Sponsored

Maximizing travel on factory bilstein coilovers?

Broncobro04

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 door Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Alright y’all, so here’s the deal. I have a 3” lift on a Sasquatch’d badlands. The rear seems like it still has a few inches of compression left and I’m trying to figure out what the limiting factor is. I would say it’s the lift, which the front is composed of a perch collar and a top spacer, and the rear is only a top spacer. The front compresses completely. I’ve added some pictures and a video to show what I mean. Does anybody have an ideas?

IMG_2724.jpeg

IMG_2725.jpeg

IMG_2726.jpeg

IMG_2727.jpeg

IMG_2728.jpeg

Sponsored

Last edited:

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

@BigMeatsBronco is a member that comes to mind regarding travel. I would go through his threads and get some ideas.

OP
OP
Broncobro04

Broncobro04

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 door Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not light enough springs, you need to remove the preload off the rear springs. This will allow more weight to transfer.
Sorry I’ve updated my post, the rear does NOT have a spring perch, only the front does

GreyZ

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo 350z, Bronco Badlands, Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Are you sure you arent on the bump stop in the rear? Did you loosen and retighten all of your rear control arms after the lift install at ride height?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Broncobro04

Broncobro04

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 door Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Are you sure you arent on the bump stop in the rear? Did you loosen and retighten all of your rear control arms after the lift install at ride height?
Would the rear upper control arms affect this? I installed new lowers but didn’t even touch the uppers. And it’s possible that I could be on the bump stop, it’s just weird that the bump stop in the rear would limit me that much

AccuTune Offroad

Base
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sasquatch 4 Door, Jeep JLUR, Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Base
The rear seems like it still has a few inches of compression left and I’m trying to figure out what the limiting factor is.
How did you determine this?

AccuTune Offroad

Base
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I may have misspoke, but I was going off of how much clearance there is between the tire and fender. Maybe should’ve said wheel travel instead of compression.
What are you looking at though, to determine this? Tire/fender clearance or are you looking at shock lengths? Or just watching that video?

OP
OP
Broncobro04

Broncobro04

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 door Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What are you looking at though, to determine this? Tire/fender clearance or are you looking at shock lengths? Or just watching that video?
Tire to fender clearance in the rear compared to the front. In the front it’s good, tucks all the way in without crushing the fender. In the rear, there’s quite the gap between the fender and tire and I’m trying to figure out how to close that gap

Sponsored

AccuTune Offroad

Base
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Tire to fender clearance in the rear compared to the front. In the front it’s good, tucks all the way in without crushing the fender. In the rear, there’s quite the gap between the fender and tire and I’m trying to figure out how to close that gap
I'm going to assume you are referencing the RTI ramp flex images. You are really not going to compress each corner to the max just from driving it up a ramp. Lots of things will keep the shocks/suspension from going all the way to max like sway bars/trac bars etc.

Are these stock springs and shocks?

OP
OP
Broncobro04

Broncobro04

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 door Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm going to assume you are referencing the RTI ramp flex images. You are really not going to compress each corner to the max just from driving it up a ramp. Lots of things will keep the shocks/suspension from going all the way to max like sway bars/trac bars etc.

Are these stock springs and shocks?
They are the factory bilstein springs and struts. The front has a preload collar. But even in the video of the jump landing, the rear still seems like it can tuck the tire a bit more

I’ll also add that the rear does not have a sway bar, only the front

AccuTune Offroad

Base
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
They are the factory bilstein springs and struts. The front has a preload collar. But even in the video of the jump landing, the rear still seems like it can tuck the tire a bit more

I’ll also add that the rear does not have a sway bar, only the front
Right on. Hard to really say if what we see in the video is "wrong" or should/could be changed. May be too stiff of a spring, not compressing easily, but too soft of a spring will have you bottoming out way too much, so also not good. It does Look like its bottoming out both front and rear though so I am sure its cycling fully. To be precise, we would need to measure shocks, but not sure thats really going to help. IMO, I would leave it alone and not try to get that tire to tuck more. You already have the sway bar disconnected which should help the rear axle move more. Just bc there is space btw tire and fender doesnt mean the axle/shocks can cycle the tire up that far.

fyi, these Broncos don't have external bump stops, so the shock is pulling double duty.

RainbowStix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you changed out the lower arms expecting extra travel without changing the uppers or anything on the shocks, you might be dissappointed. Infact, the only thing you might’ve gained from this is a negative change in on road ride quality, and more maintenance depending on the aftermarket bushings used.

I followed @BigMeatsBronco ‘s thread and cut my bumpstops which yielded extra compression travel in the rear (measured by tire to fender before and after). As a side effect, it seems to have cut out a lot of the “bucking” motion when you hit a bump (speaking for the Hitachi shocks). From there, I’m guessing the next limiting factor is the extended shock length (which can only be changed by buying new shocks), followed by the control arms.
Sponsored