Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They came back and said the 4th & 5th synchro's are bad.
Can you confirm they said "4th & 5th"? The known problem is 5th and 6th, if 4th is bad that would be the 3rd & 4th synchro, which I haven't heard of yet.

Edit - UTultimate beat me to it. But there is no 4th & 5th, so the tech had to have misspoke using old 5spd lingo.
Sponsored

J3D

Base
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Can you confirm they said "4th & 5th"? The known problem is 5th and 6th, if 4th is bad that would be the 3rd & 4th synchro, which I haven't heard of yet.
I will confirm. Will reach out the Dealer & see if I can get a copy of the service writeup. Will share it here.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I will confirm. Will reach out the Dealer & see if I can get a copy of the service writeup. Will share it here.
You caught me in an edit. I'm guessing the tech misspoke.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yea, I did mention that to the service writer. All I got was "that's what the tech said."
I will reach out to the dealer to see how they came up with this diagnosis. If anyone has a copy of the TSB, can you post or repost here please. Would like to put eyeballs on it so I can sound somewhat literate when talking to the techs.
TSB in .pdf form:

Attachments

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here is an update on mine. Had the transmission replaced at 3700km and drove it for another 1000km it cake back. I thought they were going to do the TSB but ford engineers came to look and are replacing it again....they said it's another couple weeks. I asked if the new one has updated parts of what was wrong and she said yes...for whatever that is worth. This is brutal.
Are any dealers on here that can confirm a part number change? If it was indeed updated, would definitely have a new number. Most likely the suffix at the end.

Sponsored

huey

Badlands
First Name
kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI VW EOS GMC Envoy Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Called the dealer today to get an appointment set as there is cooler weather coming in next week. The conversation was very disappointing, which is too bad because the sales side was a good experience.

Dealer gave the "we are booked till March" and "it is under warranty so just drive it & don't worry' comments. I told him i just wanted the issue noted and he really just blew me off.

End of the day he has not heard of this issue and to tell a customer don't worry keep driving without understanding the issue makes me unhappy. Even if the issue currently does not effect drivability he does not know that.......bit of a rant but I really did expect better.

SO I guess my truck won't get in for a couple months, but I will continue to watch this thread.

Last edited:

Blown331

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
79 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Edit. The transmission does not have a pump so there goes this theory. I still feel like lack of lubrication to that area due to thicker oil in low temps could be a problem.

I've had my 7-speed for about 6 weeks. It only has 309 miles and no noise yet. I was thinking about what might actually be causing this. Does anyone know if this transmission has a fluid pump? ZF Transmissions do. Since this noise seems to be extremely dependent upon temperature I'm thinking the thickness of oil is a factor. What if when it's cold and the oil gets thick, the oil pump can't sufficiently lubricate that synchronizer until warm. Once the damage is done, it's going to need repair. I'm keeping my Bronco out of the road salt for now so the extremely cold starts are going to be limited. I'm thinking I can make it until summer without inducing the noise. I'm hoping by next winter they have an actual fix, maybe a larger pump or maybe the pressurized fluid is leaking out along its path. Perhaps how the vehicle is treated when started cold plays a factor as well. If you start it up and just start driving and that synchronizer is unlubricated and you're putting driving loads on it that could do some damage. If it sits and idles with no load until somewhat warm that could help. Just brainstorming. Could be completely off base and maybe it doesn't even have a pump. Lol

Last edited:

Blown331

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
79 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Another thing I noticed is the part number for the 5th and 6th Gear synchronizer rings in the TSB is MU7Z-7107-C. The C indicates third revision. Same part number but with the suffix A and B do exist as well. All three parts are different msrp. So it appears the parts may be updated. I'm looking at the tsb in Oasis right now. If anyone has an older copy of the TSB, you could check if one of the earlier suffixes was present previously.

