, put your foot on the foot brake.
  3. Engage the handbrake. You now have 3 things preventing you from going backwards.
    1. You’re still in gear,
    2. Your foot brake,
    3. Your hand brake.
  4. Put your foot on the clutch.
  5. Put the vehicle into reverse gear and engage low range if you haven’t already.
  6. Take your foot off the clutch.
  7. With your foot brake on, release the handbrake.
  8. Carefully and slowly remove your foot brake. With reverse gear engaged, but the engine turned off, you’ll remain still.
  9. Turn the key to start the engine with your foot off the clutch. Back down the hill in gear.

TriggerTX

First Name
Trigger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
61 Ford T-Bird, Autozam AZ-1, Golf R, Suburban 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Also, Crank in Gear is really useful when your clutch decides to fail you 300 miles from home. Been there in my D90. It made it possible to stop for stop lights by stalling the engine, then get going again by cranking her to life.

Sponsored

_2020_

Badlands
First Name
Sylvain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mini Countryman S , 2015 JKU, 2017 X5 3.5i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sworn by might be strong. Most references I've seen come from UK and Australian off-road sources, tbh.

But - if you stall on steep hill and want to back down it, but do so without rolling...
https://www.offroadaussie.com/how-t...ep-hills-in-a-4wd/#How_To_Do_A_Stall_Recovery
  1. Allow the vehicle to stall. Do not touch the clutch. This is harder than you think. It’s difficult not to automatically put your foot on the clutch.
  2. As you stall, put your foot on the foot brake.
  3. Engage the handbrake. You now have 3 things preventing you from going backwards.
    1. You’re still in gear,
    2. Your foot brake,
    3. Your hand brake.
  4. Put your foot on the clutch.
  5. Put the vehicle into reverse gear and engage low range if you haven’t already.
  6. Take your foot off the clutch.
  7. With your foot brake on, release the handbrake.
  8. Carefully and slowly remove your foot brake. With reverse gear engaged, but the engine turned off, you’ll remain still.
  9. Turn the key to start the engine with your foot off the clutch. Back down the hill in gear.
Fancy name for using the gear as an extra brake to remain still... ?

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Fancy name for using the gear as an extra brake to remain still... ?
I guess, but might as well show the process to someone interested in learning if you're going to respond, no?

OP
OP
vrewald14

vrewald14

Badlands
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Also, Crank in Gear is really useful when your clutch decides to fail you 300 miles from home. Been there in my D90. It made it possible to stop for stop lights by stalling the engine, then get going again by cranking her to life.
This then begs an important question we don't have the answer to:

Does the "Crank-in-gear" feature allow the vehicle to start, or does it disengage the ignition? Or both?

Obviously being selectable for what you want to do would be best. I was making the assumption that to enable Crank-in-gear, they would probably DISABLE ignition and engine starting.

BlueOvalBandit

Badlands
First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This then begs an important question we don't have the answer to:

Does the "Crank-in-gear" feature allow the vehicle to start, or does it disengage the ignition? Or both?

Obviously being selectable for what you want to do would be best. I was making the assumption that to enable Crank-in-gear, they would probably DISABLE ignition and engine starting.
On Tacomas, it will start the engine

They call it, clutch start cancel.

_2020_

Badlands
First Name
Sylvain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mini Countryman S , 2015 JKU, 2017 X5 3.5i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I guess, but might as well show the process to someone interested in learning if you're going to respond, no?
True, coming from Europe, drove there 20 years since I was 16, there are many tricks to learn on a manual...
Like start with no battery, shifting with a dead clutch, of course control speed descending or approaching curve/traffic, use gear as a parking break. Reasons for me to stick with a manual and teach my kids!
Sponsored