First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SHO, 2001 Cobra, 2021 bronco 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So. This is off topic but location specific off topic.
I just accepted a job offer at pax river. So ill be moving from Michigan this summer assuming all goes well. I've never been to Maryland and only know what I have found in my research, which is a lot of dated info, and the hr long rant of a friend who was stationed there 20yrs ago and hated it.
Im hoping some of you maryland locals might have some more useful advice like hows traffic? Are there specific places to avoid while apartment shopping? Hows the job market(my gf is really worried about this one)? How bad are the gun laws? Should I leave my fun stuff and mags in Michigan?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored

srotier

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco - 2 Door; 2017 Dodge Durango GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I worked at PAX for a little bit, here's what I can help with.

-Look for living arrangements on the same peninsula as PAX, when you have to travel over the bridge is when traffic is terrible. (the housing is good on the other side of the bridge, but likely not worth the traffic headaches)
-Everything you need is right there fairly close to PAX, except airports. Those will require an hour+ drive in each direction. Baltimore Airport is probably easier to get to, Reagan or Dulles might be quicker, but you'll have to deal with more of the DC traffic.
-I lived in Hollywood, MD and the commute was easy. I had a big lot of land and a lot of privacy.
-Maryland is not the friendliest state in the union for gun laws. They don't mind you having them, but you'll have to get their CCW permit, they don't honor any other states.
-When transporting in the car through DC, you need to have everything separate firearm in one secure location and ammo in another different secure location of your car (or have a list of ranges readily available, so you can at least say you are on your way to the range)
-It really is a beautiful area to live in. I think there are plenty of places to get off-road around there, however I'm not familiar with them because I wasn't in the off-road community when I lived there.

Hope this helps!

stm378

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just accepted a job offer at pax river. So ill be moving from Michigan this summer assuming all goes well. I've never been to Maryland and only know what I have found in my research, which is a lot of dated info, and the hr long rant of a friend who was stationed there 20yrs ago and hated it.
Im hoping some of you maryland locals might have some more useful advice like hows traffic? Are there specific places to avoid while apartment shopping? Hows the job market(my gf is really worried about this one)? How bad are the gun laws? Should I leave my fun stuff and mags in Michigan?
I've lived here for 42 of my 43 years and I had to look up Pax River to see what that is, but don't be too hard on me since I'm not military.

It's down in southern Maryland where just about everywhere should be fine as far as apartment shopping. I can't speak to the job market for southern MD, but it's strong up here where I live (I'm about 20 miles out from both Baltimore and DC (though those DC miles go a lot slower), so she should definitely be able to find something, it's more a matter of how much driving she'll need to do depending on what she's looking for. That whole general area is very nice, my buddies and I actually drive past Pax River every year to go on a crabbing trip at a city that's just a little farther south, super friendly, and very relaxing vibe (granted that's not on a military base). I don't have a gun but I've heard from some of my friends that do that the laws are a lot more stringent than the surrounding states like Va and WV (that said, as srotier mentioned, DC is really really strict). Again as far as traffic goes, if you stay down in that general area it's fine, but the closer to DC you get it becomes a nightmare (it was pretty easy going for a while there mid-pandemic comparing to how it used to be, but it's starting to pick back up).

MrJoe

Black Diamond
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'73 Bronco (sold), '99 Ram, '08 Explorer, '16 CMax
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Stay away from Great Mills and Lexington Park when home shopping. Everyplace else is nice. The area around PAX has grown A LOT over the past 10 years. Traffic reflects it around the base. Hope you like crabs and oysters...lol As far as gun laws...Maryland sucks at 2A rights.

OP
OP
Stangcrazy66

Stangcrazy66

Badlands
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for all the advice guys. If more questions pop up I'll post again

Sponsored
OP
OP
Stangcrazy66

Stangcrazy66

Badlands
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Stay away from Great Mills and Lexington Park when home shopping. Everyplace else is nice. The area around PAX has grown A LOT over the past 10 years. Traffic reflects it around the base. Hope you like crabs and oysters...lol As far as gun laws...Maryland sucks at 2A rights.
Are those areas bad for crime or just a little ghetto?

