Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4 runner, 2 Mazda 3s
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Bronco can outdo everything else better than Maverick: looks/style, off road prowess, heritage, and recognition. I am positive the Maverick will be a good choice for many individual lifestyles and needs. But I am still ecstatic to be a Bronco reservationist, regardless of not being first in line. However, if I believed the Maverick could haul my Honda-420 down the road to the camp, I'd consider adding it too!

Sponsored

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wheel base + suspension matter a whole lot more than engine power for tow rating.

Be glad that the Bronco can only tow 3500, because that means you’re getting one heck of an off-roader.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you want/need to tow, you should NOT buy a Bronco.

If you have a really early reservation, you should probably cancel it.

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Makes sense to me

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

If you want/need to tow, you should NOT buy a Bronco.

If you have a really early reservation, you should probably cancel it.
See, I disagree with all the "should get a pickup instead" crowd.

I think Ford should offer a max tow package that maybe adds a rear sway bar, and changes the rear springs, maybe upgraded radiator/fan/trans cooler, and gives us a Class III versus II receiver, getting us to the range of an FJ Cruiser or 4Runner (4500 to 5000). (That's $745 on a Maverick, versus the $595 we pay for just the 7Pin and a Class II receiver.) Maybe don't offer it on Badlands.

There is no reason why the Bronco can't be both an offroad sport vehicle, and an offroad vehicle with some utility to get the rest of your gear to base camp.

Also, while you can make modifications to make it safer for the Bronco to tow more than rated, you can't change the manufacturer's ratings. However, if you have a max tow Bronco, you could unbolt that swaybar and zip strap it up out of the way, and get at least most of that rear articulation back when you're not max towing, while still having the rating for when you need it.

My view is the Bronco is somewhere between the Defender and the Rubicon, and people will buy it for that pretty close to extremely capable but more civil positioning. If it just could tow a 4500lb 20 foot trailer (loaded) or boat, it becomes even more adventure flexible.

Sponsored

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I have no real intention of towing anything with my Bronco, not even ordering the hitch; wonder if I'll ever be able to resell it. :sick:

Username_not_found

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat 500 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Bronco can outdo everything else better than Maverick: looks/style, off road prowess, heritage, and recognition. I am positive the Maverick will be a good choice for many individual lifestyles and needs. But I am still ecstatic to be a Bronco reservationist, regardless of not being first in line. However, if I believed the Maverick could haul my Honda-420 down the road to the camp, I'd consider adding it too!
I mean the Bronco does everything it's designed for better than the Maverick, but there are a lot of things the Maverick will do better than the Bronco. Pavement ride comfort+noise. Payload. Towing. FUEL EFFICIENY (by a 2:1 margin). Storage space. Schlepping gear. Price. Can only assume it will have more cupholders (probably it's biggest engineering feat over the Bronco).

At the same time, Bronco has: Offroad capability (and literally every aspect that goes with it from ground clearance, 4x4, breakover, gearing, etc.) Fun (top off, power, doors off). Looks (subjective, but also it'll probably be 9:1 on people who think the Maverick is better looking than the Bronco).

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Suspension matters most. Wheelbase isn’t huge honestly. The Escape is 5 inches longer than the 2 door and can tow more than many of the more optioned 4 door Broncos. The Maverick is 5 inches longer than the 4 door but only nets a 500 pound improvement. There’s no correlation on wheelbase especially when a Grand Cherokee with 114” wheelbase can over double tow what a Bronco can.

Yes the Bronco is built from the factory for strictly off-roading but to act like it’s not entirely capable to haul with aftermarket support is ridiculous thinking. You’ll be turning a Raptor into an FX4 as far as capability but if people want utility I don’t think the Bronco is a waste of time. There will be improvements made on this.

The biggest drawback of the Bronco in default form for towing is the ease of weight shift. You just barely put weight on either end and it starts sending the opposite end upwards. That’s the killer for towing. You cannot reliably tow big weight when it takes weight off the front and you can no longer get enough traction to turn properly at speed. Suspension changes must be made and that is really the sole keeper of the tow capacity.
Thats what a proper WDH will fix.

Td66

Wildtrak
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4 runner, 2 Mazda 3s
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I mean the Bronco does everything it's designed for better than the Maverick, but there are a lot of things the Maverick will do better than the Bronco. Pavement ride comfort+noise. Payload. Towing. FUEL EFFICIENY (by a 2:1 margin). Storage space. Schlepping gear. Price. Can only assume it will have more cupholders (probably it's biggest engineering feat over the Bronco).

At the same time, Bronco has: Offroad capability (and literally every aspect that goes with it from ground clearance, 4x4, breakover, gearing, etc.) Fun (top off, power, doors off). Looks (subjective, but also it'll probably be 9:1 on people who think the Maverick is better looking than the Bronco).
I think the hybrid will only be offered in front wheel drive configuration. I am interested in the 250 hp option as I drive 50 miles roundtrip to work and would like something with more tech and comfort then my current vehicle. All wheel or 4 wheel drive is a must for me.
Sponsored