Sponsored

andrusoid

Base
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Outback, '79 2G, '89 3G, '92 5G White!
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Epoxy is a thermosetting plastic, it is not a thermoplastic material; once it cures it can't reheated and reformed into a new shape.

"RESINS FOR REINFORCED PLASTIC MOLDING
Thermosetting resins are primarily used in the reinforced molding process... Diallyl phthalate, silicone, phenolic, epoxy, and melamine resins are also used, taking advantage of the special properties of each." pg. 204, Industrial Plastics, Ronald J. Baird/David T. Baird

EPOXY RESINS
"...As thermosetting materials, they are cured or cross-linked by the addition of a hardener to the original liquid resin. The repeating molecular structure is attached to thermal molecular groups as curing takes place..." pg. 58, Industrial Plastics, Ronald J. Baird/David T. Baird

So perhaps I should have been a bit more precise and said fiberglass CAN be an epoxy... But if the fiberglass is made with an epoxy resin, then it is in the class of epoxy plastics.

Geek mode now turned off. ;)
Nice to be precise. Thanks, I was just trying to be simple, not a simpleton as it turns out. My source was wikipedia, yours mo' betta. I still say that a binding agent is not the thing it binds. So, no. Fiberglass is not an epoxy. It is often bound with epoxy. Glass fibers are not a thermosetting resin, they are glass fibers.

I dig you though. Nice source material.
Sponsored

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Nice to be precise. Thanks, I was just trying to be simple, not a simpleton as it turns out. My source was wikipedia, yours mo' betta. I still say that a binding agent is not the thing it binds. So, no. Fiberglass is not an epoxy. It is often bound with epoxy. Glass fibers are not a thermosetting resin, they are glass fibers.

I dig you though. Nice source material.
I think we are arguing nothing. The binding resin is what makes the part plastic. There are many different classes of plastic resins that are used to make fiber-reinforced plastic parts; epoxy resins are one type of plastic used. So if an automotive part is fiber-reinforced plastic and the fibers are glass and the resin is an epoxy, then the part is an epoxy fiber-reinforced plastic.

It's all good brother.

andrusoid

Base
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I think we are arguing nothing. The binding resin is what makes the part plastic. There are many different classes of plastic resins that are used to make fiber-reinforced plastic parts; epoxy resins are one type of plastic used. So if an automotive part is fiber-reinforced plastic and the fibers are glass and the resin is an epoxy, then the part is an epoxy fiber-reinforced plastic.

It's all good brother.
We are indeed arguing nothing. It's just my brain. Apples in my oatmeal does not make an apple be oatmeal. That's all. Fiberglass is not an epoxy. It is fiberglass. I know that I am a literalist. Can't help it.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
We are indeed arguing nothing. It's just my brain. Apples in my oatmeal does not make an apple be oatmeal. That's all. Fiberglass is not an epoxy. It is fiberglass. I know that I am a literalist. Can't help it.
Does it make it oatmeal apple or apple oatmeal??? Is this a ratio thing? Now, even I am confused.

andrusoid

Base
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Does it make it oatmeal apple or apple oatmeal??? Is this a ratio thing? Now, even I am confused.
No more than the rest of us. Oatmeal with apples is no more an apple than fiberglass is an epoxy.

Epoxy is epoxy. Fiberglass may have epoxy as a binder, but fiberglass is not an epoxy.

La la la la la, la la la la la.

Sponsored

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
No more than the rest of us. Oatmeal with apples is no more an apple than fiberglass is an epoxy.

Epoxy is epoxy. Fiberglass may have epoxy as a binder, but fiberglass is not an epoxy.

La la la la la, la la la la la.
Fiberglass is classified as a (pay attention now) fiber-reinforced p-l-a-s-t-i-c. Glass fibers are not plastic; they are glass. Epoxy resin IS a plastic, which when used to make a fiber reinforced plastic part, the part is an epoxy plastic...

Have fun gentlemen.

Last edited:

rgwinn

First Edition
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘62 Vette
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Well, don’t feel bad, people with the soft top are struggling also, someone posted yesterday that they need a new soft top as they drove into the garage with it lowered partially back and bent the frame up. :LOL:

OP
OP
lakesinai

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Well, don’t feel bad, people with the soft top are struggling also, someone posted yesterday that they need a new soft top as they drove into the garage with it lowered partially back and bent the frame up. :LOL:
New cars, new boats, with these unfamiliar options like removable tops, there's some getting used to . . . Since we are, after all. "Only human!" When i was a boater, I'd take my new boat out, throw out some fenders, and practice docking against the imaginary fender-dock while i learned how the new boat handled.

rgwinn

First Edition
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘62 Vette
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

New cars, new boats, with these unfamiliar options like removable tops, there's some getting used to . . . Since we are, after all. "Only human!" When i was a boater, I'd take my new boat out, throw out some fenders, and practice docking against the imaginary fender-dock while i learned how the new boat handled.
I lived at Lake Tahoe for a number of years, amazed me that people with no experience could rent a boat or jet ski, trouble comes fast, and without experience people don’t know how to handle it.

Bronco216g

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392 & 2013 C63 AMG
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Hardtop went yeet and delete.

Sponsored

Naxster

Badlands
First Name
Dayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't know if anybody has suggested this already, but you could probably talk to your dealer and ask them to save a MIC 1.0 panel for you when they replace one for one of their customers.

OP
OP
lakesinai

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I don't know if anybody has suggested this already, but you could probably talk to your dealer and ask them to save a MIC 1.0 panel for you when they replace one for one of their customers.
That's what I am hoping, but I'm assuming that Ford will require all replaced MIC tops to be crushed.

OP
OP
lakesinai

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
What are you trying to accomplish in this series of photos? Inserting a skylight?
I thought it was a new beehive... ;)
Sponsored