Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Would you consider not accepting the vehicle? If I bring a new vehicle home, and my wife starts asking what's up with the transmission noise, and I tell her "Oh, it's a known issue and there isn't really a fix and I still bought it" ... maybe I'm headed for divorce court, lol. Seriously though, she'll read me the riot act for accepting the vehicle, and she'd have a point.
I 100% still would have bought it.

It’s a brand new vehicle that is only a few months into its 2nd full year of production. I expected issues like this. Admittedly I expected it to be the sway-bar system or lockers, and not the transmission… but it’s a given to have issues in a brand new vehicle. Those who are risk adverse probably should have waited before buying.

That said, for me the Bronco isn’t a daily driver. I don’t need it to get to my job, I don’t need it for my day-to-day life. I have another vehicle for that, so if the Bronco has to sit at the dealership for a few weeks waiting for parts it isn’t a deal-breaker for me.

I could see how situations like this could cause a lot of stress if the Bronco was the only vehicle in the household, or you were really stretching your budget to buy one. For me it’s all about risk management… I personally would NOT have bought a Bronco (or any newly released vehicle) if I needed it in my daily life. Instead I would have bought something with a longer track record—and perhaps more importantly—a wealth of parts already available in the market should something break.
Sponsored

dingle87

Black Diamond
First Name
Reese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It’s a brand new vehicle that is only a few months into its 2nd full year of production. I expected issues like this. Admittedly I expected it to be the sway-bar system or lockers, and not the transmission… but it’s a given to have issues in a brand new vehicle. Those who are risk adverse probably should have waited before buying.

That said, for me the Bronco isn’t a daily driver. I don’t need it to get to my job, I don’t need it for my day-to-day life. I have another vehicle for that, so if the Bronco has to sit at the dealership for a few weeks waiting for parts it isn’t a deal-breaker for me.

I could see how situations like this could cause a lot of stress if the Bronco was the only vehicle in the household, or you were really stretching your budget to buy one. For me it’s all about risk management… I personally would NOT have bought a Bronco (or any newly released vehicle) if I needed it in my daily life. Instead I would have bought something with a longer track record—and perhaps more importantly—a wealth of parts already available in the market should something break.
This is the situation I'm in too. I have a work vehicle provided for me, so the Bronco won't be a daily driver for me either.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base

Financial stress is not an issue, plus my order is only 30k. I already own two open top 4x4s: a Jeep TJ and old Series Land Rover. So I know what to expect from the genre, and also expect growing pains with a newly introduced vehicle line.

Most of what folks complain about around here, I don't care much about. Lately it's water in the interior? All my open top vehicles have some water in the interior. My CJ used to shoot water into my lap after a rain if the vent was open, lol. Honestly a wheel could start falling off and to me it wouldn't be a huge deal. :)

A possible Bronco transmission defect is a different story. That's a major component. And to possibly have it from the get-go, with no solid fix? That's an issue hard to dismiss, regardless of other vehicles owned, or amount of use. I don't like the trajectory of this trans issue, the number of folks experiencing the issue, a TSB that apparently uses same parts, the failure of the fix to eliminate the issue. Those are concerning things, I don't like the way it's pointing.

I have low interest in buying a vehicle with a transmission issue, thinking well I won't drive it that much anyway, and if it's in the shop I can drive my TJ instead. For me anyway, that would be a bad start to a purchase. It would be aggravating, and I have a policy to not spend money on aggravation. But we each have to make our own decision of what works for us. Will see how it all plays out ...

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It is my DD, but I do have my pickup as well so I don't completely depend on it. I've only ever owned beaters, and when you rely on beaters you need to have 2 of them to rotate out as they break down. So I guess I have a completely different mindset and am not that worried about the Bronco being down.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm still completely confused as to WHAT the "tsb" is trying to fix. Replacing blocking rings (updated or not) for a noise issue is like replacing spark plugs in a noisy engine. If it was a shift feel issue, then yes I could see that, but everybody (myself included) seems to say that shifting is unaffected by the noise...in fact I am 100% happy w/shift feel both when the noise is present, and when it isn't. It seems like Ford really has no clue what the root cause of the noise is, and issued this tsb in the hope that a few techs in the field would take these trannys apart and find the real issue, but seems it hasn't worked out that way so far. Can any of you guys w/trans experience explain it in a different way I can understand?

Side note: I did do alot of trans work back in my dealership days, however MTs being as rare as they are, I have less experience w/them

Sponsored

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

MT82 all over again. :censored: Take a minute and enlighten yourself on the subject.

I guess the TSB will need updated to add MY'23 since they are not listed on it. There are a bunch headed down the assembly line real soon. Those transmissions are most likely already on hand or in transit. Dates are holding so they must figure there is no issue.

huey

Badlands
First Name
kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI VW EOS GMC Envoy Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

MT82 all over again. :censored: Take a minute and enlighten yourself on the subject.

