Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 4-DR Bronco - Cyber Orange
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So hear me out. After watching Engineering Explained's new video about the Bronco's crawler ratio, I got to thinking a bit. His math obviously pans out and to get to this 94.75:1 number, you have to use the 4.7 Final Drive Ratio as well as it having a crawler gear and therefore having to be manual.

According to Ford's spreadsheet, the only time this 4.7 Final Drive Ratio is mentioned is under the Sasquatch Package description at the bottom. People have speculated about Mike Levine's being a PR move (he is the Communications Manager) and I am now beginning to believe this theory more. They have heavily advertised their 94.75:1 crawl ratio, and the only way to get this according to their spreadsheet is to combine the MT and the Sasquatch Package.

Engineering Explained does say that this 4.7 Final Drive Ratio only comes in the manual Badlands trim, but I find it hard to believe that they are advertising this crawl ratio when it only applies to a single Bronco combination.

Am I speculating too much? What are your guys' thoughts?
Sponsored

ThtDroneGuy

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I believe there might be some confusion in that. If I am not mistaken you can get the 4.70 final drive in either the manual transmission or with the Sasquatch package. Meaning if you got a 2.7 Eco with the Sasquatch Package you will still have the 4.70 final drive just not the crawler gear because that is only on the Manual Trans. My question is what is the drive ratio for First gear with the Auto and how close that comes to the Crawl Gear on the manual drive ratio.

GoneAndDusted

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So hear me out. After watching Engineering Explained's new video about the Bronco's crawler ratio, I got to thinking a bit. His math obviously pans out and to get to this 94.75:1 number, you have to use the 4.7 Final Drive Ratio as well as it having a crawler gear and therefore having to be manual.

According to Ford's spreadsheet, the only time this 4.7 Final Drive Ratio is mentioned is under the Sasquatch Package description at the bottom. People have speculated about Mike Levine's being a PR move (he is the Communications Manager) and I am now beginning to believe this theory more. They have heavily advertised their 94.75:1 crawl ratio, and the only way to get this according to their spreadsheet is to combine the MT and the Sasquatch Package.

Engineering Explained does say that this 4.7 Final Drive Ratio only comes in the manual Badlands trim, but I find it hard to believe that they are advertising this crawl ratio when it only applies to a single Bronco combination.

It's called marketing. The Bronco has an available 94.75:1 crawl ratio...by buying the Badlands with the manual transmission.

OP
OP
gmoney

gmoney

Black Diamond
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I believe there might be some confusion in that. If I am not mistaken you can get the 4.70 final drive in either the manual transmission or with the Sasquatch package. Meaning if you got a 2.7 Eco with the Sasquatch Package you will still have the 4.70 final drive just not the crawler gear because that is only on the Manual Trans. My question is what is the drive ratio for First gear with the Auto and how close that comes to the Crawl Gear on the manual drive ratio.
According to Autoweek, the automatic Bronco will have a crawl ratio of 67.8:1 (JLs have a 77.24:1 for reference)

Sponsored
OP
OP
gmoney

gmoney

Black Diamond
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It's called marketing. The Bronco has an available 94.75:1 crawl ratio...by buying the Badlands with the manual transmission.
Yeah maybe. Just feels awfully misleading of them to advertise a 95:1 crawl ratio without the disclaimer that only a single model has that capability

ThtDroneGuy

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Yeah maybe. Just feels awfully misleading of them to advertise a 95:1 crawl ratio without the disclaimer that only a single model has that capability
It is not a single model though. All of the manual trans have the crawl gear regardless of the trim level.

TheDo114

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It's no different than the towing capability ads for any truck. Can tow 100000000lbs on this super specific 4x2 package you can't find anywhere and will have to place a custom order for, while the rest of the lineup has way less towing capabilities.

Still sucks but it generates hype.

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

According to Autoweek, the automatic Bronco will have a crawl ratio of 67.8:1 (JLs have a 77.24:1 for reference)
Not that anyone cares but the auto will have a better crawl ratio than you would think by just stacking ratios, at least slightly. This is true of the Bronco or Jeep. You would have to divide the crawl ratio by the current speed ratio of the torque converter, which is an unknown but 0.6-0.9 would be a fair guess.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I believe they were gauging our reaction if anything, see how we'd react

Still hold out hope

Toyhoarder

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Early Bronco, F-150, F-450
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It gets better. They were advertising best in class articulation/RTI score. Turns out this only applies to the Badlands WITHOUT Sasquatch. Sasquatch limits up travel to prevent the 35” tires from rubbing.

TMWSTW1984

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Toyota MR2
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Alright so whats better in any scenario when offroading: Black Diamond with Sas & Manual, if it happens, or Badlands.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gmoney

gmoney

Black Diamond
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Alright so whats better in any scenario when offroading: Black Diamond with Sas & Manual, if it happens, or Badlands.
That's a good question. I feel that they'll be close in price point too (depending on the Sasquatch pricetag)

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Badlands come with 4.70 gears with manual transmission. That is how you get the 95 crawl ratio. Hopefully 4.70 gears will be optional for lower trims so all can have that ratio.
Sponsored