SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Driving in the 2nd gear, I pressed on the clutch, noise doesn’t stop. If neutral pressing on the clutch stops the noise. Any thoughts??
How to think about a manual transmission in concept:
  • Clutch disk connects the crankshaft (engine) to input shaft (transmission)
  • All gears except neutral connect the output shaft (transmission) to drive shaft (by extension, wheels)
This noise seems to occur whenever the input shaft is under load, which will happen in neutral whenever the clutch is engaged (pedal not pressed) or whenever the vehicle is rolling in gear.
Sponsored

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Went through plenty of this with the Evo VIII through IX. But I haven't seen much action by owners here to experiment with transmission fluids designed to work better with brass synchros or much beyond demanding recalls or a TSB. The Evo community solved the problem through trial and error, experimentation and coming up with the magic juice. The Bronco community does nothing but type.

So far there's no documented failures on Bronci so I mean, the compassion needed is for...... Typing?

That somebody feels differently through experience and a body of knowledge is summarily discounted because more people are currently typing that there's a noise.

To be fair, in the 10AT if you're on the freeway (and by default in 9th or 10th gear) and bury the throttle that transmission will have a violent impact you feel in your spine, accompanied by the sound of gravel and human poo shooting everywhere as it engages 4th gear to pass.

Using that same logic, where's your compassion for me having a '19 Ranger with the crappy 10AT?????

I typed about it (regularly over the last 3 years) so it's B6g official. I need that sympathies you're all dispensing and requesting!
You have my sympathies! Also jealous your mt doesn't make any noise! Have fun w/it!

smiths65

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 RAM1500 BigHorn
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Heard back from dealer, since I'm TSB post...used older C since updated D synchros versions weren't revised yet.
Ford advised a full transmission replacement. I asked the dealer to have Ford confirm new tranny will be fully updated. Still driving it as I wait, but since I have full 5yr extended (on Ford's dime)...will hit pause until resolution is resolved. Grinding/noise level very minimal at this time, unlike prior to TSB.

Brok3nBronco

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jade Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Made an account to post mine has been making the noise for many months. Ive been following the thread for about 2 months. I had to leave it at the dealer last week because I started having additional issues. Gear grinding and stuck in nuetrul a couple times. They put me in a loaner and said there is a TSB but the parts are not available with no timeframe of when they might be?

Any hope this gets fixed soon?

Frankie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Accord
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Can someone smarter than me explain how the transmission making a grinding noise like rocks being crushed and yet still work perfectly fine? Half the comments in this thread is Ford telling people it's an acceptable noise. My uneducated intuition tells me something is falling apart in the transmission and it's a matter of time before it fails
I don’t think there’s actually rocks in it.

Sponsored

Loughmasta

Black Diamond
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My dealer had my 23 Bronco for two days and the engineers asked them to compare it to a normal sounding MT Bronco. Not sure how they would even be able to do this if the others are likely to have this issue... But they are waiting for Ford to get back to them with what to do next.
Overheard the transmission techs talking about how he thinks the noise is normal, which is concerning.

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My dealer had my 23 Bronco for two days and the engineers asked them to compare it to a normal sounding MT Bronco. Not sure how they would even be able to do this if the others are likely to have this issue... But they are waiting for Ford to get back to them with what to do next.
Overheard the transmission techs talking about how he thinks the noise is normal, which is concerning.
Did you bring them the TSB or reference it at all? It's not up to them to deem something "normal" when Ford declares it an issue and prescribes work hours to fix it.

Loughmasta

Black Diamond
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Did you bring them the TSB or reference it at all? It's not up to them to deem something "normal" when Ford declares it an issue and prescribes work hours to fix it.
Yeah I did, one tech even said he saw a TSB for 22MY. I am sure they deal with lots of Karens complaining about everything. Not sure how it sounds normal, but Ford has them go through lots of training so maybe our concerns of our new vehicles are overactions. 🤷‍♂️

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah I did, one tech even said he saw a TSB for 22MY. I am sure they deal with lots of Karens complaining about everything. Not sure how it sounds normal, but Ford has them go through lots of training so maybe our concerns of our new vehicles are overactions. 🤷‍♂️
Yeah, no. Don’t fall for their “it’s normal” bullshit. I’ve driven a dozen “modern” manuals including getrag boxes and none of them sound like this.

If it were actually normal, Ford themselves wouldn’t say it’s an issue that requires replacing synchros with completely updated redesigned parts. Find a new dealership.

Loughmasta

Black Diamond
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yeah, no. Don’t fall for their “it’s normal” bullshit. I’ve driven a dozen “modern” manuals including getrag boxes and none of them sound like this.

If it were actually normal, Ford themselves wouldn’t say it’s an issue that requires replacing synchros with completely updated redesigned parts. Find a new dealership.
Don't worry, I'm not falling for that BS. I am the first one to report it to this dealer so once others come forward they will just have to accept it.

Sponsored

scondarc

Base
First Name
Stefano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
This is the response Ive gotten from Ford Canada:

Engineering has determined that this is a normal characteristic and not a safety concern. It has been determined that your vehicle it operating within Ford specifications. Your dealership has factory trained technicians, comprehensive service information, and specialized equipment to resolve your concerns. Ford of Canada supports the dealership's assessment.

SVTLightning

Badlands
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Titan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Engineering has determined that this is a normal characteristic and not a safety concern. It has been determined that your vehicle it operating within Ford specifications. Your dealership has factory trained technicians, comprehensive service information, and specialized equipment to resolve your concerns. Ford of Canada supports the dealership's assessment.
Do you have a ‘23?

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base

It's a "feature", as we say in the IT world, about issues we don't want to bother addressing.

My decades old CJ and Land Rover manual transmissions will sound better than a new Bronco? And what does the scraping sound mean in terms of wear and tear, for folks down the road, outside of warranty? This situation is a bummer. :(

bigblueboing

Black Diamond
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yeah it makes me wonder what the %age of MTs affected is at this point. Extrapolating that may not be too hard if we even did anecdotal check

Hiya - do you know where it shows what part should be the -D and not the -C? I’ve attached images of the paperwork the Ford service dept. shared with me.

35234540-A400-4160-A797-9E3D0C0B247D.jpeg

103E642F-CB7E-43EB-AA99-ACD2653E6C4A.jpeg

3903D529-367E-49E6-B109-8BB5AABF4897.jpeg
Reading this carefully makes me think there are 2 separate issues. Mine Maura noise at all temps not just cold or after it’s warmed up. The noise is actually intermittent on mine.
Sponsored