Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Oh yeah I agree it's a bad start to a purchase, no argument there.

Although to date we haven't heard of anyone who has had their transmission fail due to this issue. We don't even know if the noise causes damage to the transmission. Based on the noise, you absolutely think it would. But the TSB doesn't say either way, and the pictures that @CliffordTheBigRedBronco posted showed no visible damage to the synchro rings. We've seen someone else post photos of gears from a Facebook group that definitely got real warm, but those gears they posted don't even interface with the synchro rings, so who knows if they even have the same issue that we all have.
I'd like to remain positive but this appears to be a transmission failure resulting in needing to be towed.

Imagine my disappointment just five months and under 4,000 km into my Bronco journey when one morning on my way to work it suddenly started making a really loud noise and just conked out! Of course, the vehicle is under warranty so it was towed back to the dealer for repair. That was Friday, November 18, 2022. After a week at the dealer for “diagnostics,” I was told it was a part in the transmission that had to be replaced. Apparently, this fix didn’t resolve the issue, and I was then informed the entire transmission had to be replaced.
Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
It is my DD, but I do have my pickup as well so I don't completely depend on it. I've only ever owned beaters, and when you rely on beaters you need to have 2 of them to rotate out as they break down. So I guess I have a completely different mindset and am not that worried about the Bronco being down.
I hear ya, I'm also a long time owner of older beater vehicles, and having a rotation with those is nice. Checkout my old Land Rover below, currently in pieces (Humpty Dumpty style) in my garage. That's exhibit one for why you want a second rig for rotation!

Ford Bronco Manual transmission scraping noise / grinding sound LandRoverGarage

dingle87

Black Diamond
First Name
Reese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I hear ya, I'm also a long time owner of older beater vehicles, and having a rotation with those is nice. Checkout my old Land Rover below, currently in pieces (Humpty Dumpty style) in my garage. That's exhibit one for why you want a second rig for rotation!

Ford Bronco Manual transmission scraping noise / grinding sound LandRoverGarage
Good looking bike rack!

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Oh yeah I saw that post, but his issue is definitely different than the issue most of us have.

Just based on the noise... @krksteve seems to have the same issue @EndersRide has. And @EndersRide said the issue was a timing chain tensioner, which is an engine issue and not a transmission issue. I don't think they've gotten back to @krksteve yet on what the issue was, but hopefully when it gets fixed he'll report back.

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Oh yeah I saw that post, but his issue is definitely different than the issue most of us have.

Just based on the noise... @krksteve seems to have the same issue @EndersRide has. And @EndersRide said the issue was a timing chain tensioner, which is an engine issue and not a transmission issue. I don't think they've gotten back to @krksteve yet on what the issue was, but hopefully when it gets fixed he'll report back.
But they did the TSB and then replaced his transmission. The engine noise seems to be a different issue. Then again we really don’t have all the details.

Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

But they did the TSB and then replaced his transmission. The engine noise seems to be a different issue. Then again we really don’t have all the details.
Half of the battle with this whole situation is knowing what issue is related to "our" issue... and which issue is something different that is a red herring and causing us to freak out for no reason.

It's kind of like the 2.7L engine and the dropped valves—which all things considered was WAY worse than our issue. None of us had any idea what the scope of us, and it caused a bunch of 2.7L engine owners to get nervous for no reason.

I3lackRose

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have a VIN and my dealer wanted $400 non-refundable deposit. I paid it last week. I just assumed the $100 rezo was included to make the nice round $500. Either way I have a VIN, so that's why my dealer requested and stated it was non-refundable.
There's a pretty good chance that they already collected somebody's $500 deposit then and returned it and are trying to lock you in if you already got a VIN number from the dealer directly then that's not your build that was somebody else's your. VIN number should come from Ford in an email. In my situation and most other situations I've read it was initially a $100 reservation optional but when you actually go to place your orders at the dealer it was a $500 refundable if you decide you don't want the vehicle after the build. Most of the situations the dealers would just take those vehicles and resell them and refund original orderee . It's a win for the dealer because the dealer can sell it over MSRP at that point and they weren't allowed to place their own allocations so they took people's orders if they didn't want them. Something doesn't sound right about your situation just my two cents

