Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

After reading the rest of this thread from where my last post was, I will mention that the sound has gotten a little louder, and I also hear it in every gear; warm or cold, doesn't matter. So basically, its a never-ending noise. However, as stated in my post above, I will keep driving it until we have a true fix for the issue. I'm not dropping it off at the dealer to have it sit for weeks/months, etc...
You won't sit. They are sending everyone home with them just getting the service scheduled and parts ordered is what's important. The parts are 3 months backordered then add in qualified labor shortage.... Basically you could very easily be pushed beyond that lemon window if you wait too long to take it in
Sponsored

UTultimate

Badlands
First Name
UltimateBronco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
After reading the rest of this thread from where my last post was, I will mention that the sound has gotten a little louder, and I also hear it in every gear; warm or cold, doesn't matter. So basically, its a never-ending noise. However, as stated in my post above, I will keep driving it until we have a true fix for the issue. I'm not dropping it off at the dealer to have it sit for weeks/months, etc...
Do you really hear it in every gear? Mine is loud and always there regardless of the temp, but really I can't hear it beyond 2nd gear due to road and wind noise.

WeirdGuy

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Get it to the dealer and get the TSB done. Whether it's ineffective or not FORD needs us to prove that by bringing examples or TSBs continuing to be scheduled. Can't fix it if it's not brought in. Also for lemon first major repair must be done within 1year of purchase to be eligible. Half you want to wait but that's just hurting you all. If only half are coming Ford thinks the issue is half as bad as it truely is..... Get service scheduled.

My Bronco goes into the dealer tomorrow to have the correct bash plates installed and have the hood latch issue checked out. I will mention the TSB on the transmission and see what they say.

WeirdGuy

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Do you really hear it in every gear? Mine is loud and always there regardless of the temp, but really I can't hear it beyond 2nd gear due to road and wind noise.

Yep. At first it was at idle, 1st and 2nd. Then I started noticing it was in 3rd, 4th and 5th (especially at lower speeds in each gear). Assuming its in 6th as well, just rarely in 6th.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Any sane person would immediately walk away from a transmission noise like these. As far as I'm concerned it's not sellable in it's current condition. Even a dealer would use the noise against you on resale.
It's an unfortunate situation and a bummer. :( For my part, I'm not inclined to buy problems and aggravations. Hoping for a legit resolution of the issue, before having to make a decision this May/June on accepting the vehicle.

Sponsored

JerryC

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Any sane person would immediately walk away from a transmission noise like these. As far as I'm concerned it's not sellable in it's current condition. Even a dealer would use the noise against you on resale.
A dealer would low-ball you on the trade, get Ford to pay to replace the transmission or do the TSB and sell it for top dollar as if it never had a problem. Taking broken vehicles in trade is nothing new for a dealer.

If a buyer caught the repair the dealer would probably offer a "deal" on an extended warranty and make even more money.

gtabert

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 gt350r / '65 f100 / '99 Silverado / '15 VW TDI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My MY '23 Manual Badlands w Sasquatch just arrived at the dealer. I will pick it up Saturday. I mentioned the TSB to the sales consultant, will talk to the service staff when I pick it up. It's a small dealership, first MT Bronco they have sold, I'm sure the service staff is unaware of the issue. In any case, from my experience with having rebuilt manuals in the past, older top loaders, IMHO, this is not a synco issue. All they do is bring the two meshing gears to the same speed so the gear teeth will slide together seamlessly. Once the gears are meshed they are locked together due to the torque load, ever try to pull the gearshift out of gear when under load, you can't, you have to unload the the power by pushing in the clutch. Since everyone seems to be indicating the noise is when under power, not gear engagement, like that when you miss a shift, the typical grinding due to the teeth not matched to equal speed, it sounds like an end play issue or thrust bearing, the clearances are not to spec, or the designed in play is not figured properly.

In the end, they will figure this out, too many of you are panicking, one crys out, others jump on board, the cry gets louder and all of the sudden the sky is falling. Sure, this needs to be brought forward so Ford knows you have a voice, but fear breeds panic, that results in extreme anxiety.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
My MY '23 Manual Badlands w Sasquatch just arrived at the dealer. I will pick it up Saturday. I mentioned the TSB to the sales consultant, will talk to the service staff when I pick it up. It's a small dealership, first MT Bronco they have sold, I'm sure the service staff is unaware of the issue. In any case, from my experience with having rebuilt manuals in the past, older top loaders, IMHO, this is not a synco issue. All they do is bring the two meshing gears to the same speed so the gear teeth will slide together seamlessly. Once the gears are meshed they are locked together due to the torque load, ever try to pull the gearshift out of gear when under load, you can't, you have to unload the the power by pushing in the clutch. Since everyone seems to be indicating the noise is when under power, not gear engagement, like that when you miss a shift, the typical grinding due to the teeth not matched to equal speed, it sounds like an end play issue or thrust bearing, the clearances are not to spec, or the designed in play is not figured properly.

