Sponsored

Manual vs. 2.7 Auto .. What to do.. Pros & Cons (Why Manual??)

Stitches1974

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
How exactly is one supposed to clean their intake valves? I'm not talking about some additive.

And to the other person about catch can, I'm torn. I see both sides. I do NOT like the idea that I buy a new vehicle under warranty and have to start drilling under the hood.
Uh what? No drilling needed. Catch cans are fairly simple installs anyone could do.
Sponsored

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
Uh what? No drilling needed. Catch cans are fairly simple installs anyone could do.
I watched a mechanic video where he taps both turbos on a 2.7, then drill the air filter box, install a new oil fill that doubles as a port, etc.

Plus wouldn't that void your engine warranty?

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you get the V6 you're not cool because it's an auto.

If you get a manual you're not cool because you have a 4x4 off-roader with a tiny engine.

So, take your pick.

Stitches1974

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I watched a mechanic video where he taps both turbos on a 2.7, then drill the air filter box, install a new oil fill that doubles as a port, etc.

Plus wouldn't that void your engine warranty?
You were talking about the 2.3 and getting deposits. My reply was directed at the 2.3 and no, the 2.3 on the mustang or ranger don't require any tapping or drilling.

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thank you for the link and I know you're trying to help but I'm aware you can take things apart and have it cleaned if you're wanting an invasive and expensive servicing, but I'm no longer a "car guy". I need a reliable daily driver without extra servicing needed. I was just saying that it's ridiculous that any manufacturer doesn't include something like the catch can if it does indeed help as much as it seems to, that's all. :)

The days of me removing my passenger seat just to haul my new beefier rear diff and swapping out rear ends in a parking lot is over lol. I'm busy and a family and no money.

Sponsored

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
You were talking about the 2.3 and getting deposits. My reply was directed at the 2.3 and no, the 2.3 on the mustang or ranger don't require any tapping or drilling.
Oh, I see. Thank you. And doesn't it void the warranty though?

If you get the V6 you're not cool because it's an auto.

If you get a manual you're not cool because you have a 4x4 off-roader with a tiny engine.

So, take your pick.
What about an auto 2.3? ?

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

i'm getting the 2.3 w/ stick.

i've already got two vehicles that theoretically should suffer from intake issues but it looks like VW learned something between gen ii and gen iii of the turbo 4 banger. the gen ii's were notorious for intake issues, but the gen iii's don't seem to be susceptible (many reports of aftermarket catch cans collecting virtually nothing)

worst case, i'll become acquainted with walnut blasting in 60,000 miles for the bronco.

Stitches1974

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Oh, I see. Thank you. And doesn't it void the warranty though?
Hopefully Ford will make one for the Bronco and they already make one for the Mustang. If it's a ford part and if Ford installs it, you should have no warranty issues. Plenty of people out there run them with no issues. Very, very rarely does something happen with a catch can causing issues and that's normally caused by an improper install.

Sponsored

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hmm. Now that you quantified it, that might not be a terrible 100,000/150,000 mile extra servicing "penalty" I give myself...

I'd be perfectly happy with a base model with 2.7 manual if it existed.

Hopefully Ford will make one for the Bronco and they already make one for the Mustang. If it's a ford part and if Ford installs it, you should have no warranty issues. Plenty of people out there run them with no issues. Very, very rarely does something happen with a catch can causing issues and that's normally caused by an improper install.
Oh okay! Well I didn't know that. Thank you. That's exactly what I'd do. A grand installed sounds crazy high. Hmm.

Aren't there fairly short servicing periods for catch cans or do you have any insight or thoughts about a 2.3 catch can?

Incognito

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jk
Your Bronco Model
Base
We don't know that the 7M comes from China with any certainty yet.

Getrag has two factories that can make the 7M.
One in China, the other in the UK.

No one has confirmed where the 7M is coming from.

Unless you have new information.
Do tell.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have said it before that yes the 2.7 is bigger and has an extra turbo but we are talking about a 2.3 vs 2.7 that less than half a liter. Both engines have tough blocks and could withstand alot of abuse and alot more hp. Hopping them up would actually make them seem more and more similar being high powered small motors.

I feel the 2.3 is more than adequate. However I would prefer the 2.7, but I cannot abide a slushbox no matter how many lazy drivers talk about all the so called advantages of automatic shifting. I just cant deal with the stress of knowing that tweaking the pan or nicking a line will render the 10spd a burnt useless pile of crap.
Sponsored