Broncolli

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Back Diamond 4 door MIC
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have always lived in MD - I like it - I think it is a lot of fun and there is a lot to do. As far as guns - not sure what you plan to do - but you can own them. I believe there are some ranges down in that area as well. Good luck - and when you get here - can an Old Bay tattoo

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm a expatriate Marylander. Grew up in the Burbs of DC. I know the state well, and have been to the base at Pax many times for business. Maryland has become the California of the East. Since I left in 2003 the gun laws are a lot more restrictive.

Now where Pax River is, that's southern Maryland, which is waaaay different than the Maryland around DC and Baltimore. There still are a lot of rational, politically conservative people out that way. I don't know about the housing situation near the base, but it's a pain in the ass to drive there because you need to make turn after turn to get there. It's all small country roads. So map out the right place to live distance wise. There's not much traffic in S. Maryland.

There lots of stuff to do. Lots of water sports to participate in. Lastly, what does your GF do for work?

Sponsored

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Southern Maryland, the bulk of the Eastern Shore and Western Maryland are nothing like the beltway counties. Politically, the beltway counties control the state politically. Very laid back vibe outside them, good folks. I'm in far western Maryland, but have lived on the Eastern Shore and spent time in Southern...

OP
OP
Stangcrazy66

Stangcrazy66

Badlands
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm a expatriate Marylander. Grew up in the Burbs of DC. I know the state well, and have been to the base at Pax many times for business. Maryland has become the California of the East. Since I left in 2003 the gun laws are a lot more restrictive.

Now where Pax River is, that's southern Maryland, which is waaaay different than the Maryland around DC and Baltimore. There still are a lot of rational, politically conservative people out that way. I don't know about the housing situation near the base, but it's a pain in the ass to drive there because you need to make turn after turn to get there. It's all small country roads. So map out the right place to live distance wise. There's not much traffic in S. Maryland.

There lots of stuff to do. Lots of water sports to participate in. Lastly, what does your GF do for work?
Funny, were looking at places in cali Maryland lol. I used to be stationed in real California so I'm used to bad politics. Gf is a trained phlebotomist, but has been working in the airline parts room for the last year. Actually pays more then phlebotomy here. She's really looking forward to all the fishing and seafood out there.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Funny, were looking at places in cali Maryland lol. I used to be stationed in real California so I'm used to bad politics. Gf is a trained phlebotomist, but has been working in the airline parts room for the last year. Actually pays more then phlebotomy here. She's really looking forward to all the fishing and seafood out there.
So the GF has logistics experience? If so, I think she'll have no problem finding a job. The economy around the Nations Capitol is very good. Congress writes themselves checks...

OP
OP
Stangcrazy66

Stangcrazy66

Badlands
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Southern Maryland, the bulk of the Eastern Shore and Western Maryland are nothing like the beltway counties. Politically, the beltway counties control the state politically. Very laid back vibe outside them, good folks. I'm in far western Maryland, but have lived on the Eastern Shore and spent time in Southern...
So the GF has logistics experience? If so, I think she'll have no problem finding a job. The economy around the Nations Capitol is very good. Congress writes themselves checks...
Yeah, they never seem to run out of other peoples money lol

cybersal

Base
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Lifetime Marylander and am fairly liberal (don't throw chairs at me). There are good and bad people everywhere. A friend from the Chicago suburbs used to live in Baltimore -- he called Baltimorians "compulsively friendly."

The DC 'burbs and Baltimore City/the surrounding counties control the state politically due to population. Central Maryland is where the bulk of people live. A candidate can win Baltimore City, Baltimore, Prince George's, and Montgomery Counties, lose every other county and still win the election. Baltimore City's population is around 600,000; the other three have over 800,000 each. Which means more people live in *one* of these four jurisdictions (Baltimore City is an independent city) than in the entire state of Wyoming.
Sponsored