Last edited:

joshslighter

Base
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru WRX, 1992 Honda Nighthawk CB750
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Picked up my Bronco last night after having the TSB done. So far so good but it has only been a day, if the noise comes back you guys will be the first to know. Luckily in my case there was no damage to any other gears or components in the trans so I didn't have to wait on any backordered parts.

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Picked up my Bronco last night after having the TSB done. So far so good but it has only been a day, if the noise comes back you guys will be the first to know. Luckily in my case there was no damage to any other gears or components in the trans so I didn't have to wait on any backordered parts.
Just curious, did your old parts have the same heat marks and smeared metal as the ones posted on here?

dingle87

Black Diamond
First Name
Reese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

There's a pretty good chance that they already collected somebody's $500 deposit then and returned it and are trying to lock you in if you already got a VIN number from the dealer directly then that's not your build that was somebody else's your. VIN number should come from Ford in an email. In my situation and most other situations I've read it was initially a $100 reservation optional but when you actually go to place your orders at the dealer it was a $500 refundable if you decide you don't want the vehicle after the build. Most of the situations the dealers would just take those vehicles and resell them and refund original orderee . It's a win for the dealer because the dealer can sell it over MSRP at that point and they weren't allowed to place their own allocations so they took people's orders if they didn't want them. Something doesn't sound right about your situation just my two cents
It’s from Ford email. It’s tied to my Oct 2020 reservation. I’m at Granger. After your VIN is assigned they request a deposit for the order being built. It isn’t out of line for a dealer to request a deposit. Good faith that you’re serious about buying.

Sponsored

joshslighter

Base
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru WRX, 1992 Honda Nighthawk CB750
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Just curious, did your old parts have the same heat marks and smeared metal as the ones posted on here?
My service advisor said everything inside looked good and didn't need to order anything else. I have a really good relationship with my dealer since I used to work there so I trust them on not lying to me. They did however break some bolts somewhere and have to order those which caused a few day delay.

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My service advisor said everything inside looked good and didn't need to order anything else. I have a really good relationship with my dealer since I used to work there so I trust them on not lying to me. They did however break some bolts somewhere and have to order those which caused a few day delay.
That's good to hear. But have to wonder what the issue is if they just replaced good parts with new good parts that are not updated?

CliffordTheBigRedBronco

Base
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I escalated this concern to Ford Engineering with my personal Bronco and spoke with an Engineer a few minutes ago. For the sake of keeping my job, I cannot say exactly what was said. HOWEVER. They are aware of this situation and we must keep an eye on published OASIS messages in the coming months for any new/updated instructions.... Until then, keep on your dealers about the TSB, and the fact that the TSB/replacements are not fixing the issue. Make the issue known to your dealers don't sit back and wait, this helps keep the pressure on.....BUT HANG IN THERE!!

Last edited:

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I escalated this concern to Ford Engineering with my personal Bronco and spoke with an Engineer a few minutes ago. For the sake of keeping my job, I cannot say exactly what was said. HOWEVER. Be assured they are aware of this "situation" and we must keep an eye on published OASIS messages in the coming months.... Until then, keep on your dealers about the TSB, and the fact that the TSB/replacements are not fixing the issue. Make the issue known to your dealers don't sit back and wait, this helps keep the pressure on.....BUT HANG IN THERE!!
What are published OASIS messages?

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What are published OASIS messages?
OASIS = Online Automotive Service Information System

It's a system dealers have access to. You type in a VIN number and you get all of the information about a specific vehicle. The build configuration, warranty status, warranty claim history, any TSB information, open recalls, etc.
Sponsored