Sponsored

Manual Transmission on the 6 cylinder engine

Should Ford put the manual transmission on the 6 cylinder engine?

• Total voters

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Pretty sure they already said Never because the Tran isn’t rated for the torque of the 2.7
The getrag can be rated as high as 590lbft of torque. Same trans case different inputs, outputs, and internals. It was designed that way. Honestly I dont think we will see that HD model until they build the 6.8 baby godzilla V8. That would be a hell of a combo for Tremor 150 or Ranger. Possibly a last IC Raptor before they go EV. They are still building this offroad dominance empire. And there are still a couple of holes in their future projects whiteboard that was shown last year. I doubt much will happen before 2025 but 2025 to 2030 are going to be some good years as the last gasp of IC for mainstream consumers. Just hope the economy holds and the rich dont start moving off world.
Sponsored

Reactions: abe

Grooticus

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The getrag can be rated as high as 590lbft of torque. Same trans case different inputs, outputs, and internals. It was designed that way. Honestly I dont think we will see that HD model until they build the 6.8 baby godzilla V8. That would be a hell of a combo for Tremor 150 or Ranger. Possibly a last IC Raptor before they go EV. They are still building this offroad dominance empire. And there are still a couple of holes in their future projects whiteboard that was shown last year. I doubt much will happen before 2025 but 2025 to 2030 are going to be some good years as the last gasp of IC for mainstream consumers. Just hope the economy holds and the rich dont start moving off world.
All of this could be true, but that’s what they said 🤷🏻‍♂️

ColeTrain84

Badlands
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

if i could have gotten a manual with my 2.7 Badlands i would have

Alpine Blue

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F250 6.7l
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I finally got mine today. Badlands with the manual transmission. It drives great. Its not like shifting my old Jeep. Everything is so quiet and you cant feel the engine vibration in the shifter or even hear the engine on the highway. I could see that someone new to manual transmissions might have difficulty always knowing when to shift.

The Bronco has a little shorter travel on the clutch and shifter both. Its a different feeling shifting gears, but im glad i got it.

And that smaller engine.. not an issue at all. It feels like it has plenty of power to me. I just had it out on the interstate. At 80MPH it still has good pick up in high gear. I think they did a good job with the manual trans. This just seems like the kind of vehicle where you need the stick shift!

Sponsored

Baconator

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Chevrolet Suburban
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

cigartexan

First Edition
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 F100 SS - 2012 F-350 SD - 2021 4D Bronco FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

jehines3

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX350L, Chevrolet Silverado, Lincoln MKC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Id take the manual if it didn’t eliminate the remote start and trail turn.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I know it’s a pipe dream - but, I’m hoping for Manual Hybrid. 😬

#oxymoron
That is a serious pipe dream. The hybrid drivetrain is based on an automatic planetary transmission...

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I
I have consistently been amazed by the sheer will of the "just put an LS in it" crowd. It truly is one of the best "blank slate" engines ever made. The magazine thumpers will always hate on it, saying new engines are better. Most of them have never worked on one. If I have to work on it or buy parts for it, pushrod V8 > anything.
have the 5.3 in my H3T. The 4L60 trans sucks, but the small block is just a wonderful engine*, on par with a BMW N/A I6.

* strictly my opinion, I do not plan to write an internet thesis paper on the subject....

Sponsored

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Amen! I miss my 351's :(
^^This^^. My 95 Lightning had much less horsepower than either of the Broncos, but I’d take that engine / gear combination over any current offering. My grandkids still miss that “slam me in my seat” feeling and that throaty growl. I’m happy they got a chance to experience it. 351 for 1000 Alex!

Ok, back to the question. Yes, by all means. I’m an old fart. I still like rowing my gears and higher displacement.

JoeSpeed

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr 2.3 Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’d love to swap a 3.5 with a tremec, feel thats mores realistic than waiting for Ford to ever do it

OP
OP
Mgro

Mgro

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looks like Ford wanted the v8 after all, wish I could actually get one for myself!
Sponsored