MistaGavin

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 F-150 & '68 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Another thing I noticed is the part number for the 5th and 6th Gear synchronizer rings in the TSB is MU7Z-7107-C. The C indicates third revision. Same part number but with the suffix A and B do exist as well. All three parts are different msrp. So it appears the parts may be updated. I'm looking at the tsb in Oasis right now. If anyone has an older copy of the TSB, you could check if one of the earlier suffixes was present previously.
No.
7107-A is 1st/2nd
7107-B is 3rd/4th and crawler/reverse
7107-C is 5th/6th gear

I3lackRose

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Sponsored

Blown331

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
79 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No.
7107-A is 1st/2nd
7107-B is 3rd/4th and crawler/reverse
7107-C is 5th/6th gear
Well dang it. I thought I was on to something.

Stlrfan152

Base
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75C5 16Prius 2dr base sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Edit. The transmission does not have a pump so there goes this theory. I still feel like lack of lubrication to that area due to thicker oil in low temps could be a problem.

I've had my 7-speed for about 6 weeks. It only has 309 miles and no noise yet. I was thinking about what might actually be causing this. Does anyone know if this transmission has a fluid pump? ZF Transmissions do. Since this noise seems to be extremely dependent upon temperature I'm thinking the thickness of oil is a factor. What if when it's cold and the oil gets thick, the oil pump can't sufficiently lubricate that synchronizer until warm. Once the damage is done, it's going to need repair. I'm keeping my Bronco out of the road salt for now so the extremely cold starts are going to be limited. I'm thinking I can make it until summer without inducing the noise. I'm hoping by next winter they have an actual fix, maybe a larger pump or maybe the pressurized fluid is leaking out along its path. Perhaps how the vehicle is treated when started cold plays a factor as well. If you start it up and just start driving and that synchronizer is unlubricated and you're putting driving loads on it that could do some damage. If it sits and idles with no load until somewhat warm that could help. Just brainstorming. Could be completely off base and maybe it doesn't even have a pump. Lol
The noise got worse in the cold, but it started in the summer for me.

bonewizzo

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bigbend 2dr MT
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Hey all. Just purchased a 23 Big Bend 2Dr/MT On 6 Jan. The transmission noise started with me after about 200 miles and has been progressively getting worse. It’s identical to the video. Just got it back from dealer with a ”normal noise” explanation.
My Pre collision assist doesn’t work either….
Beyond furious….
So Ford corporate ended up reaching out to me this week. But bottom line, they can’t do anything until an actual dealer finds and confirms there’s a problem.

So I am waiting on an appointment to go to another local Ford dealer and let them look at it. Estimated wait time is 14 days. Still getting the noise even while driving now.

After reading other posts on the same problem, I’m almost wondering if it’s better to wait on the repair. It seems like Fords current repair solution isn’t actually fixing the problem and it ends up happening again!

I also now have a new problem in that the alarm is going off, and I’m getting notification via FordPass app that someone is trying to open my hood. Except they are not! I’ve never had so many glitches before with a new vehicle purchase.

Ford Bronco Manual transmission scraping noise / grinding sound 1674933589314

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Called the dealer today to get an appointment set as there is cooler weather coming in next week. The conversation was very disappointing, which is too bad because the sales side was a good experience.

Dealer gave the "we are booked till March" and "it is under warranty so just drive it & don't worry' comments. I told him i just wanted the issue noted and he really just blew me off.

End of the day he has not heard of this issue and to tell a customer don't worry keep driving without understanding the issue makes me unhappy. Even if the issue currently does not effect drivability he does not know that.......bit of a rant but I really did expect better.

SO I guess my truck won't get in for a couple months, but I will continue to watch this thread.
Mine couldn't even find the TSB. Maybe it's only from FMC and not FOC. Are there any Canadians on here who've had this looked at by their dealer?

Mortonm

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Mine couldn't even find the TSB. Maybe it's only from FMC and not FOC. Are there any Canadians on here who've had this looked at by their dealer?
Yes. I even mentioned the TSB and they said a Ford engineer looked at it and they are replacing my transmission for a second time... this one lasted 1000km. My first 3700...
Sponsored