First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I was really hoping that with MY22 that the Mid Package could be had with a manual trans on the Big Bend trim level. I having to spend $8,500 to move up to the BadLands level seem ridiculous to be able to have a stick with the mid package. What is likelihood Ford will allow the mid package with a stick on the lower trim levels?
Sponsored

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

TNBronc4344

Badlands
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I know it’s ridiculous. If I could a mid package and MT on the black Diamond I would do that. But no ….forced to go to. badlands. Now I waited on a day three reservation to get a Mansquatch and once again get a slap in the face with the news that they are charging us the same price as a AT. All along I assumed a $1600 price reduction would happen. Not sure why I am surprised.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It’s the usual catch 22 issue with manual transmissions.

The take rate is too low on manual so they have to limit what trims/features are available to reduce production and development cost. But that just causes the take rate to be even lower. Ultimately it just creates this negative feedback loop where eventually manual transmissions are removed entirely from the lineup.

Ford isn’t the only manufacturer with this issue… it’s happening everywhere. I guess I should be happy that Ford is even offering a manual trans, because other than the Mustang this is the only vehicle it is available on. But it’s still frustrating.

Sponsored

Rahkmalla

Base
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 K900
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It just makes no sense, if they would just remove the stupid remote start from the mid package then there would be not issue.
That's not even the issue. mid package is available on BL with manual trans (and no remote start). They have the technology, they can build it. They just dont really want to build bases, and in a few years when demand has leveled off and constraints are a thing of the past you'll see they wont really want to build big bends either. higher trim levels and higher packages are larger money makers for manufacturers than base models.

Moya7

Base
First Name
Maureen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW M240i, 2015 BMW 435i
Your Bronco Model
Base
I was really hoping that with MY22 that the Mid Package could be had with a manual trans on the Big Bend trim level. I having to spend $8,500 to move up to the BadLands level seem ridiculous to be able to have a stick with the mid package. What is likelihood Ford will allow the mid package with a stick on the lower trim levels?
Uh, Black Diamond has the Mid available.

Moya7

Base
First Name
Maureen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW M240i, 2015 BMW 435i
Your Bronco Model
Base
Not with the manual. B&P automatically kicks you to the 10-speed when you push the Mid button.
I stand corrected, just tried in B&P, that’s nuts.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It just makes no sense, if they would just remove the stupid remote start from the mid package then there would be not issue.
Yeah to @Rahkmalla ’s point it has nothing to do with whether it is actually possible or not. It has entirely to do with finances.

Developing and manufacturing of vehicles is cheapest when they are all exactly the same. However… you still have to offer some different packages and opinions to cater to people’s different tastes in order to entice them to buy your vehicle. So Ford has to play this delicate balance between providing enough options to make people happy but not so many options that it costs a fortune to actually build the vehicles.

There isn’t many manual transmission drivers left in this country. Ford knows that if you drive a manual transmission, you are probably doing so for one of two reasons:
  1. Because you are looking to save money
  2. Because you are an enthusiast who really enjoys driving a manual.
If you are looking to save money, chances are you aren’t looking to get an equipment package away. And if you are an enthusiast, you are likely buying the enthusiast trim—which is Badlands. Therefore, to reduce manufacturing costs, they are only offering the widest array of options for the manual transmission on the Badlands trim.

It sucks, but Ford isnt the only manufacturer that does this. And unfortunately the only way to solve the problem is to get more people to drive manual. Highly unlikely to happen now that many vehicle lines are moving to hybrid/electric.

Sponsored

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I'd like mid and manual too, maybe '23 if we keep bothering Ford about it they'll make it available.

Go_Galt

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'd like mid and manual too, maybe '23 if we keep bothering Ford about it they'll make it available.
IMO it's not gonna happen. Additionally, I'd put money on the manual option going completely extinct within 2-3 model years (the rationale given will be "Muh take rate").

Demoncleaner

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave 6 speed
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
At least Jeep let’s you select the options you want with a manual. The only extra I wanted on my Mojave was heated seats. Boom, cold weather package stand alone option. Like most other manufacturers you still have to ascend the trim ladder for certain things, but they do a much better job catering to their customers than Ford.

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
That's not even the issue. mid package is available on BL with manual trans (and no remote start). They have the technology, they can build it. They just dont really want to build bases, and in a few years when demand has leveled off and constraints are a thing of the past you'll see they wont really want to build big bends either. higher trim levels and higher packages are larger money makers for manufacturers than base models.
Yep. It's a way of forcing you up in trims if it's something you really want.

Also I will disagree on not wanting to build big bends. I feel confident once production if it ever gets to full speed you will see Big Bend is what makes up a majority of dealer stock. Just like the XLT makes up a a huge chunk of dealer stock on F-150s
Sponsored