Sponsored

MGV seat material - does it compare to Land Rover Discovery HSE door sills and dash ?

Broncolli

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Back Diamond 4 door MIC
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hi everyone,

I have a LR Discovery 2019 - that has leather everywhere except the door panels and the dash. It seems like some type of soft vinyl - It looks a lot like the pictures of MGV. Can anyone confirm what material is used on the newer Land Rover's that feels like vinyl - is that the same I would expect on the seats of the MGV ?
When I see people describing the MGV as soft it brings this to mind and it worries me as I do not like that material. Feels fragile and very fake.
I know some really good things can be done with vinyl - but this matte colored vinyl I see on the MGV pictures does not look like one of them.
If it is the same as I have on the LR - I will probably drop down even further to get cloth.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Broncolli

Broncolli

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

There is definitely something in the Discovery that I have - it feels like 2000 or 3000 grit wet/dry sandpaper that has been used a bit. I don't like it the more I think about it.

OP
OP
Broncolli

Broncolli

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So marine grade - is there an exact definition - in other words - sounds like marketing fluff to me. What makes it marine grade? I imagine that all the convertibles that have vinyl also use UV inhibitors and some level of mildew/waterproofness.
"Why would any other manufacturer use it ?" easy - it is just vinyl - the fact that not all manufacturers do not call it MGV does not mean it is not the same thing. What worries me is that the pictures I see, look just like the stuff that is in my truck now. UV and mildew resistant is because they added some type of Scothgard to it, and if that is the case - then it is regular vinyl with a few additives - but it will still feel like another vinyl that may not be "mgv".

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I saw it in person today and it has a fairly premium look to it. The grain feels very nice to the touch. I'd be totally happy with it, but not available in Outer Banks.

Aman

Badlands
First Name
Aman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 M3, 2008 Armada, and 2022 Badlands ManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I saw it in person today and it has a fairly premium look to it. The grain feels very nice to the touch. I'd be totally happy with it, but not available in Outer Banks.
You're not referring to the Trail Rig, are you? That model is leather with the washout flooring.

Sponsored

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

MGV is UV resistant and also has bacteria, mold and mildew inhibitors. Other than that there's nothing special about it and my expectations aren't extremely high. I've got it on a high end fishing boat boat in medium gray and light blue seats and it's hot in the sun. Even though my last boat had white and light gray seats its seats still got really hot on a sunny day. That said, the heat is nothing that a cloth seat cover can't fix.

Pie Grande

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco (eventually)
Your Bronco Model
Base
its not MGV on the Land Rover, its faux leather or, synthetic leather

OP
OP
Broncolli

Broncolli

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

its not MGV on the Land Rover, its faux leather or, synthetic leather
....the door panel, I would not think they are passing that off a leather. It has no grain like the faux leather. It definately is some type of vegan material. I am just hoping the MGV is not like that

OP
OP
Broncolli

Broncolli

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

OK - "Philly" posted a picture of a boat that looks like it has a similar material - same color and everything and by zooming in - it looks identical. If this is the same stuff - then that sucks for me.

Ford Bronco MGV seat material - does it compare to Land Rover Discovery HSE door sills and dash ? 1607004497262
Sponsored