Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Any noticeable difference?
Shift feels different, not better or worse, but different. Kinda like I can feel the gears sliding more. Mine never made much noise, and still doesn’t. Just feel better knowing what’s in there and it’s filled. I have definitely gotten it to working temps and kept it there all day several times and seems to be fine. Will do 2 more 900 mile days next week.
Sponsored

MNBronc

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I put the Amsoil DCT in. Shifting feel is no different as far as I can tell. Seems similar viscosity. My transmission was/ is not making noises. The original fluid was nasty looking brown dirty stuff after 4k miles.

Last edited:

spuddy59

Base
First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
They use thin oil in transmissions these days largely for fuel economy reasons. And it too caught me by surprise to the first time I dealt with it. Definitely not like the manuals of old.

---

Anyway, I was going to copy ya'll and bought some fluid that I intended to put it in my Bronco. BUT, since I've been approved for a transmission replacement anyway, I opted to just use the fluid for my Focus since it was over-due (by my standards, which is every 30k). I will say that was... uhh... rather annoying project to do in your driveway.

But, I'll be watching this thread and closely waiting for ya'll to report back on the results.
What fluid did you plan to run?

When I get my clutch installed sometime this week I’d like to put some better fluid in the gearbox while the shop is messing around under there.

I’m leaning towards Synchro Shift II since a lot of the Mustang folks have good feedback on it.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What fluid did you plan to run?

When I get my clutch installed sometime this week I’d like to put some better fluid in the gearbox while the shop is messing around under there.

I’m leaning towards Synchro Shift II since a lot of the Mustang folks have good feedback on it.
Castrol Syntrans.

spuddy59

Base
First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Castrol Syntrans.
Interesting.

I saw your post regarding the Castrol, Ravenol MTF-3, and Motul DCTF. And I see a lot of popularity with Motul in the the MT82 D4; I’m guessing our gearbox is based from that MT82 but with an added crawler gear? Which of the three would you suggest for someone in the hot, southwestern climate? You mentioned the Castrol was the way to go in a colder environment.

Sponsored

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Castrol Syntrans.
While I have always trusted Castrol products - I have yet to see that discussed for these trannys. Why that choice?

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

While I have always trusted Castrol products - I have yet to see that discussed for these trannys. Why that choice?
To be honest… it’s because it’s the oil I had. I bought a box of it for my manual Focus when I moved from Arizona to New England years ago (Castrol had a really good reputation in colder environments) and still had several quarts left.

Castrol is becoming increasingly difficult to import these days, so I may try a different oil.
Interesting.

I saw your post regarding the Castrol, Ravenol MTF-3, and Motul DCTF. And I see a lot of popularity with Motul in the the MT82 D4; I’m guessing our gearbox is based from that MT82 but with an added crawler gear? Which of the three would you suggest for someone in the hot, southwestern climate? You mentioned the Castrol was the way to go in a colder environment.
Motul is indeed very popular in the Mustang community.

Redline has a very good reputation in warmer climates, and also among those who track their vehicles. But I have zero personal experience with it. I was waiting to hear what @kodiakisland ’s experience with it was longer term. But in theory that would be a good option.

As for me… now that Castrol is so difficult to find I may try to find an alternative. Theoretically the Motorcraft oil should be fine as long as you replace it every 30-50,000 miles or so. Or maybe I’ll try Amsoil’s DCT stuff, as that meets Ford’s spec.

Ideally I’d use my Focus as a test bed for different oils… except I’m now driving my Bronco more than my Focus… so… that plan probably won’t work. I think I’ve put less than a 1000 miles on my Focus since the Bronco arrived in the driveway.

Last edited:

spuddy59

Base
First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
To be honest… it’s because it’s the oil I had. I bought a box of it for my manual Focus when I moved from Arizona to New England years ago (Castrol had a really good reputation in colder environments) and still had several quarts left.

Castrol is becoming increasingly difficult to import these days, so I may try a different oil.

Motul is indeed very popular in the Mustang community.

Redline has a very good reputation in warmer climates, and also among those who track their vehicles. But I have zero personal experience with it. I was waiting to hear what @kodiakisland’s experience with it was longer term. But in theory that would be a good option.

As for me… now that Castrol is so difficult to find I may try to find an alternative. Theoretically the Motorcraft oil should be fine as long as you replace it every 30-50,000 miles or so. Or maybe I’ll try Amsoil’s DCT stuff, as that meets Ford’s spec.

