Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
See, I disagree with all the "should get a pickup instead" crowd.

I think Ford should offer a max tow package that maybe adds a rear sway bar, and changes the rear springs, maybe upgraded radiator/fan/trans cooler, and gives us a Class III versus II receiver, getting us to the range of an FJ Cruiser or 4Runner (4500 to 5000). (That's $745 on a Maverick, versus the $595 we pay for just the 7Pin and a Class II receiver.) Maybe don't offer it on Badlands.

There is no reason why the Bronco can't be both an offroad sport vehicle, and an offroad vehicle with some utility to get the rest of your gear to base camp.

My view is the Bronco is somewhere between the Defender and the Rubicon, and people will buy it for that pretty close to extremely capable but more civil positioning. If it just could tow a 4500lb 20 foot trailer (loaded) or boat, it becomes even more adventure flexible.
No, you can't hedge with Bronco...you have to go all in on what sells the most, and Jeep has shown the formula for that with this type of vehicle. What you are discussing would compromise the goal: Off-Road open air capability. You want, or see Bronco in between Rubicon and Defender; Ford wanted it better than Rubicon in every off-road category by 15%...and they achieved almost all of it...Bronco is better out of the box than Rubicon overall, and to do what you are saying would have risked that to grab a few people, at the risk of losing the masses. No one wants "pretty close"...they want better. "Pretty close"...gets you the disasters you see everywhere with no real off road capability.
Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

No, you can't hedge with Bronco...you have to go all in on what sells the most, and Jeep has shown the formula for that with this type of vehicle. What you are discussing would compromise the goal: Off-Road open air capability. You want, or see Bronco in between Rubicon and Defender; Ford wanted it better than Rubicon in every off-road category by 15%...and they achieved almost all of it...Bronco is better out of the box than Rubicon overall, and to do what you are saying would have risked that to grab a few people, at the risk of losing the masses. No one wants "pretty close"...they want better. "Pretty close"...gets you the disasters you see everywhere with no real off road capability.
Yeah, I didn’t say de-spec Badlands. I said offer a version or package for people who’s usage isn’t Badlands.

(The key reason they didn’t put the rear sway bar on there was to make up for less articulation up front.)

Also, after watching a ton of compare Jeep to Defender vids and the Bronco ride alongs, the Bronco absolutely is a more rugged Defender with articulation, and a more civilized / electronic Rubicon.

UNBROKN

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 F-350 CC dually, 97 Infiniti QX4, 21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I think the hybrid will only be offered in front wheel drive configuration. I am interested in the 250 hp option as I drive 50 miles roundtrip to work and would like something with more tech and comfort then my current vehicle. All wheel or 4 wheel drive is a must for me.
I read somewhere that AWD will be an option.

edit: found it...
Those who want more capability can upgrade to a 2.0-liter EcoBoost® gas engine delivering 250 horsepower and 277 lb.-ft. of torqueƗƗ with an 8-speed automatic transmission and standard front-wheel drive or available all-wheel drive. Equipped with the optional 4K Tow Package, conventional towing doubles to 4,000 pounds – enough for an average 21-foot boat.

Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Well if you only want open air off road capability maybe you should buy a quad.

See? It sounds f*cking ridiculous when someone says garbage like that to you doesn't it?

@Dads_bronze_bronco is talking about an optional package for those who want it. Like Sasquatch, but for towing. It would not affect you one iota if you didn't want to get it.

Virtual-Chris

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Suspension matters most. Wheelbase isn’t huge honestly. The Escape is 5 inches longer than the 2 door and can tow more than many of the more optioned 4 door Broncos. The Maverick is 5 inches longer than the 4 door but only nets a 500 pound improvement. There’s no correlation on wheelbase especially when a Grand Cherokee with 114” wheelbase can over double tow what a Bronco can.

Yes the Bronco is built from the factory for strictly off-roading but to act like it’s not entirely capable to haul with aftermarket support is ridiculous thinking. You’ll be turning a Raptor into an FX4 as far as capability but if people want utility I don’t think the Bronco is a waste of time. There will be improvements made on this.

