Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No peeps on that one in a long time.

The Getrag people let a good bit out in the beginning and its been fairly mum since, other than a few "news" outlets catching up to where the rest of us were a year ago.
This concerns me. Manual transmission must be an option or I’m out. But I really want in!
Sponsored

LRDiscovery2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Rover Discovery 2, Lexus GS450h
Manual transmission must be an option or I’m out
Why? It is decades ago that manual transmissions had any advantage over automatics. Back when automatic transmissions were sluggish and made the car less fuel efficient. Today it is the other way around.
Im from Europe and I grew up with manual transmission cars. Its nothing special at all. It does not have any advantage over an automatic other than being cheaper. Its not fun to drive a manual, its just a little annoyance that Im used to since forever. And luckily we have a better option today in Automatic transmissions that is better in every way. I see no need in Ford offering a manual in the New Bronco.

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Why? It is decades ago that manual transmissions had any advantage over automatics. Back when automatic transmissions were sluggish and made the car less fuel efficient. Today it is the other way around.
Im from Europe and I grew up with manual transmission cars. Its nothing special at all. It does not have any advantage over an automatic other than being cheaper. Its not fun to drive a manual, its just a little annoyance that Im used to since forever. And luckily we have a better option today in Automatic transmissions that is better in every way. I see no need in Ford offering a manual in the New Bronco.
Bad Takes 101

OP
OP

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I agree that modern automatics are much improved and even in sports cars, shift faster and smoother with dual clutch, paddle shifts, etc. It’s just a matter of preference. I like to row gears and have 3 pedals in my “fun”cars. More to do is more driver engagement. I have a hybrid Camry for boring comfy drives and fuel efficiency. Bronco and Subaru are toys and I prefer them in manual transmissions.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I was in Ireland last summer and hired a car with manual transmission. The manual was significantly less costly to hire, compared to the automatic. For anyone travelling a lot in certain countries, consider learning to drive a manual transmission vehicle to save on hiring.

Personally, I enjoyed driving the manual transmission car in Ireland. I like to say: "Fun is highly underrated". :) Especially on the various back-roads, I liked shifting the transmissions as desired, to meet the demands and conditions of what I saw ahead. Maybe an automatic could have exactly matched what I wanted in auto-mode, or maybe not. Some automatics allow for very precise manual-mode control, some do not. My other family members on the trip with the automatic vehicle, were freaking out on the Ireland roads and hit a few things, lol.

What about off-road? I've had both auto and manual. I find the automatic ability to essentially have infinite low speed control can be very nice off-road. It can negate somewhat not having low diff gearing, and also allow for a very smooth and less likely to "break things" control of power.

On the flip side, my automatic Jeep CJ7 was overheating off-road until I installed an aftermarket transmission cooler. My TJ Jeep is currently having some slipping in second gear with automatic. In comparison, all our manual transmission have been rock solid. Driving in the mountains on the way to the off-road trails, I generally preferred the manual. The automatics were not doing what I wanted.

Sponsored

Adk_st

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Toyota 4runner TRD Pro '57 CHEVY 6400
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Ah. The transmission debate. Almost as classic as the suspension debate.

I might as well offer my 2¢...I live in the mountains and don't have to deal with traffic. Daily driving I much prefer manual. I enjoy rowing my own gears. I also prefer it much much much more in crappy winter weather. Manuals have also been more reliable for me. Going slow off-road I would probably prefer the auto to be honest.

With that said, we'll find out soon. I'd be pleasantly surprised if Ford offered a manual. Doesn't make sense to me as a lot of money was put into the new 10 speed and they're sticking that into everything else. While we're at it..there's .01% chance of a V8 being offered as an option.

Last edited:

PNW_Bronco94

Badlands
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Im from Europe and I grew up with manual transmission cars. Its nothing special at all. It does not have any advantage ovautomatic other than being cheaper. Its not fun to drive a manual, its just a little annoyance that Im used to since forever. And luckily we have a better option today in Automatic transmissions that is better in every way. I see no need in Ford offering a manual in the New Bronco.

I might as well offer my 2¢...I live in the mountains and don't have to deal with traffic. Daily driving I much prefer manual. I enjoy rowing my own gears. I also prefer it much much much more in crappy winter weather. Manuals have also been more reliable for me. Going slow off-road I would probably prefer the auto to be honest.
I live in the burbs and commute daily to the city and I prefer a manual. Like you said, it's just more fun and engaging to row your own and people who complain about driving a stick in traffic are too soft IMO. It's second nature and I've never once given a second thought to "oh my poor legs are so tired!"

Well, not in my '18 Focus or any other modern car. My '68 Mustang with a manual performance clutch on the other hand - that thing was brutal in traffic (and everywhere else).

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm with that said, we'll find out soon. I'd be pleasantly surprised if Ford offered a manual. Doesn't make sense to me as a lot of money was put into the new 10 speed and they're sticking that into everything else. While we're at it..there's .01% chance of a V8 being offered as an option
I got my own thing with the gears; a Kamikaze deer ran into my truck, so the shop next door is working on it. Meanwhile, I have a rental 4th gen Ram (Warlock) and it's a friggin' toy in comparison (Stripper w/no moonroof, street tires, LSD[?], etc.), so now I'm wondering if I should trade "Down" to a Taco or Gladiator to reduce payments and get a stick for DD, as I've driven my st2 Audi with it's st1 clutch in all 5 boroughs.

Don't go to the city often enough and I'm going to fix up the front end before I sell the Audi, but why not get my fix with something else?

BroncoJeremie

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

With that said, we'll find out soon. I'd be pleasantly surprised if Ford offered a manual. Doesn't make sense to me as a lot of money was put into the new 10 speed and they're sticking that into everything else. While we're at it..there's .01% chance of a V8 being offered as an option.
No, no no no no no no don't start that crap again. I am sorry but there is no chance of a V8 coming

Sponsored

BroncoBuyer

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC
Your Bronco Model
Base
No, no no no no no no don't start that crap again. I am sorry but there is no chance of a V8 coming
Just bring back the torque monster 300ci 4.9 liter straight six and I’ll be the first to gladly drop the subject of a V8.

Last edited:

manualT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Why? Because many of us are manual admirers. It is the single most important option for me when looking at vehicles. I own many cars: Typically they are all manual as it is pure joy for me to drive a manual and have little interest in any automatic vehicles.

In this segment however, there are only 2 options for me and they both do not work fully for my family needs, a Jeep Wrangler and Toyota Tacoma. I am very much hoping the Bronco has the manual and will be in my garage in due time. Otherwise, I will will probably own a Wrangler in due time, but I am not a crawler, I do enjoy many off-road adventurers, but I am not a Rock Crawler and would like a little more rear cargo space for family use.

As to your other points, it is extremely fun and satisfying, I consider it very special and a level of engagement that allows a driver to fully engage in a vehicle. This is from someone who has driven a manual daily on some of the most traffic ridden areas in the World and also in smaller towns in sports cars and SUV/truck form and either way it is completely worth it to me.

In fairness, in the US, we are much bigger fans than people from Europe at the present time, as a sports car fan, USA is keeping the manual alive and annoying European engineers whilst doing so.

Rollerstud98

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Nissan Titan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I haven’t owned a manual for 12 years or so now, miss it. Also feel that I was a better driver with a manual, more connected with the road. I like direct linkage and being able to feel the torque of the engine through my hand.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

KICKIN' AND STICKIN' or GRIP IT AND RIP IT ……… take your pick :rockon: