Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2DR 7MT Badlands, F150 Lightning, New Holland 4030
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hello all!

I went to my local dealer's bronco event yesterday with one main goal in mind: measure the manual transmission throw length!

For reference, I daily drive a manual 2018 Corvette Z06, and my wife drives a manual 2020 Mustang GT.

Here were the results I found:

2018 Corvette Z06 (with Z07 Package)
3-43.5 in
1-72.5 in
2020 Mustang GT
3-43.75 in
R-52.75 in
2021 Bronco
3-45 in
R-53.625 in
Dads_bronze_bronco Jeep JK
3-45 in
2-R3.25 in

So, for those of you wondering, it is about 33% longer of a throw to the mustang, and I find it is definitely noticeable.

That being said, I have no complaints with it. The length seems fine, it goes into each gear pretty smoothly, and the clutch is feather light compared to the mustang (which is already a pretty light clutch).

I will try to answer any questions y'all have in the comments, and update this post if need be :)

FYI, I measured from 1-6, so it really is 5 inches, not 6.
When you happened to be measuring the shifter throw, did you get a feeling for how objects in the cup holders may interfere with your arm and shifting?

I have a Boss 302 and never use the cup holders. Anything in those cupholders interfere with shifting.

OP
OP
TRUCK3N

TRUCK3N

Badlands
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kennethbigler.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (Lux/Manual)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
When you happened to be measuring the shifter throw, did you get a feeling for how objects in the cup holders may interfere with your arm and shifting?

I have a Boss 302 and never use the cup holders. Anything in those cupholders interfere with shifting.
Ya definitely. So a normal sized water/soda bottle will most likely be fine. It sits very close to the arm rest and below the arm rest.
If you have any tall water bottle, or a big gulp, or anything like that, my guess is that it will get in the way.
I only had a normal water bottle for testing, I really should have brought something that I thought would be too tall.

Julz670

Black Diamond
First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Previously: '83 and '95 Bronco XLTs. RIP.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I wish this was something I cared about! So sad i'm not getting a manual. My first Bronco was an '83 manual and the throw length was savage haha

Sponsored

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
That is great.
It is not a Miata level short shifter but it is better than any truck, or suv, shifter I have had.

JTBros

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GR Corolla
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is cable driven no? Wonder how it compares to other cable driven Fords (unfortunately mine is in the body shop). Kind of surprised at the length if it’s actually the same as a JK. The JL I test drove felt much better than that one.

Many drivers have said it’s almost sports car like which I’d prefer over a wishy washy old truck. Didn’t realize vague feeling and long throws on manuals were manly 😂

OP
OP
TRUCK3N

TRUCK3N

Badlands
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kennethbigler.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (Lux/Manual)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is cable driven no? Wonder how it compares to other cable driven Fords (unfortunately mine is in the body shop). Kind of surprised at the length if it’s actually the same as a JK. The JL I test drove felt much better than that one.

Many drivers have said it’s almost sports car like which I’d prefer over a wishy washy old truck. Didn’t realize vague feeling and long throws on manuals were manly 😂
Luckily there was nothing vague about the throws of the shifter! I could tell what gear I was in at all times, and exactly when it was in each gate.
It is shorter than some old trucks I have driven, and it feels good.
But, as someone coming from driving sports cars, I didn't want people to think that it would be just like a mustang (like I have read before as well).

JTBros

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GR Corolla
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Luckily there was nothing vague about the throws of the shifter! I could tell what gear I was in at all times, and exactly when it was in each gate.
It is shorter than some old trucks I have driven, and it feels good.
But, as someone coming from driving sports cars, I didn't want people to think that it would be just like a mustang (like I have read before as well).
Awesome to hear! Sounds like the perfect recipe then. My Fiesta is a breeze to drive in traffic and I wouldn’t be surprised if the Bronco is similar in that vein.

Sponsored

Wide Open Roads

Badlands
First Name
Stace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Outback, '57 Alfa Romeo Giulietta, '10 911 C2S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I remember on my dad's '79 F250 the shifter was contoured to bend over the bench seat to account for the looooooong throws. Maybe I just have short legs and had the seat far forward?

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Texas Sunshine

Base
First Name
Suzann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Denny Swift

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
718 Spyder, 992 GTS, Citroen 2CV, Husky FE350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for that information. Those throws are surprisingly short (in a good way).

I measured my 3 cars 3rd-4th distance for reference (even though they are completely different vehicles)

Mini Clubman S 4 1/2”
BMW 435I (with M sport package, which has slightly shorter throws) 4 - 5/8”
Porsche Spyder 3 -1/4”

5” for the Bronco should be nice. But (how do I not make this sound dirty??)...I hope it has a click-into-place feel rather than a rubbery feel

clpray16

Base
First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Ford Bronco , Ford Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs