Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
—
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So question to all going thru this ... Knowing what you know now before you ordered would you have switched to the automatic? My order isn't even going to be built until Q2 and was really looking forward to the manual but I can't have something that's going to be back and forth to the dealer. I know the "fix" is out there but nothing to report yet. Anyrate, hoping for the best and a quick (relative yes) fix is implemented before mine goes down the line.
No shot — 7MT or nothing. With the Badlands gearing it’s a dream to drive. Even with the grinding issue, the transmission still feels smoother than any other manual I’ve owned.
Sponsored

UM_Ftown

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 5.9, 01 XJ
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Have there been any failures? Seems like lots of noise but no failures. Kinda reminds me of the GM pistons slap fiasco from the early 2000s although there was no bulletin on that one, just lots of complaints. Some of those engines may still be going today with 500k+ miles still with piston slap lol.

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
—
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Have there been any failures? Seems like lots of noise but no failures. Kinda reminds me of the GM pistons slap fiasco from the early 2000s although there was no bulletin on that one, just lots of complaints. Some of those engines may still be going today with 500k+ miles still with piston slap lol.
I haven’t heard of any failures, but we’ve heard of pretty nasty transmission fluid coming out of these boxes. If this synchro issue is creating lots of metal fragments in the transmission fluid, I’m sure it’s a matter of time until the rest of the gearbox gets pretty chewed up as well.

smiths65

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 RAM1500 BigHorn
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mine goes in 1/10 for the TSB, bronco has been nothing but a TSB service bitch, a pillar leak, seats...now the window & mirror switch aren't powered, joy ;)

Sponsored

Off road enthusiast

Badlands
First Name
Agi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mine goes in 1/10 for the TSB, bronco has been nothing but a TSB service bitch, a pillar leak, seats...now the window & mirror switch aren't powered, joy ;)
Same here! Oil leak from timing chain cover, and nonstop grinding noise (on my second transmission) I am waiting to hear from my dealer as his mechanic has been on sick leave for the last few months .. other dealers I called, did not want to bother with the TSB.

saban

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
so if the TSB is using the same parts as the original...what is the point of the TSB

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
—
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

so if the TSB is using the same parts as the original...what is the point of the TSB
It’s possible there was some issue with installation or fluid level from the factory, but without any confirmation from @Ford Motor Company, your guess is as good as ours. They haven't provided any explanation around the cause of the issue, so who knows.

DUG

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, 2023 BRZ, 2022 R1, 2020 Speed Twin
Your Bronco Model
Base
I posted in the the poll thread.

1 week old base with 85 miles on the clock.

Trans has went from not noticeable at pickup to sounding like a bowl of spinning marbles 4 days later.

Dealership can't get it in till Jan 4th.

So until then its a parked box of useless.

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
—
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I posted in the the poll thread.

1 week old base with 85 miles on the clock.

Trans has went from not noticeable at pickup to sounding like a bowl of spinning marbles 4 days later.

Dealership can't get it in till Jan 4th.

So until then its a parked box of useless.
All of us have a noise with varying degrees of volume, and I haven’t heard of a single person develop an actual driveability issue. I don’t think you need to worry that much about driving it in it’s current state, especially if the noise goes away on warm up.

Sponsored

DUG

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, 2023 BRZ, 2022 R1, 2020 Speed Twin
Your Bronco Model
Base
Well yeah... you can drive anything until you can't. But at the rate of current deterioration I don't have alot of faith.

And it doesn't go away when it warms up.

Also, the trans is clearly making metal that's getting puked through the whole gear box. The TSB is only to replace 2 syncros. I'd just assume not run metal through it continuously incase I only get a rebuild vs replacement.

Per the numbers of complaints I'm guessing MT88 cases will be in short supply.

MannyG20

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well yeah... you can drive anything until you can't. But at the rate of current deterioration I don't have alot of faith.

And it doesn't go away when it warms up.

Also, the trans is clearly making metal that's getting puked through the whole gear box. The TSB is only to replace 2 syncros. I'd just assume not run metal through it continuously incase I only get a rebuild vs replacement.

Per the numbers of complaints I'm guessing MT88 cases will be in short supply.
I’m driving mine. I just got back from a 1500 mile road trip. If the entire trans falls apart I will leave it on the dealers doorstep.

RobBob22

Base
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F250 SuperDuty
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I’m not sure this was ever posted here but an owner in a FB group posted that they had the TSB performed and the sound went away.

They included these pictures of the 5 and 6th gear having “friction weld” burn marks on them. Oil was also visibly discolored with metal. I screen grabbed those pictures of the gears. Not my content so I can’t offer much more of an explanation. This owner reported the dealer replaced these gears as well.

Ford Bronco Manual transmission scraping noise / grinding sound 33E83BE2-DCE7-45BC-9B6D-C7FA463B276F
Ford Bronco Manual transmission scraping noise / grinding sound 4979B7EA-A1CD-4CDB-8FA9-279338E288F0
Ford Bronco Manual transmission scraping noise / grinding sound 84D9FBFB-38EF-4C11-AB71-E65F192AEF0B

Mortonm

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’m not sure this was ever posted here but an owner in a FB group posted that they had the TSB performed and the sound went away.

They included these pictures of the 5 and 6th gear having “friction weld” burn marks on them. Oil was also visibly discolored with metal. I screen grabbed those pictures of the gears. Not my content so I can’t offer much more of an explanation. This owner reported the dealer replaced these gears as well.

Ford Bronco Manual transmission scraping noise / grinding sound 84D9FBFB-38EF-4C11-AB71-E65F192AEF0B
I had my entire transmission replaced and it went away for awhile too

Going back on the 9th for the TSB

RobBob22

Base
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F250 SuperDuty
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I had my entire transmission replaced and it went away for awhile too

Going back on the 9th for the TSB
I like others agree with the theory that either low oil or incorrect oil is the culprit. Starts as a minor then progress to a full time sound with some evidence of damage.

edit: I’d like to think they would have checked the oil level on a new trans but I’m also a firm subscriber in if u want it done right u need to do it yourself, unfortunately we can’t to our own warranty work.
Sponsored

Last edited: