Sponsored

Manual transmission - Clutch slipping at highway speeds with the cruise control on?

cyberfalco

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 JK, 2000 Ram 2500, 1993 FZJ80, 1994 FZJ80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Has anyone else experienced your clutch letting go or slipping when going 75MPh with the cruise control on? What happened to me on my trip between Arkansas and Arizona this weekend is I had the cruise set to 75MPh, 6th gear, then suddenly I lost power for a second (no boost either) then it would kick back on. It did this several times. This happens when I the cruise increases throttle suddenly when ascending a hill. So far if I cancel the cruise and just maintain speed manually, it does not slip. Once I get back home, I am going to try and recreate the problem by getting on the highway and hitting 70MPh, then give it some throttle to see if I can make it slip on a regular basis.

This is on a Bronco with only 2000 miles. This is the first time I've experienced it but Arkansas is pretty flat so the cruise never had a reason to give the vehicle a lot of throttle to keep speed going up a hill.

Typically in a manual with cruise control, you would just slow down if you were going uphill and didn't have enough gear.
Sponsored

OP
OP
cyberfalco

cyberfalco

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

To add there has been a few times now on this trip were the clutch definitely slipped when going up hill at speeds faster than 50MPH.

GaryB2220

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 4runner, '10 Town & Country
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

1970AMCAMX

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, AMC AMX, DF Goblin
Your Bronco Model
Base
That does not sound like a slipping clutch, if it was it would not re-engage, and you would notice it when under heavy or sudden acceleration with or without the cruise control. Sounds more like the engine is losing power.

Do the RPM's rise without the speed increasing?

Just a shot in the dark, but it sounds more like a malfunctioning blow off valve causing a loss in boost.

Havoc1

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 F250, 20 Accord Sport, 21 HD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It sounds like it's just bogging down, 6th is not the greatest to use for acceleration.

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I drove my manual from Arkansas to Idaho and back at speeds up to 82mph with the cruise and never had any issues. I wasn't in 6th gear though. I want 2600-2800 rpms and almost no boost when I'm cruising. 6th gear is too low rpm and almost always in boost. I have no use for 6th gear.

It's possible that it's your clutch, but maybe you're in too low RPM and it just shuts down. If your clutch is slipping, your RPM should jump up quite a bit while speed remains the same or slows down.

Boreal

Badlands
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cspencephoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I drove my manual from Arkansas to Idaho and back at speeds up to 82mph with the cruise and never had any issues. I wasn't in 6th gear though. I want 2600-2800 rpms and almost no boost when I'm cruising. 6th gear is too low rpm and almost always in boost. I have no use for 6th gear.

It's possible that it's your clutch, but maybe you're in too low RPM and it just shuts down. If your clutch is slipping, your RPM should jump up quite a bit while speed remains the same or slows down.
These are similar to my thoughts too. Running up a hill in 6th, is going to be asking too much of the Bronco.. we don’t have enough low end to chug it up the incline without going DEEP into boost which in turn adds crazy amounts of load to the engine. I could see the ECU programming cutting boost due to overloading as a preventative safety measure. Whenever you are cruising up a hill, as @kodiakisland mentioned, try to float around 3k - the Twinscroll turbo should run peak efficiency between 2800-4500rpms. You might have to downshift to 4th, but the drivetrain will be pretty close to 1:1 at that point for optimal crank loads

Cruising in boost is a habit to avoid, IMO

OP
OP
cyberfalco

cyberfalco

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve caught the RPMs going up for a short time when it happens. I would not rule out the blow off valve though.

I own other vehicles with manuals and they typically just start slowing down if the gear os too high in cruise. This is a sudden loss of power then a re-engaugement. I caught it twice with a quick RPM spike when it happens.

OP
OP
cyberfalco

cyberfalco

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My plan on the way home is to shift to 5th for uphill climbs. My guess at first it was the engine cutting boost at high load.

JBowles

Badlands
First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would think you would smell it if the clutch was slipping like that

Sponsored
OP
OP
cyberfalco

cyberfalco

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m use to the diesel just pulling and not caring how much boost it is getting :)

OP
OP
cyberfalco

cyberfalco

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would think you would smell it if the clutch was slipping like that
That was my thought but never any smell. I am leaning back towards too much boost and the blow off valve opening.

OP
OP
cyberfalco

cyberfalco

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m going to hook up the scanner when I get home and record live data while trying to recreate it.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I do use 6th, but I never go faster than 70 so I don't need much if any boost to overcome drag like you would at 80+. I jump right to 5th at the slightest hint of an incline though.

I've never noticed anything like OP describes.

Boreal

Badlands
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cspencephoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That was my thought but never any smell. I am leaning back towards too much boost and the blow off valve opening.
I’m use to the diesel just pulling and not caring how much boost it is getting :)
Yea, these are completely different animals as far as driving habits go. Diesels have so much power down low, no traditional turbo-gas can compete.

Come to think of it, you might also be overboosting due to the mapping of Boost vs Load. If it’s not a programmed safety, it’s a mechanical one. Your wastegate could be doing a big dump which is the “slipping” you are feeling. Pay close attention to your boost pressure during these events, the more info you can take in on the scenario the better.

I do use 6th, but I never go faster than 70 so I don't need much if any boost to overcome drag like you would at 80+. I jump right to 5th at the slightest hint of an incline though.

I've never noticed anything like OP describes.
Same as Tricky, any hint of an incline, even a small bridge/overpass/interchange, I throw it into 5th. And If the boost starts loading up during a bigger climb, down to 4th she goes. Let it sit at 3000+ and then just keep an eye on the temps
Sponsored