Ideally I’d use my Focus as a test bed for different oils… except I’m now driving my Bronco more than my Focus… so… that plan probably won’t work. I think I’ve put less than a 1000 miles on my Focus since the Bronco arrived in the driveway.
Gotcha, I get deep in the rabbit hole on this and then seemingly snap out of it realizing that in all reality I'm splitting hairs here. For example, the running spreadsheet I'm keeping.

Ford Bronco Manual Transmission Fluid Garbage Capture.JPG

@kodiakisland, still feel that the change to Redline is only different? No better or worse?

Last edited:

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I also switched to the Redline MT-LV. In the current warmer temps, only hear a tiny bit of rattle when driving slowly in 1 or 2 gear. Previously had noise all the time, especially if idling in neutral. The real test will be when the temps drop significantly again. Been as low as the mid 50’s and it’s been silent. Got about 900 miles on the Redline, will be putting another 700 on it this weekend.

Can’t believe the oil did anything but felt it would not hurt to try. Changing is very simple other than protecting the exhaust from drips when refilling. Personally never had any issues with the shifting. Tranny is buttery smooth. Only had the rattle. If it continues to perform as is, saves a big headache with the dealer. Time will tell.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Gotcha, I get deep in the rabbit hole on this and then seemingly snap out of it realizing that in all reality I'm splitting hairs here. For example, the running spreadsheet I'm keeping.

Capture.JPG

@kodiakisland, still feel that the change to Redline is only different? No better or worse?

Yeah. Definitely not worse. I've pushed mine hard since changing the fluid. At least six 900+ miles days and about 10K miles in two months. Have another 1200+ I'll put on it this week in 110+ temps in TX. I know it's too soon to really tell if it's good or not, but so far I can't tell any negatives from switching to RL.

Sponsored

Chrome_Pony

Badlands
First Name
Chrome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2.3L Badlands High, 2017 LWN Duramax Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Im curious.
So you can look at oil and tell what the viscosity should be based on how it ‘drains’?
And what additives are needed on that diagnosis?

Are any of you either old enough or can remember the whole NV4500 fluid debacle?
I sure as shit am. That stupid 3rd gear! I still have one, one my 99 project 2500.

What did you end up using for fluid before you got fed up and sold them all?

Sparkherd

Badlands
First Name
Sparky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sparkherd.com
Vehicle(s)
Lifelong Ford guy.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I believe the service manual says 4mm from top

9442DD35-29AF-4ED0-B29E-059F985AB324.png
What kind of fucking injuneer comes up with "4mm from the oil fill plug"?!?
Fucking non-gear-head bookworms!!!
No one should hire dipshits like this...EVER!!!

Last edited:

Off road enthusiast

Badlands
First Name
Agi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So I finally got around to changing out transmission oil. After draining the oil I’ve come to conclusion that it’s absolutely shit oil they put in the transmissions. I have 12k miles on mine and it came out like water. No wonder why these things are failing so early. I started to get the rumble noise and also noticed 3rd gear was becoming more notchy to shift into. I bought BG Syncro Shift 2 and it is night and day. It shifts like butter again and I haven’t heard any rumbling noise yet. Will have to see on a cold start tomorrow morning if the noise is gone… fingers crossed. I understand the reason for the light weight oil for the transmission due to hitting those mpg numbers, I think Ford needs to re-evaluate the oil used. I’ve never had a manual gear box with this thin of an oil 😬.
I am thinking about using the BG Syncro Shift II. You had initially mentioned above that this is much better choice than standard transmission fluid. After driving your Bronco for a few months now, do you still recommend the BG Syncro Shift II? Is your Bronco still making the grinding noise that we all get on our manual Broncos??

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am thinking about using the BG Syncro Shift II. You had initially mentioned above that this is much better choice than standard transmission fluid. After driving your Bronco for a few months now, do you still recommend the BG Syncro Shift II? Is your Bronco still making the grinding noise that we all get on our manual Broncos??
I tried the BG, no change. Currently have RedLine MT-LV in there. Was quiet all summer but now that temps have dropped the rattle has come back. Shifts so smooth though, have not done anything else yet. I doubt any light weight fluid similar to stock will make any noticeable difference.
Sponsored