Sponsored

Manual Sasquatch or Auto Sasquatch?

Who's going with the 2.3 Manual Sasquatch? Whos going with the Automatic Sasquatch

• Total voters

lowmpg

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Auto 2.7, why, 2.7 power and tuning capability, 10spd auto is far more efficient than a 6-speed manual (crawler gear will rarely ever apply for most IMHO). Now if I planned to only take this on weekend trips in the woods? Maybe a manual.
Sponsored

BroncoV6Stick

Wildtrak
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150 Platinum 3.5 Ecoboost
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Let's get really crazy. How about the 2.7 mansquatch for option 7? ?

I do wonder, how many that are gonna go with the 2.3 to get the manual would instead get a 2.7 if it was available with the manual?
I definitely would go with the 2.7 manual.

tlowell01

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Probably one of the few on here that would take the 2.3L+manual even if 2.7L+manual was available. I think it’s got plenty of hp and torque for what I’ll be doing, and I’d just assume spend the savings of not getting the 2.7L other places in the build.

HeritageRider

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Xterra Pro-4X 2014 Focus SE 5MT 1994 H-D
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm all in for a base + Squatch for $34,995 - $1300 at Stephens! If they offered the 2.7 with a manual, I'd be all over that. I'll just have to hit the aftermarket for skid plates.

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The 2.3L "would have been" perfectly fine for me IF it had the Direct AND Port Fuel Injection, but it currently doesn't. Yes it will have enough power to handle the 35's (and most likely larger), but I can't get past the Direct Injection Only. So it's not an option "for me". I also want a MT (for some personal & sentimental reasons), so the AT is not an option "for me".

So.... I'm just sitting here waiting for FoMoCo to either offer the 2.7L w/MT or to add the Port Injection to the 2.3L. ?‍♂ Hopefully FoMoCo will offer one of these options for 2022.

Sponsored

Curly

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04' Jeep Liberty, 79' Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'd 100% be in.

Really, if it weren't for the daughter hounding me about wanting a manual to learn on, I think I'd be 2.7 with the forced auto, but who knows, the wife prefers manuals also.....
Sounds like you have a couple of fine ladies!!

lowmpg

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Last edited:

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't think there is a single test of a modern transmission that shows manuals putting better mpg. Simple physics of 10 gears vs 6 gears (or computer controlled shifting)

https://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/five-myths-about-stick-shifts.html

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel...y/better-fuel-economy-manual-or-automatic.htm
Test are setup with PARAMETERS that everyday MT drivers might tend not to do.

I tend to "coast" way more than those test (among other things). I constantly will try to get more MPG. It like when you plugin a destination into your GPS and it states that it will take you X amount of time to get there and you immediately say... "I can beat that!"

So... those EPA Ratings to me are just like the GPS telling me that it's going to take X amount of time to get to where I'm going.

lowmpg

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Test are setup with PARAMETERS that everyday MT drivers might tend not to do.

I tend to "coast" way more than those test (among other things). I constantly will try to get more MPG. It like when you plugin a destination into your GPS and it states that it will take you X amount of time to get there and you immediately say... "I can beat that!"

So... those EPA Ratings to me are just like the GPS telling me that it's going to take X amount of time to get to where I'm going.
Maybe. I'll happily post up my MPGs when I get my 2.7 Auto and then I'll have real MPG numbers and see if a 6spd (even with a 2.3) beats it.

Randy92Fox

Base
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 Half Cab, 7.3 Powerstroke, 5.0 Convertible Fox
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

That is enough power...I just don't know if I want to rely on a tune that's not yet available to move the truck. The stock 2.3 has similar power numbers to my FJ...and the FJ is under-powered with big tires on the highway, even with appropriate gearing. I don't want to be in that boat again.
Torque is what is important for spinning the big tires and assuming you're talking about the most recent FJ the 2.3 has 40 lb-ft of peak torque over the FJ and the 2.3 torque comes on at a lower RPM.

Sponsored

Adventure bound

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No need to worry about carbon build up on the valves in the 2.3. Very rarely it’s a problem, and if it were to be a problem it is easily cleaned using proper fuel injection cleaner and tools. Very reliable engine.

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I would venture to guess out of the ~5% of us that are going manual, ~2% would go 2.7L if possible. I know I would definitely go 2.7 manual if they offered it
I'd go 2.7 just because it's a much better-built engine. That and no valve cleanings.

HobbyPro

Black Diamond
First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Telluride
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The way I drive an auto my mpg is TRASH. I’m sure some of you will laugh but I don’t know how to do it. My wife drives our 2020 Kia and gets 25mpg. I drive the car and get 13 with normal not spirited driving. Every automatic I’ve ever been in including brand new vehicles hunts for gears when I drive.

I don't think there is a single test of a modern transmission that shows manuals putting better mpg. Simple physics of 10 gears vs 6 gears (or computer controlled shifting)

https://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/five-myths-about-stick-shifts.html

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel...y/better-fuel-economy-manual-or-automatic.htm
Sponsored