Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 Ford Bronco ii
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Please abstain from the "if you want good fuel economy, get a prius" comments. I just took delivery of my Bronco and want to optimize my fuel economy when I'm daily driving. The truck is everything I wanted and more, but going from my 1988 Bronco ii 5 speed to this is presenting a bit of a learning curve haha. For example, it doesn't seem that any throttle is needed when releasing the clutch and getting moving in first? Is throttle really needed for shifting into any of the gears in this thing?? It definitely isn't needed to get moving in the crawler gear. Seems like for the most part, pop the clutch -> switch the gear -> and resume driving, not that far removed from one of the automatics with "manual" modes. haha I digress... What RPM ranges are ideal for shifting and cruising when trying to maximize fuel efficiency?
Sponsored

LowerSlowerDelaware

Base
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Chevy S10 Ram 3500
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The conventional wisdom is 3000 rpm in Normal. I averaged 20 mpg on my first tank since pick her up 9n Friday.

There is an ongoing thread for the 2.3 MT MPG discussion

OP
OP
AtomJester

AtomJester

Big Bend
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 Ford Bronco ii
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The conventional wisdom is 3000 rpm in Normal. I averaged 20 mpg on my first tank since pick her up 9n Friday.

There is an ongoing thread for the 2.3 MT MPG discussion
can you point me towards said thread? The search function is abysmal

JAC

Badlands
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Toyota Tundra; 2020 Acura RDX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Shift by 3000-3500 RPM, cruise at 1750-2000 RPM (not recommended to lug a turbo engine) but this is just one of many opinions on how to get the most out of your tank of gas. And City driving will always kill your mileage..

I know I'll experiment on driving styles to see what the best mileage will be.... But, this is a brick on wheels... Never going to get Prius MPG's

Cheers!

texashoya

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Please abstain from the "if you want good fuel economy, get a prius" comments. I just took delivery of my Bronco and want to optimize my fuel economy when I'm daily driving. The truck is everything I wanted and more, but going from my 1988 Bronco ii 5 speed to this is presenting a bit of a learning curve haha. For example, it doesn't seem that any throttle is needed when releasing the clutch and getting moving in first? Is throttle really needed for shifting into any of the gears in this thing?? It definitely isn't needed to get moving in the crawler gear. Seems like for the most part, pop the clutch -> switch the gear -> and resume driving, not that far removed from one of the automatics with "manual" modes. haha I digress... What RPM ranges are ideal for shifting and cruising when trying to maximize fuel efficiency?
Oh manā€¦you have me so happy that I ordered a manual (I ordered an auto as well, but thatā€™s a whole other story). Iā€™ve heard this GETRAG 7-speed is a joy to drive, but good to get some more real-world confirmation!

Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Should follow up after some time and let us know how you did.

When my Ford Focus (also manual transmission) was new I could easily get it to 44 MPG, now that I have almost 100,000 miles it's difficult to it to go above 38 MPG.

Obviously I can get no where close to 44 MPG in the Bronco, but if I can push it to 24 MPG I'll be happy.

BattleBornBronco

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Should follow up after some time and let us know how you did.

When my Ford Focus (also manual transmission) was new I could easily get it to 44 MPG, now that I have almost 100,000 miles it's difficult to it to go above 38 MPG.

Obviously I can get no where close to 44 MPG in the Bronco, but if I can push it to 24 MPG I'll be happy.
That will depend on trim. Seeing 15-17 mpg real world on my MT Badlands right now. Shift at 3000, cruise around 2200. Some freeway time in 5th for passing. 6th lugs a lot and will spoil the turbo quite a bit so think about heat soak when shooting for economy, too.

That said, I love the manualšŸ˜Ž

OP
OP
AtomJester

AtomJester

Big Bend
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 Ford Bronco ii
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

That will depend on trim. Seeing 15-17 mpg real world on my MT Badlands right now. Shift at 3000, cruise around 2200. Some freeway time in 5th for passing. 6th lugs a lot and will spoil the turbo quite a bit so think about heat soak when shooting for economy, too.

That said, I love the manualšŸ˜Ž
Can you elaborate on the turbo issue? I've never driven a manual turbo.

webspoke

Badlands
First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F450, GT350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you enable the boost gauge, or combination gauge in the instrument cluster, you can use that as your guide to throttle and rpm to use. Using more rpms, but with less boost, is typically more fuel efficient - 2200rpm no boost vs lugging it at 1500rpm and letting 5psi boost provide the torque to keep moving. In boost these engines are consuming fuel at the highest rate. So minimize boost for max economy.

Nothing wrong with using boost to accelerate to speed, but when cruising, pick a gear/rpm that will let you roll without boost most of the time.

Sponsored
OP
OP
AtomJester

AtomJester

Big Bend
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 Ford Bronco ii
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

If you enable the boost gauge, or combination gauge in the instrument cluster, you can use that as your guide to throttle and rpm to use. Using more rpms, but with less boost, is typically more fuel efficient - 2200rpm no boost vs lugging it at 1500rpm and letting 5psi boost provide the torque to keep moving. In boost these engines are consuming fuel at the highest rate. So minimize boost for max economy.

Nothing wrong with using boost to accelerate to speed, but when cruising, pick a gear/rpm that will let you roll without boost most of the time.
thank you, super helpful

drive21bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have been averaging a little over 23 mpg in my 2 door black diamond. I have been up shifting around 2,700-3,000 RPM and Down shifting when my rpms drop below 1,900 generally. I have had mine for a little over a week and commute with a mix of city and highway driving, more so highway driving I would have to say. This Bronco has been an absolute joy to drive with the standard transmission.

OP
OP
AtomJester

AtomJester

Big Bend
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 Ford Bronco ii
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

if we are controlling the shifts... Is there really any benefit to eco mode?

BattleBornBronco

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can you elaborate on the turbo issue? I've never driven a manual turbo.
When driving you will have a choice of which gear youā€™re in (obviously), well in 6th it will lug and spool the turbo above 10 psi regularly while the Bronco needs less turbo in 5th. All the spooling (and Iā€™m assuming fuel to match) increase temps. Thereā€™s a balance to it and it varies with speed. At 55-60, Iā€™ll take 5th over 6th gear any day since there is usually no boost and easier drivability. Seems to keep temps down.
Sponsored