Sponsored

"Manual Transmission Could Be Forced Into Retirement"

• Thread starter Deleted member 18388
  • Start date
  • Watchers 8

Deleted member 18388

https://fordauthority.com/2021/05/m...rced-into-retirement-as-safety-tech-advances/

I know this stated in here Ford has added "safety" features to the Bronco that will become mandatory on all vehicles in the future. Emergency braking, etc.. how autonomous is this world becoming? This is a scary article. To think that not only low take rates for manuals, but now safety requirements would get rid of it? That is ridiculous. There is less texting and driving with a manual, and less distracted driving in general with a manual. What are your thoughts?

This is another reason I'm getting the 7mt. Not ready to let go of the stick.
Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

More safety features does not make the world “scary” to me.

Seatbelts, airbags, crumple zones, ABS, evasive steering systems, brake pre-load… bring it on.

From a public health stand point they’ve prevented countless needless deaths.

hellahella

Badlands
First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

"Thus, it seems that at least for now, Ford is willing to invest in adapting the latest safety tech to manual transmissions, which is great news for those that prefer to do their own shifting while behind the wheel."

OP
OP

Deleted member 18388

More safety features does not make the world “scary” to me.

Seatbelts, airbags, crumple zones, ABS, evasive steering systems, brake pre-load… bring it on.

From a public health stand point they’ve prevented countless needless deaths.
Specifically referring to automatic braking and adaptive cruise control in the article. I do not see those as necessary, nor helpful. To each as their own..

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Specifically referring to automatic braking and adaptive cruise control in the article. I do not see those as necessary, nor helpful. To each as their own..
I expect the people who have been rear-ended would disagree.

To each their own.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sponsored

Denny Swift

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
718 Spyder, 992 GTS, Citroen 2CV, Husky FE350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Its mainly the lack of demand that is causing the manual to disappear. Electrification will surely be the end. But emergency braking is irrelevant. Different manufacturers already offer emergency braking with manuals. Some have a simple switch that just pressurizes the clutch fluid (to engage the clutch) when the E braking kicks in. Others, like BMW, just lets the car stall. I think the latter makes more sense. If you just slam on your brakes in a panic stop in any vehicle with a manual transmission and don’t do anything with the clutch pedal, the car will stop just fine, but the engine will stall. No big deal.

But yeah as cars become more automated, they will certainly be less fun (by my definition). My Bronco will be a manual as has been every vehicle I’ve ever owned.

Also, there are cars with adaptive cruise with manuals (BMW and Porsche). There is no problem with that either.

OP
OP

Deleted member 18388

Its mainly the lack of demand that is causing the manual to disappear. Electrification will surely be the end. But emergency braking is irrelevant. Different manufacturers already offer emergency braking with manuals. Some have a simple switch that just pressurizes the clutch fluid (to engage the clutch) when the E braking kicks in. Others, like BMW, just lets the car stall. I think the latter makes more sense. If you just slam on your brakes in a panic stop in any vehicle with a manual transmission and don’t do anything with the clutch pedal, the car will stop just fine, but the engine will stall. No big deal.

But yeah as cars become more automated, they will certainly be less fun (by my definition). My Bronco will be a manual as has been every vehicle I’ve ever owned.
This is what I was trying to convey. When does the automation stop? Apparently never.

DieselSmack

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Audi Q5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Have been. Still disagree.
That's fine, but I agree fully with @ZackDanger. I have personally been inside the vehicle when emergency braking kicked in and prevented an accident. Why do you disagree?

There are a lot of examples of both, but I would rather the car automatically stop the car than being rear-ended. I like the idea of cars being safer when my kids start driving

Troy13

Big Bend
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota corolla
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I think your assumption that these safety features leads to more distracted driving is incorrect. I think cell phones as a whole have lead to more distracted driving and these safety features are just saving lives. Most of them can be turned off if you prefer but I don't think the steady decline of car crash deaths is a bad thing.

Sponsored

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Our new Impreza has all this, first car I have had with it, definitely interesting. I thought I would not like all the safety overrides, but I have been playing with them and they are acutely not too bad, the lane keeping feature works sorta but if I really let it go, it would ping pong the car off both barriers.

TXRancher

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have been itching for another manual since my last one went down to a distracted driver. It is a fine line between driver aid and driver excuse.

OP
OP

Deleted member 18388

I think your assumption that these safety features leads to more distracted driving is incorrect. I think cell phones have a whole have lead to more distracted driving and these safety features are just saving lives. Most of them can be turned off if you prefer but I don't think the steady decline of car crash deaths is a bad thing.
My point is that they want these safety features implemented, yet will phase out a manual transmission to accomplish it. Yet several studies have shown manual transmissions lead to less distracted driving. So why get rid of it if they want safety? Thats my point.

porjos

Black Diamond
First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Honestly, I think a safer assumption is that manual transmissions will be phased out by lack of consumer demand, rather than safety regulations. The masses just don't want them, and I see them only staying on enthusiast cars, if that.

I'm just thankful I was born in an era where I still have the option to buy an affordable manual trans vehicle.

Last edited:

DieselSmack

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Audi Q5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Honestly, I think a safer assumption is that manual transmissions will be phased out by lack of consumer demand, rather than safety regulations. The masses just don't want them, and I see them only staying on enthusiast cars, if that.
Agreed

There just wont be enough demand to engineer safety systems into both an automatic and a manual. the R&D just wont make any sense, maybe not initially but the death of the manual is 100% going to be because of demand, not regulation.
Sponsored