Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Titan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah that is a good write up. My sound definitely doesn’t go away when in gear though.
Sponsored

CapeCodCash

Badlands
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco and 14 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do you think there will be any form of compensation coming back our way from Ford because of this super inconvenience?

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The solution is to mix one part 75w80 (or similar) and one part heavy weight oil like 75w-140 or 85w-140.
So who's going to be the guinea pig? If it works, whoohoo, if it doesn't, don't let Ford see that oil in there.

Sugarwolf

Badlands
First Name
Tracey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

One of the big things that drew my attetion besides the description of the issue was the last comment on there about wrong oil. Maybe ford uses the motor craft so it shifts really nice in all temps or they just assume it's the right one. They didn't build the transmission so they could be wrong right? Been scouring BMW and Mustang forums and there are endless pages on Getrag noise!!

Beautalkz

Black Diamond
First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Do you think there will be any form of compensation coming back our way from Ford because of this super inconvenience?
Subaru cut my little sister a couple thousand for a similar problem with her manual Crosstrek. I think they also sent her some random wireless headphones and a extended warranty lol. Hopefully Ford would do something similar.

Sponsored

JawnyBronco

Heritage
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Last edited:

Sugarwolf

Badlands
First Name
Tracey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Maybe the Motor craft oil isn't enough?? ...been searching everywhere about Getrag noise and sounds like they are noisy to begin with. I found this and am curious if anyone has tried something a little thicker or just better? That oil looks thin, but I'm not a doctor. I just play one on tv. Found a good description to the sound here:

https://www.rtsauto.com/getrag-rattle-and-how-to-alleviate-it/

Just trying to help!
If Ford released a TSB saying it is ok to use alternate fluids, then I would. Otherwise I'm going to stick w/what the book calls for as long as it's still under warranty. I would bet gear lube would quiet it down at least some, but you probably won't be happy w/shift effort, especially when cold. AX15 trans in older Jeeps is a Getrag and they use ATF. The BMWs referenced in that article were famously noisy IIRC. A buddy of mine who was a really good import tech had some special fluid concoction he used in those things...reason I remeber is every time we had a gear noise I couldn't fix they kept telling me "ask [technician x] what he put in those BMWs". Never solved anything for me tho

WeirdGuy

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Maybe the Motor craft oil isn't enough?? ...been searching everywhere about Getrag noise and sounds like they are noisy to begin with. I found this and am curious if anyone has tried something a little thicker or just better? That oil looks thin, but I'm not a doctor. I just play one on tv. Found a good description to the sound here:

https://www.rtsauto.com/getrag-rattle-and-how-to-alleviate-it/

Just trying to help!

Here is my issue with this writeup in the link. They say the sound goes away when the clutch is engaged and in gear. That is NOT true. My trans makes the noise ALL THE TIME, whether in gear or not.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here is my issue with this writeup in the link. They say the sound goes away when the clutch is engaged and in gear. That is NOT true. My trans makes the noise ALL THE TIME, whether in gear or not.
So if you are stopped, in 1st gear and foot all they way down on the clutch yours still makes noise?

Sponsored

Classic28

Badlands
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Titan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yep. The sound never goes away on mine.
But we’re told we should just accept it being noisy.

I know it’s not apples to apples but I had a 6 speed in a Civic Si. Car wasn’t babied at all over its 203k+ miles. When I sold it to a friend it still had the original clutch, to bearing and trans fluid from the factory, quiet as a mouse and shifted great!

So my question is I know from reading that Getrags are known for their noise but what is Honda doing that Getrag can’t seem to figure out? Is it a fwd vs rwd thing?

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yep. The sound never goes away on mine.
Don't see how its possible the tranny is the noise on yours then. Under those conditions all rotating components in the trans are stopped. Like saying an appliance makes noise when it's unplugged

JawnyBronco

Heritage
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs