Sponsored

Manual vs. 2.7 Auto .. What to do.. Pros & Cons (Why Manual??)

Cased

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dune buggy
Your Bronco Model
Base
The 2.7 is my pick because the torque comes on sooner and stays ahead of the 2.3 across the board stock.
Not interested in tunes or mods , have plenty of stuff to mess with.

Not against manual's have a muncie m21 I can go bang on ....just not necessary for Bronco in my case

That said a 2 dr 2.3 manual is as retro as it gets , if I could just afford two
Sponsored

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm still in the 2.7L w/MT camp.

I've done a majority of the wrenching on my vehicles over the last 40 years. I'm not going to spend "my" money on an engine that has a "known" issue. If FoMoCo would add PI to the 2.3L, then it would be a viable choice "for me".

As for wanting the MT, well, that a whole different story. One that involves my youngest son. I'll just say it's a "Very Sentimental Reason" and leave it at that.

Stitches1974

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Oh okay! Well I didn't know that. Thank you. That's exactly what I'd do. A grand installed sounds crazy high. Hmm.

Aren't there fairly short servicing periods for catch cans or do you have any insight or thoughts about a 2.3 catch can?
Not sure where you got $1,000 installed from. Nowhere close to that. As for servicing, every 2-3,000 miles you open the catch can and dump the oil out. Can probably go longer, but do it sooner than later, until you get a better estimate on when you dump it.

Last edited:

The_Phew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2.3L 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm much more excited about the prospect of owning the last new manual transmission 4x4 than just another AT 4x4 (that will surely be improved upon before BEVs become the only viable option in a couple decades).

Think of other sports cars and 4x4s that used to offer a manual but no longer do (4Runner, 911 Turbo, every Ferrari, Acura NSX, XJ Cherokee, etc); the last generation to offer a manual is now a collector's item, but auto versions from that generation are just another car.

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
Not sure where you got $1,000 installed from. Nowhere close to that. As for servicing, every 2-3,000 miles you open the catch can and dump the oil out. Can probably go longer, but do it sooner than later, until you get a better estimate on when you dump it.
Damarble said as such though I'd figure $400 is more realistic for what I'm seeing for similar parts and my guess on labor.

And thank you, yes I'll be doing that! I feel much better now that I know Ford will install it and it won't void the warranty.

Sponsored

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Kinda makes me want to plumb a crankcase evacuation into the exhaust downwind of the sensors. I used did that on my old high compression maverick 306 to keep my valve covers from leaking all the time. It gave the exhaust a real nice 60s smell.

TrailDust

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco, 23 Bronco Sport, 97 F-150, 07 Cummins
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Built in security system LOL! (too bad my wife had an '84 F-150 with a manual when I met her so I know she'll be able to drive it)

"only 18 percent

The report from U.S. News and World Report showonly 18 percent of U.S. drivers know how to operate a stick shift. It says that because of advancements in automatic transmissions and fuel economy, only about 5 percent of vehicles sold in the U.S. today come with a stick shift."

Studawg

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Excursion, 96 Land Cruiser, 18 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
$$$$$$$

Well, for one reason, its the cheapest drivetrain, so theres that.

But I havent owned a manual in over ten years and I just want one. Well I owned an E30 325i for a short time and that was fun.

I also thought about adding some sort of blowoff valve to make cool noises when I shift! ?‍♂

Its just more fun!

calgecko

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Chevy ZR2 Bison V6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

the only reason I'd be interested in a manual is for the cost savings.

tlowell01

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You can rationalize this decision any which way from Sunday, and there will be no shortage of people that totally agree with your rationale. There will also be plenty of people that will pick your rationale apart and tell you its wrong.

If you enjoy driving a car with manual transmission, then you should get the MT. It might be a little steeper learning curve on the offroading, but there have been plenty of people that have started out offroading with MT, so its not like it can't be done.

If shifting gears seems like a hassle to you or the offroading-assist features are attractive to you, then you should get the AT. If you want the most possible power, pair it with the 2.7L. If you'd rather save some money and pair it with the 2.3L, that's what you should do. I really believe its not going to be underpowered.

The great thing about these options is none of them are bad! You just have to figure out what the right one for you and your family is!

Sponsored

Skmarshall

Black Diamond
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'96 F150, '16 Escape, '19 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Is it easier to break drivetrain parts with a manual than an automatic? I'm thinking axles and driveshafts.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Anyone can drive an auto, and no matter how powerful the engine, auto dampens it

Always can Barra/Tremec swap down the line
Sponsored