John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Looks like I need a systems checklist for startup! I took off down the road and once I got up to 45-50 mph on the 3-lane, the driver's side MIC panel blew right off the car! Luckily I was able to pull over, run and retrieve (a driver stopped by the panel to protect it from being run over). Obviously I forgot to lock the latches on my new MIC2 Panel that my OBX waited for almost 3 months on Dirt Mountain.

It still works well (I'll know for sure after today's rain) and now its time for some Epoxy home repair, put my epoxy boat-repair skills to work. That protruding front corner is the worst. Can I assume epoxy will work, or will I need a more exotic panel glue!

I don't imagine buying a new panel is going to be easy . . . Can I get one of those MIC1 panels when replaced? I can attest that they are strong, and I don't think I'll make this mistake again!

Screenshot_20211028-135311_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211028-125521_Gallery.jpg

20211028_123354.jpg
Sponsored

gigidaho

Wildtrak
First Name
Gig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAM 1500
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
There are two types of people in this world: people who want a new bronco because they think the edges on the top aren’t rolled enough, and people who throw a little epoxy on a roof that hit the deck at 45 mph and say ‘it’s still good’

GToddC5

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 1971 Toyota FJ40, 1998 Corvette 'vert
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Corvette world calls this the FRC, or Flying Roof Club. Congrats on being the founding Bronco FRC member!

OtisFE

Outer Banks
First Name
Otis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

OUCH! Not going to be easy to repair

Sponsored

Vigor

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
There are two types of people in this world: people who want a new bronco because they think the edges on the top aren’t rolled enough, and people who throw a little epoxy on a roof that hit the deck at 45 mph and say ‘it’s still good’
I was thinking the exact same thing! Op has a surprisingly positive outlook 👍🏾

dingle87

Black Diamond
First Name
Reese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Eh... a little JB Weld and it'll be as good as new. LOL

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Someone on another thread insisted the mic tops are just cardboard covered in plastic. I thought he was being facetious. From your photos it really truly appears to just be cardboard. Are my eyes deceiving me?
Pressboard

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pressboard is a class of cellulose-based material constructed of several layers (plies) of paper which, when compressed using a combination of heat and pressure, form a stiff, dense material in a range of weights.[1] Pressboard has been widely used in traditional school and office products such as spiral-bound notebooks and three-ring binders, but its unique physical characteristics lend itself readily to a variety of end-uses, including (but not limited to) document storage, filing supplies (classification and file folders), report covers, Ford Bronco tops, folding cartons, tags, labels, and industrial applications.[2][3][4] It is commonly used to make the back panels of radios and some televisions. Pressboard may be converted using a number of different techniques (scoring, folding, die-cutting), and accepts a range of value-add decorating techniques (coating, foil-stamping, screen-printing, and embossing). Pressboard may contain recycled fiber content (including post-consumer waste), and is typically itself recyclable and biodegradable, making it an environmentally-sound choice for those seeking an alternative to petroleum-derived substrates. Pressboard has also been made from cornstalks.[5]

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was hoping you were going to say it was a MIC 1.0 top, but doesn't look like it - Damn.

You're taking it better than I would have.

TX_Bronco77

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Great when/if I get my Bronco I will be doing a "pre-flight" checklist.

Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Tiss but a flesh wound! The first dent/scratch is the most painful. On the bright side, lucky for you the panels aren't glass.

P52Ranch

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2DR 7MT Badlands, F150 Lightning, New Holland 4030
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wow

Someone on another thread insisted the mic tops are just cardboard covered in plastic. I thought he was being facetious. From your photos it really truly appears to just be cardboard. Are my eyes deceiving me?
That may have been my post. In reality it is high tech cardboard and not just plain cardboard. And the plastic is molded onto the composite under layer. and not just sprayed on by Phil Swift.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Pressboard

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pressboard is a class of cellulose-based material constructed of several layers (plies) of paper which, when compressed using a combination of heat and pressure, form a stiff, dense material in a range of weights.[1] Pressboard has been widely used in traditional school and office products such as spiral-bound notebooks and three-ring binders, but its unique physical characteristics lend itself readily to a variety of end-uses, including (but not limited to) document storage, filing supplies (classification and file folders), report covers, Bronco tops, folding cartons, tags, labels, and industrial applications.[2][3][4] It is commonly used to make the back panels of radios and some televisions. Pressboard may be converted using a number of different techniques (scoring, folding, die-cutting), and accepts a range of value-add decorating techniques (coating, foil-stamping, screen-printing, and embossing). Pressboard may contain recycled fiber content (including post-consumer waste), and is typically itself recyclable and biodegradable, making it an environmentally-sound choice for those seeking an alternative to petroleum-derived substrates. Pressboard has also been made from cornstalks.[5]
Isn't that what IKEA furniture is made out of? Maybe IKEA can make a better top for us...