MGV used for Bronco vs generic MGV

Smalldog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jK
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Ford said that the MGV in the Bronco is an "industry-first" which might just be hype. I don't know if Ford is the first in using it for a car interior, or that this type of MGV material is the first, or both. If the former, then does anyone know where it was used before.

I know enough about leather to know that it can differ quite a bit. There is very cheap leather (bonded) and extremely nice leather (full grain bridle). I would guess that MGV, since a category and not a brand name, would be somewhat the same.
Sponsored

mrcx

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'67 Camaro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford said that the MGV in the Bronco is an "industry-first" which might just be hype. I don't know if Ford is the first in using it for a car interior, or that this type of MGV material is the first, or both. If the former, then does anyone know where it was used before.

I know enough about leather to know that it can differ quite a bit. There is very cheap leather (bonded) and extremely nice leather (full grain bridle). I would guess that MGV, since a category and not a brand name, would be somewhat the same.
I think they are referring to using Marine Grade Vinyl on the interior of a vehicle. My guess is the vinyl used in cars before have been a different standard of vinyl. I have no expertise in vinyl and don't know what differentiates "regular vinyl" from "marine grade vinyl". It might all be marketing.

texasgreazer

Heritage
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer, 2019 GMC Canyon
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I think they are referring to using Marine Grade Vinyl on the interior of a vehicle. My guess is the vinyl used in cars before have been a different standard of vinyl. I have no expertise in vinyl and don't know what differentiates "regular vinyl" from "marine grade vinyl". It might all be marketing.
"Corinthian" Leather!

centra28

Badlands
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They have vinyl interior option on lower trims of the F150, but it is not Marine Grade Vinyl.

Toastedtostito

Black Diamond
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My understanding is the marine grade vinyl has anti mold/mildew properties, where as regular vinyl lacks that

Sponsored

jehines3

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX350L, Chevrolet Silverado, Lincoln MKC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Marine Vinyl typically has better plasticizers and UV inhibitors and much thicker material.

My wife's Lexus CT200H was fitted with "Vegan Leather" (Vinyl). It was soft as heck and held up well. It was beige and took a lickin with two kids. It felt thin and flimsy but it really did the job for our three-year lease.

My boat upholstery seats are thick and heavy. I had a black stripe on a 1997 crownline 225CCR sunpad that would scald your uncovered legs if you weren't careful. Shorts or bathingsuit were fine.

Regardless, I'm committed to the Badlands with a black interior. My Toyota Highlander SE was only offered with a black interior and I like it (grey stitching of course)

Judge Rufus

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Wheeler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti QX80, GMC Sierra, Mercedes SLK32 AMG,
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Most Mercedes interior is a proprietary vinyl (faux leather) called MB Tex, and has been in use since the mid-1960's. You can upgrade to full leather on Mercedes, but the MB Tex is typically standard, especially on its lower models.

from: https://cartelligent.com/blog/does-your-mercedes-benz-have-leather-seats-the-surprising-truth/

Below is the breakdown of some of our top selling models that come standard with MB-Tex. You’ll notice that as the starting price gets more expensive, more clients opt to spend the extra money for leather.

• CLA-Class – 90% of clients choose MB-Tex. Starts at $29,900; leather adds $1,500.
  • C-Class – 88% choose MB-Tex. Starts at $35,800; leather adds $1,750.
  • GLK-Class – 75% select MB-Tex. Starts at $37,900; leather adds $1,850.
  • M-Class – 67% go with MB-Tex. Starts at $47,790; leather adds $1,620.
  • E-Class – 53% choose MB-Tex. Starts at $51,400; leather adds $1,620.
  • GL-Class – 40% select MB-Tex. Starts at $63,000; leather adds $1,620.
  • SLK-Class – 33% opt for MB-Tex. Starts at $43,950; leather adds $770.

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Difference between those vinyl seats in passenger cars and the ones in the bronco are that im guessing the ones in the bronco won't be able to breathe at all. They can make the vinyl perforated in a passenger car so it breathes and you don't sweat and stick to it. That's what I'm worried about.

Sponsored

thd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Camaro SS 1/LE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I saw a video review of a Badlands from a forum member and he said he was surprised at the material used for the MGV. He thought it was going to feel like vinyl used on boat seats but thought it felt very really nice. I think Ford might be alluding to this.

OP
OP

Smalldog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jK
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Thanks for the replies to my original question, but does anyone know if all MGV is basically the same, or is it like leather?

Stitches1974

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I hate Ford called it vinyl. It's nothing like vinyl people are familiar with.
Sponsored