Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Oof I am shorter than that and my partner is way shorter. This actually might unfortunately cause me to pick the automatic. I have not found a good clutch extender that can be used for the bronco.
I haven't researched close enough but I think with some creative modifications an option out there may work.

I wanted the manual no matter what. I'll do what I need to make it work for me.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Ptremblay1

Big Bend
First Name
Philippe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Golf Alltrack, Mercedes 240D
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Oof I am shorter than that and my partner is way shorter. This actually might unfortunately cause me to pick the automatic. I have not found a good clutch extender that can be used for the bronco.
Hi,

I finally settled for the automatic transmission 2doors big bend which I am enjoying a lot (my wife likes it too!)

I drove by my dealer recently and he had a Manual 4 doors.. I tried it just to make my mind at ease.. I am very happy with my choice to go automatic. I guess from the travel distance of the clutch, somebody 5'1 would bang they knee on the lower dash.

broncofanatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Jeep Wrangler JL
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
That article has been out a while, and is the ONLY report I've heard that short people may have challenges with the clutch. I'll find out soon, my wife is 5'1" and all she's ever drove is a stick.
Did your wife have issues with her height and the clutch?

broncofanatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Jeep Wrangler JL
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Hi,

I finally settled for the automatic transmission 2doors big bend which I am enjoying a lot (my wife likes it too!)

I drove by my dealer recently and he had a Manual 4 doors.. I tried it just to make my mind at ease.. I am very happy with my choice to go automatic. I guess from the travel distance of the clutch, somebody 5'1 would bang they knee on the lower dash.
Thank you for following up! Glad to hear you are enjoying your bronco! It will be a tough call for me but I think im still leaning towards manual given i will primarily drive it (second car) and that it is likely the only manual car i will ever purchase. Will probably have to play around with pedal extenders but I have heard such good things about the manual.

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
My wife who is 5'3" was able to find a seating position that she was able to see and steer and shift without a problem.

Sponsored

zyglyrox

Base
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 BaseSAS / ‘21 Bronco Sport BB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

My GF is 4’10 and has no problems reaching the pedals on ours. She also could push the clutch in fully with the manual we drove. Legs / torso proportionate.
I’m 5’9 and I had no trouble finding a comfy spot for the manual. I have short legs and a longer torso so comfy seats are a must. Pictured is my seat position & my GFs on the automatic @ the bronco showing event back in early 2021
Ford Bronco Manual transmission vs shorter driver 03916D45-2405-49C1-9450-8B8BBCBC76E7
Ford Bronco Manual transmission vs shorter driver EBDD3E07-9D89-4872-82AA-4AA3B4098D91

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My wife who is 5'3" was able to find a seating position that she was able to see and steer and shift without a problem.
Same for my wife at 5’3”.

23_Badlands

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 2d SAS 7sp(AB) Hi Tow Modular Hoop
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm 5'8" and need to move the seat forward (not all the way) to get the clutch to the floor. Right leg is bent up more than I like. I also don't like sitting that close to the steering wheel/air bag.

I've researched clutch pedal extenders but have not pulled the trigger on any yet.
Ditto. I'm almost 5'8" on a good day. I can move the seat forward and operate the clutch just fine. However, just not fond of having my knees close to the lower dash. As for being too close to the steering wheel/airbag, does your BD have a telescoping steering wheel? We simply telescoped the steering wheel forward for more clearance.

To get more lower dash/knee clearance, I fabricated a clutch pedal extender out of 3 slabs of 3/8" aluminum and a flat piece of 1/8" to insert inside the clutch pedal pad. Used the 3/8" slabs so I could easily adjust the amount of extension at a later time if I wanted to. Bolted everything to the clutch pedal like a sandwich using two SS bolts---rock solid. Gives me approx. 1 1/4" of extension. My knees are now a more comfortable distance from the lower dash.

Ford Bronco Manual transmission vs shorter driver Bronco Clutch Pedal Extender

Last edited:

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ditto. I'm almost 5'8" on a good day. I can move the seat forward and operate the clutch just fine. However, just not fond of having my knees close to the lower dash. As for being too close to the steering wheel/airbag, does your BD have a telescoping steering wheel? We simply telescoped the steering wheel forward for more clearance.

To get more lower dash/knee clearance, I fabricated a clutch pedal extender out of 3 slabs of 3/8" aluminum and a flat piece of 1/8" to insert inside the clutch pedal pad. Used the 3/8" slabs so I could easily adjust the amount of extension at a later time if I wanted to. Bolted everything to the clutch pedal like a sandwich using two SS bolts---rock solid. Gives me approx. 1 1/4" of extension. My knees are now a more comfortable distance from the lower dash.

Ford Bronco Manual transmission vs shorter driver Bronco Clutch Pedal Extender
Hey thanks so much for this. Been looking for a solution. Looks like factory. I'll check if I have the telescoping wheel.

Sponsored

Dover157

Black Diamond
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It may take a bit of adjustment on behalf of the driver and will probably bang a knee a few times. It took me a couple weeks to develop the muscle memory of what part of my foot to put on the clutch pedal. When I first got it kept hitting my shin on the bottom of the dash, moved my foot lower on the pedal and no longer and issue.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Maybe wear those real thick soled shoes? I have the opposite problem with super long legs. I often can't get the seat back far enough to comfortably depress the clutch or have awkward knee position on the gas pedal. Or too far away from the steering wheel. Can be very painful. I have had to modify seats and seat brackets on some vehicles. And have to wear very thin soled shoes or flip flops.

It's tough when your body is at one extreme spectrum or the other- tall or short.
Sponsored