Sponsored

Manual vs. 2.7 Auto .. What to do.. Pros & Cons (Why Manual??)

Gpscharron

Badlands
First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FORD Bronco, RV- Ford E450 (Thor Vegas 24.1)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hi BroncoG6 Community,

I know we are all looking forward to the B & P hopefully later this weeK. It the meantime, I wanted to ask the community their thoughts in regards to Manual vs. 2.7 auto. Here is a little background on what I am getting.

1. Badlands / 2 door / High Pac. / Area 51.
2. Based on what I am thinking today, 2.7 / auto

I am am So excited about the Bronco (50th B-Day Gift to myself) and can not even think straight. Countless videos and pictures have me going back and forth.
I have never gone rock climbing with a vehicle. I want to start. I am a mountain biker and hiker. Planning on taking many trips to places like Utah with my RV / Bronco.
(70% Road/ 20% Scenic Trips / 10 % off-road)

I have heard that its easier to get a auto if you are now to climbing and that I should not consider it since I live in the city. However, it is a Bronco at the end of the day and I think it looks so cool!

I will probably get the 2.7 auto but I would like to learn more about why Manual from you guys. Thanks!

Here is my question. Who ideally and why should you get a Manual?
Sponsored

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In your case, you might like the 2.7/Auto combo better. If you want the manual, you really want it.

Don't plan on navigating Miami's limited freeway system during rush hour with the manual unless you really, really love the manual.

The auto with one pedal driving will be easier to learn trails with...total guess that Ford didn't work on that feature because it was more difficult to use.

I'm in Miami and getting the manual. I can choose when and where I drive, though. It's a feeling of connection to the vehicle that the automatic just won't replace or even approximate for me.

porjos

Black Diamond
First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It's a personal choice for me...I like the manual because I enjoy shifting my own gears, but not everyone's into that.

Regardless, don't let some of the yahoos on this forum talk you out of a 2.3 if that's what your into, manual or not. The half dozen or so first-hand reviews on this site all say it's 'peppy' on the Ranger, and even the 2.3(4) of today pushes more power and torque than some Bronco V8s of past. The DI problem is overblown, just take some extra care with maintenance.

With that said, if they paired the 2.7 with the manual, I'd get it because I'm a basic b*tch that likes bigger engines. But I'm in no way dissatisfied I'm stuck with the 2.3 ecoboost.

icavedin

Base
First Name
Ami
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'86 4runner, '91 318iS, '07 4runner
Your Bronco Model
Base
This topic has been talked at nauseam on this board, but my hot take is that you land in 1 of 2 camps:

1. You're a die hard standard guy and understand this may be the last offering of a proper transmission in a 4x4 body on frame capacity in the 21st century
or
2. You could give two shits less about rowing your own gears and want the bigger motor due to carbon buildup fears in the 2.3

Any conversation that boasts having more hp/tq in a 2.7 is moot as the power:weight ratio paired w/ the lighter manual transmission and gearing dissolves any notion to that idea.

If it's any surprise, I'm in the first camp and have more fun wheeling in the backcountry AND driving in the city (sf and seattle) while flirting w/ a third pedal. I really think it boils down to personal preference/ability.

Last edited:

BroncoT

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's a personal choice for me...I like the manual because I enjoy shifting my own gears, but not everyone's into that.

Regardless, don't let some of the yahoos on this forum talk you out of a 2.3 if that's what your into, manual or not. The half dozen or so first-hand reviews on this site all say it's 'peppy' on the Ranger, and even the 2.3(4) of today pushes more power and torque than some Bronco V8s of past. The DI problem is overblown, just take some extra care with maintenance.

With that said, if they paired the 2.7 with the manual, I'd get it because I'm a basic b*tch that likes bigger engines. But I'm in no way dissatisfied I'm stuck with the 2.3 ecoboost.
The torque curve says it all. The 2.3 is all you need. Then again, need doesn’t have much to do with why I’m buying a Bronco.

Sponsored

hemiblas

Wildtrak
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang gt, 3 Wrangler JLs
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'm torn too. I wanted the manual with the 2.3 but everyone keeps saying the 2.7/auto combo is really powerful. Agreed power will be enough on the 2.3/manual combo. I'm still undecided but I'm leaning towards the 2.7. The manual does have the crawler gear which would make it really good for rock climbing.

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
Personal choice.
If you already have a manual and you really like it.
No down side to the v6 auto. It even has trail turn that the 7 speed does not have.

If this was back in the 1990's or before that then the manual had some real advantages. But that was before crawl control, and downhill descent control. The manual could do both of those things just because that is how manuals work and always have.
Now the auto can do that too.

For me the manual is more fun.

elseminoleguapo

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Basesquatch
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

If they offer a factory tune on the 2.3 that doesn't void the warranty, that makes it a tough decision, especially on a lighter 2-door. I'm on the same boat.

I've had manual sport compacts, but never an SUV. These kinds of cars are fun to drive manual I take it?

Internally_Combusted

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy C10
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My Lotus and my miata track car are manual. My '69 C10 is an auto. The Bronco will be a 2.7/auto. Personally, I don't get any joy rowing my own gears in a cruising or utility vehicle. I only really enjoy a good manual in a sports car. But that's just like, my opinion...man. Modern automatics are really good and I like my trucks to be as easy and smooth to drive as possible.

And I'm going with the 2.7 over the 2.3 just because more bigger more better, 'MURICA.

Reactions: Mc5

wolfpackinva

Black Diamond
First Name
Santiago
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Focus, '08 E350, '13 Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm a manual guy and got all kinds of excited when the 6+1 was leaked before the reveal.

But like everyone else said, it's what you want.

Sponsored

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
If I had the money for the 2.7 I'd get that as it sounds like it will last longer than the 2.3 due to carbon buildup on the intake valves. And I like manuals.

Stitches1974

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If I had the money for the 2.7 I'd get that as it sounds like it will last longer than the 2.3 due to carbon buildup on the intake valves. And I like manuals.
Just add a catch can.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Why should you get the manual? Because you want it. Because you prefer it over the auto. You either have to have it or you don't. If you don't, then you probably shouldn't.

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
How exactly is one supposed to clean their intake valves? I'm not talking about some additive.

And to the other person about catch can, I'm torn. I see both sides. I do NOT like the idea that I buy a new vehicle under warranty and have to start drilling under the hood. It's ridiculous in my opinion that it hasn't been addressed more by Ford.

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Personal choice.
If you already have a manual and you really like it.
No down side to the v6 auto. It even has trail turn that the 7 speed does not have.

If this was back in the 1990's or before that then the manual had some real advantages. But that was before crawl control, and downhill descent control. The manual could do both of those things just because that is how manuals work and always have.
Now the auto can do that too.

For me the manual is more fun.
The manual doesn't have the trail turn? That sucks. What a cool and unique feature.
Sponsored