The biggest drawback of the Bronco in default form for towing is the ease of weight shift. You just barely put weight on either end and it starts sending the opposite end upwards. That’s the killer for towing. You cannot reliably tow big weight when it takes weight off the front and you can no longer get enough traction to turn properly at speed. Suspension changes must be made and that is really the sole keeper of the tow capacity.
How much of a factor do you think the brakes are? The brakes on the Bronco concern me given the weight of the vehicle… without a trailer.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

How much of a factor do you think the brakes are? The brakes on the Bronco concern me given the weight of the vehicle… without a trailer.
The Ranger has similar GVWR and much higher GCWR. I can't see why brakes would be a problem on another vehicle so closely based on it.

At least one of the KOH videos showed drivers praising the brakes. This is not surprising given that they need to be good enough to hold the Bronco on crazy steep hillsides.

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Waiting til they build the grabber version.. 5.0 with a 6mt .
Ok, just joking... but the more I think about it the more fun it gets

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

See, I disagree with all the "should get a pickup instead" crowd.

I think Ford should offer a max tow package that maybe adds a rear sway bar, and changes the rear springs, maybe upgraded radiator/fan/trans cooler, and gives us a Class III versus II receiver, getting us to the range of an FJ Cruiser or 4Runner (4500 to 5000). (That's $745 on a Maverick, versus the $595 we pay for just the 7Pin and a Class II receiver.) Maybe don't offer it on Badlands.

There is no reason why the Bronco can't be both an offroad sport vehicle, and an offroad vehicle with some utility to get the rest of your gear to base camp.

Also, while you can make modifications to make it safer for the Bronco to tow more than rated, you can't change the manufacturer's ratings. However, if you have a max tow Bronco, you could unbolt that swaybar and zip strap it up out of the way, and get at least most of that rear articulation back when you're not max towing, while still having the rating for when you need it.

My view is the Bronco is somewhere between the Defender and the Rubicon, and people will buy it for that pretty close to extremely capable but more civil positioning. If it just could tow a 4500lb 20 foot trailer (loaded) or boat, it becomes even more adventure flexible.
I 100% agree with the sentiment and even the 4500 lb capacity "tow package" for overlanding, etc and have stated as much in earlier posts.
I'll add the " only available on 4 door" qualifier. That short 2 Dr wheelbase is not conducive to towing much beyond a pair of jet skis.
But, today, the Bronco that is (almost) available, is not built to tow.
As far as adding aftermarket stuff to it to pump up the tow rating.... will it legally change the combined weight rating?
I don't see that happening except at secondary manufacturers such as rv's, conversion vehicles, or something. Just a guess.

Ultimately, they need to bring back a TREMOR pkg. EXCURSION!!!! LOL
I think I have the wife and kid eating out of dumpsters if that's what it took to get one of those!! LMAO!
(just joking, Honey.... 🙄 )

TheSSBoz

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Suspension matters most. Wheelbase isn’t huge honestly. The Escape is 5 inches longer than the 2 door and can tow more than many of the more optioned 4 door Broncos. The Maverick is 5 inches longer than the 4 door but only nets a 500 pound improvement. There’s no correlation on wheelbase especially when a Grand Cherokee with 114” wheelbase can over double tow what a Bronco can.

Yes the Bronco is built from the factory for strictly off-roading but to act like it’s not entirely capable to haul with aftermarket support is ridiculous thinking. You’ll be turning a Raptor into an FX4 as far as capability but if people want utility I don’t think the Bronco is a waste of time. There will be improvements made on this.

The biggest drawback of the Bronco in default form for towing is the ease of weight shift. You just barely put weight on either end and it starts sending the opposite end upwards. That’s the killer for towing. You cannot reliably tow big weight when it takes weight off the front and you can no longer get enough traction to turn properly at speed. Suspension changes must be made and that is really the sole keeper of the tow capacity.
Agreed

Mostly suspension because my Xterra is rated for 5000 at 106 wheelbase and the bronco 4dr is 116....The bronco is looking to be pretty squishy like the raptor.

Guessing its definitely gonna need some aftermarket bump stops to put any weight on the back end.

Take a look at any current gen Raptor with anything in the back end compared to a regular F150. Raptor with just a topper sags...

reidski29

Wildtrak
First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Expedition, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

From what I saw on TFL Truck, it also comes with an integrated brake controller too....

Yes, I still am bummed the Bronco has the tow capacity of my ford edge, a Pacifica, etc while it is beat by a ranger, explorer, and the fact that the next gen raptor increased its tow rating...

BTomorama

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Nissan Rogue
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Be thankful it's low end capacity isn't as bad as the Wrangler.
Ford Bronco Maverick can out tow Bronco? Screenshot_20210609-131401_Chrome
Sponsored