Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Badlands; '95 Jeep XJ; '05 F-350; '07 Camry
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

NOOB here---what is the purpose of the "Soft shackle"?

The rope has protected loops, I wouldn't hang it over a bumper or frame, but would a regular steel shackle be harmful?
On tough pulls, a hard (steel) shackle/attachment point might fail and come flying back at the puller/driver/anyone in the way at high speed, whereas a soft shackle will likely fall to the ground within a few feet/yards of the now-broken attachment point...plus it can be easier to attach with a "softie" if the hard points are limited or non-exsistent. Search YouTube for THOSE vids...frightening.
Sponsored

Bronc-OH

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep XK, Jeep WJ
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thoughts on 30' versus 20' on the recovery rope from those who have used it? Does the 30' really provide that much more advantage?
I have not used either, But from what I have read, 30ft would allow you to get to 1> Higher speed before pulling due to distance, 2> Store more energy from said pull.

CWO4

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, FX4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Enjoy watching but I think they are getting a little proud of themselves. Can get the same thing from a company that has been around ropes and making marine lines for decades for $100 less.

http://www.masterpull.com/7-8-super-yanker-kinetic-recovery-rope-28-500-lbs/

Doesn't have the Youtube star name on it though for the Sheeple
That rope in 30' is $185 plus tax (total $201) the yellow rope comes with soft shackle and bag for $249, compared across the board pretty competitive.

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
On tough pulls, a hard (steel) shackle/attachment point might fail and come flying back at the puller/driver/anyone in the way at high speed, whereas a soft shackle will likely fall to the ground within a few feet/yards of the now-broken attachment point...plus it can be easier to attach with a "softie" if the hard points are limited or non-exsistent. Search YouTube for THOSE vids...frightening.
Also a reason to never use a tow ball as a recovery point!

Sponsored
OP
OP
Aman

Aman

Badlands
First Name
Aman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 M3, 2008 Armada, and 2022 Badlands ManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Also a reason to never use a tow ball as a recovery point!

While I wholeheartedly agree with you, they did go to extremes to cause the ball to fail in that video.

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Enjoy watching but I think they are getting a little proud of themselves. Can get the same thing from a company that has been around ropes and making marine lines for decades for $100 less.

http://www.masterpull.com/7-8-super-yanker-kinetic-recovery-rope-28-500-lbs/

Doesn't have the Youtube star name on it though for the Sheeple
There Youtube "stardom" has all come within the last year. If you watch their videos you would say "Couldn't happen to a nicer guy/family" It is family friendly entertainment, they are super knowledgeable (I have used his videos as education for my staff) and it is beautiful scenery. I already have kinetic ropes, but if I didn't, I wouldn't mind sending him a few extra bucks. He comes across as that nice.

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
While I wholeheartedly agree with you, they did go to extremes to cause the ball to fail in that video.
1000% agreed, but they're trying to make a video / prove a point related to the deaths they've seen. Probably didn't have time to replicate the N number of cycles for low-cycle fatigue that a typical tow-ball would experience under normal loading conditions prior to being used as a recovery point.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I understand the rope vs. strap and it makes good sense. One item to add, never use a strap that has a hook attached to it. They can also become missiles and cause injuries and damage regularly. I actually did the training to be an ORV trainer for the state of MI and 1/2 day was dedicated to safe recovery. All of the officers on hand for training could tell recent stories of issues with hooks and straps. D rings are better, but still pose risk (lots of videos of how to mitigate risk when winching or using straps). As a side note, most recovery straps typically have a bit of stretch built in and if used properly, work in a similar (although less effective) way using kinetic energy. I have used straps countless times to pull vehicles out of some pretty stuck situations. A little momentum often helps pop the stuck vehicle from whatever it is stuck in (usually snow in my use) and you can see and feel the recovery strap stretch and then sort of “pop” the vehicle.

The Bronze

First Edition
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1967 Ford Bronco, 1993 Turbo Notchback, 2006 Sierra K1500, 2013 Sierra K1500, 2014 Sienna Mini-Van
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Ever tow somebody who can't keep the strap tight? the jerking and lurching? The kinetic takes care of that! I use one kinetic for the recovery and another for the tow. The tow unit gets some rubs and the occasional jackass that runs over it while driving. That prevents damage to the one that actually gets exposed to real forces during a recovery. A 20' is strap is better for offroad, where there are hills, rocks, sharp turns that are extremely tough to navigate without damaging the strap, but sometimes you want to keep an idiot a bit further back... Occasionally, the strap needs to get shortened even further to prevent damage going over obstacles. I just go slow and reassess as I go. I have thousands in recovery gear that I don't want to have to buy again! :)
Sponsored