I guess the TSB will need updated to add MY'23 since they are not listed on it. There are a bunch headed down the assembly line real soon. Those transmissions are most likely already on hand or in transit. Dates are holding so they must figure there is no issue.
Yeah my 23 has it, think there are now quite a few 23's on the list

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Between this and the cracking tops, come on. Sounds like they cut too many corners.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm still completely confused as to WHAT the "tsb" is trying to fix. Replacing blocking rings (updated or not) for a noise issue is like replacing spark plugs in a noisy engine. If it was a shift feel issue, then yes I could see that, but everybody (myself included) seems to say that shifting is unaffected by the noise...in fact I am 100% happy w/shift feel both when the noise is present, and when it isn't. It seems like Ford really has no clue what the root cause of the noise is, and issued this tsb in the hope that a few techs in the field would take these trannys apart and find the real issue, but seems it hasn't worked out that way so far. Can any of you guys w/trans experience explain it in a different way I can understand?

Side note: I did do alot of trans work back in my dealership days, however MTs being as rare as they are, I have less experience w/them
I'd say you have a solid understanding of the futility here. I'm hardly an expert but I've rebuilt a couple manuals in my garage, they are dead simple devices. Those pics of the heat marks indicate a lubrication issue or something is out of tolerance.

I3lackRose

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Financial stress is not an issue, plus my order is only 30k. I already own two open top 4x4s: a Jeep TJ and old Series Land Rover. So I know what to expect from the genre, and also expect growing pains with a newly introduced vehicle line.

Most of what folks complain about around here, I don't care much about. Lately it's water in the interior? All my open top vehicles have some water in the interior. My CJ used to shoot water into my lap after a rain if the vent was open, lol. Honestly a wheel could start falling off and to me it wouldn't be a huge deal. :)

A possible Bronco transmission defect is a different story. That's a major component. And to possibly have it from the get-go, with no solid fix? That's an issue hard to dismiss, regardless of other vehicles owned, or amount of use. I don't like the trajectory of this trans issue, the number of folks experiencing the issue, a TSB that apparently uses same parts, the failure of the fix to eliminate the issue. Those are concerning things, I don't like the way it's pointing.

I have low interest in buying a vehicle with a transmission issue, thinking well I won't drive it that much anyway, and if it's in the shop I can drive my TJ instead. For me anyway, that would be a bad start to a purchase. It would be aggravating, and I have a policy to not spend money on aggravation. But we each have to make our own decision of what works for us. Will see how it all plays out ...
Spot on. 90% are probably daily drivers tho and dropping 40k and up to get one...... A transmission issue should not be the first major repair nor in weeks or months of owning and it's not just a handful it's a shit ton.

Sponsored

I3lackRose

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Yeah, I'm not canceling now and eating $500 non-refundable deposit I paid a week ago. I'll ride it out and see where we're at when delivery happens.
Your $500 should be refundable. The only thing I think that was non-refundable was the $100 reservation if you backed out otherwise it was refunded to original payment method if you buy one. If the dealer is telling you the $500 is non-refundable they are trying to screw you and take your $500 and then still sell your build over MSRP

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'd say you have a solid understanding of the futility here. I'm hardly an expert but I've rebuilt a couple manuals in my garage, they are dead simple devices. Those pics of the heat marks indicate a lubrication issue or something is out of tolerance.
This one, like everything Getrag does lately, is NOT simple. I've read through the shop manual several times, and, it's a real cluster. Basically the countershaft is like a separate mainshaft, and everything is backwards, ie 5/6 are in the frt of the case, crawl is in the rear, but 1/2 is on the countershaft. The whole drivelines gotta be assembled w/zipties then dropped into the case. No fun at all!

dingle87

Black Diamond
First Name
Reese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Your $500 should be refundable. The only thing I think that was non-refundable was the $100 reservation if you backed out otherwise it was refunded to original payment method if you buy one. If the dealer is telling you the $500 is non-refundable they are trying to screw you and take your $500 and then still sell your build over MSRP
I have a VIN and my dealer wanted $400 non-refundable deposit. I paid it last week. I just assumed the $100 rezo was included to make the nice round $500. Either way I have a VIN, so that's why my dealer requested and stated it was non-refundable.

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The MT82 is what scared me off the MT88. You could tell by how celebrated the Mach 1 was for getting a Tremec over the outgoing Bullitt's getrag transmission how maligned they have been for years.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Oh yeah I agree it's a bad start to a purchase, no argument there.

Although to date we haven't heard of anyone who has had their transmission fail due to this issue. We don't even know if the noise causes damage to the transmission. Based on the noise, you absolutely think it would. But the TSB doesn't say either way, and the pictures that @CliffordTheBigRedBronco posted showed no visible damage to the synchro rings. We've seen someone else post photos of gears from a Facebook group that definitely got real warm, but those gears they posted don't even interface with the synchro rings, so who knows if they even have the same issue that we all have.

Anyway, perhaps I'm minimizing the whole thing too much for most people. In my mind... we have an issue on a brand new vehicle, it seems a fair number of us have the issue, which is a bummer, no doubt about that. BUT, most of us are still driving our vehicles, and Ford has already acknowledged it is an issue. They have a TSB on it already, and the vast majority of us are all within our warranty period. Seems like if we were to have an issue... this would be the best-case scenario. The only thing we're missing is a real solution, but I suspect that will come with time—the TSB itself was only created about a month and a half ago. I'm sure as more of us continue to report the issue to our dealers, and Ford continues to get more feedback from techs in the field they will analyze and adjust as necessary.
Sponsored