In the end, they will figure this out, too many of you are panicking, one crys out, others jump on board, the cry gets louder and all of the sudden the sky is falling. Sure, this needs to be brought forward so Ford knows you have a voice, but fear breeds panic, that results in extreme anxiety.
Good info, as someone who knows about transmissions, would be great to hear your thoughts after delivery, if you are hearing/experiencing an issue or have some other ideas.

WeirdGuy

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base

Agreed. Also, my dealer is quite large but, from my understanding my Bronco is only the second manual they have sold. I assume the other owner of the first manual (whom I've met, and driven his) has had no issues, as my service tech said they hadnt heard of the issue.

I3lackRose

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Most of us waited 2-3 years paid $40k, 50+ to get these and we need to get the transmission ripped out several times with some of us under 100 miles total? Yea, I say plenty to cry about there.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm mostly on board with your thoughts but I do believe there is some kind of issue with the synchro too, I suspect the tolerances are too loose and it's just rattling around on the shaft. A big clue for me is the sound going away when you put side pressure on the 5/6 synchro while in neutral.

I don't claim to be an expert but years ago I worked in my uncle's transmission shop for a couple years as a teen and I've recently replaced the shift forks on a F150 M5OD, converted an Eaton FS5306 6spd to overdrive using FSO6406 parts, and put Scout T18 wide ratio gears into a Ford T19.

gtabert

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 gt350r / '65 f100 / '99 Silverado / '15 VW TDI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Indio 22 / WeirdGuy / I3lackRose /Trick Dick

All good thoughts, I paid 60k for mine, waited 2 years, do I want to deal with a trans problem, certainly not. I can understand being concerned, one thing I will not do is panic or worry, following the leader is not my style, worrying does not change anything. Once I drive the Bronco for a reasonable amount of time I'll post my comments and thoughts further. Years back I owned E36 and E46 M3's, one thing that quieted down the MT and improved shifting was changing the trans fluid to a Redline Oil product, Redline makes some of the best fluids out there, they are a small company that makes proven products. Warranty or not, if mine has the noise, I have no problem swapping out to one of their products to see what happens - https://www.redlineoil.com/gear-oil-for-manual-transmissions - after all if its a problem how much worse can a fluid make it, until its tried one will not know if its that simple.

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
—
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

All good thoughts, I paid 60k for mine, waited 2 years, do I want to deal with a trans problem, certainly not. I can understand being concerned, one thing I will not do is panic or worry, following the leader is not my style, worrying does not change anything. Once I drive the Bronco for a reasonable amount of time I'll post my comments and thoughts further. Years back I owned E36 and E46 M3's, one thing that quieted down the MT and improved shifting was changing the trans fluid to a Redline Oil product, Redline makes some of the best fluids out there, they are a small company that makes proven products. Warranty or not, if mine has the noise, I have no problem swapping out to one of their products to see what happens - https://www.redlineoil.com/gear-oil-for-manual-transmissions - after all if its a problem how much worse can a fluid make it, until its tried one will not know if its that simple.
Others have tried different DCTF fluids, different fill levels, etc. The noise persists. It’s not a noise like other clunky gearboxes that have slight whirs and sounds. It’s an unmistakable metal grinding away at other metal sound.

I don’t see the point of folks brigading the thread trying to say this isn’t a serious issue. This affects a higher percentage of target vehicles than any other mechanical issue I’ve seen reported on the forums so far, and it seems like Ford’s initial attempt at a fix is a dud. The more noise (pun intended) we make here the better.

Off road enthusiast

Badlands
First Name
Agi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Same situation here: waited for over two years to get my Badlands. Paid 57k for it. On the second transmission, same noise, I also have an oil leak from the timing cover . My dealer said that Ford would not replace the transmission again but recommended the TSB, no parts available yet, and TSB is not resolving the issue.
THIS IS MY FIRST AND LAST FORD!

WeirdGuy

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
The issues with my Bronco are quickly stacking up. I'm at SIX issues now, and I've only owned it a month.
Sponsored