First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I don't think many people would recommend operating in neutral for any length of time.
I've never had a problem doing it in any manual I have owned (all of which never had a failure other than 1 clutch replacement and 1 being submerged above the breather too much). Would I roll in neutral in a semi, no because the brakes need help from the engine keeping that weight under control. But on a regular passenger vehicle I have no problem with it. However my point was that 6th gear would be welcome in a downhill situation even if its useless uphill or in flatlands.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ProdigyJKU

ProdigyJKU

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I don't think many people would recommend operating in neutral for any length of time.
There is nothing wrong with operating in neutral, as long as your not holding the clutch in. Our manual trans work trucks run all day long in neutral to power the pto. Over 80% of there engine hours are from running in neutral.

I think your confusing holding the clutch in, with idling in neutral.

Going downhill I would leave it in gear to reduce brake fatigue.

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
There is nothing wrong with operating in neutral, as long as your not holding the clutch in. Our manual trans work trucks run all day long in neutral to power the pto. Over 80% of there engine hours are from running in neutral.

I think your confusing holding the clutch in, with idling in neutral.

Going downhill I would leave it in gear to reduce brake fatigue.
I meant that being in gear is better in many ways vs being in neutral and braking.

BDSteelies

Black Diamond
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door Velocity Blue BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I meant that being in gear is better in many ways vs being in neutral and braking.
I think it’s up for debate/preference. Downshifting to a stop certainly results in more clutch wear but like you said coasting in neutral to a stop increases break wear. I tend to switch back and forth with heavy city driving depending on the situation.

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I think it’s up for debate/preference. Downshifting to a stop certainly results in more clutch wear but like you said coasting in neutral to a stop increases break wear. I tend to switch back and forth with heavy city driving depending on the situation.
I was originally commenting to someone going downhill in neutral and braking.

For me, when coming to a stop 95% of the time I leave it in the current gear until a few hundo rpm above idle and then clutch in.

People who downshift through every gear are dummies.

Sponsored

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Sounds reasonable. If you put larger tires on, you lose efficiency and the effectiveness of the gear ratio.

The ratio for 6th is obviously for relatively flat highway cruising. If cruising in boost bothers you, downshift and use the higher RPM's instead if you already have seen that fuel economy is the same.
Sponsored