Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What are you trying to accomplish in this series of photos? Inserting a skylight?
Me nothing don't even have my Bronco yet, this is taken from work that Panoramic Jeep ATX are doing on somebody's Bronco and found it interesting that it is really showing what the MIC is made of. Panoramic Jeep ATX make panoramic roofs, yes.
Sponsored

capterik

Base
First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford flex, ram promaster
Your Bronco Model
Base
This will not be a problem for me, I am follicly challenged.

bronconitis

Badlands
First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Suggestions:
Get you some tiger hair filler.
Sand the areas on either side of the busted area with 80 grit, about 4" out into the top.
Clean it well with compressed air.
Apply the tiger hair.
Once it is hard enough to sand (but not fully cured), shape it with a grinder to the basic overall shape desired.
Finish shaping it once cured.
Reapply as needed.
2K filler prime the repair area.
Sand with 320.
Find a grey that matches and repaint the panel. You may have to add texturing to it to semi-match the grain of the panel.
Sounds ESPEENSIVE

The_Viking

Big Bend
First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Rover
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Ford Bronco MIC 2.0 Top blew off (forgot to latch)! Pics of damage and material / construction dupont.PNG

BTW, this material is used to make helicopter blades

The_Viking

Big Bend
First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Rover
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Ford Bronco MIC 2.0 Top blew off (forgot to latch)! Pics of damage and material / construction aircraft panels1.PNG

High strength Nomex panels

Sponsored
OP
OP
lakesinai

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Ford Bronco MIC 2.0 Top blew off (forgot to latch)! Pics of damage and material / construction aircraft panels1.PNG

High strength Nomex panels
Yes, as I repair the panel that tumbleweeded down the highway at 45 mph, I'm impressed with its strength and rigidity. The protruding panel front-left corner, which exists mostly for looks, was the most badly damaged with cracking and delamination, but there is no honeycomb core in that area. The MIC color is in the top sheet of the laminate, so it's not really a repaintable piece, so the goal is to retain the skin, not fair and repaint it.

SmartSelect_20211104-114026_Gallery.jpg

The_Viking

Big Bend
First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Rover
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Yes, as I repair the panel that tumbleweeded down the highway at 45 mph, I'm impressed with its strength and rigidity. The protruding panel front-left corner, which exists mostly for looks, was the most badly damaged with cracking and delamination, but there is no honeycomb core in that area. The MIC color is in the top sheet of the laminate, so it's not really a repaintable piece, so the goal is to retain the skin, not fair and repaint it.

Ford Bronco MIC 2.0 Top blew off (forgot to latch)! Pics of damage and material / construction SmartSelect_20211104-114026_Gallery
Im sorry you had the mishap...but some commenters are saying the inside of the top is made of cardboard, and I know that's not the case.

OP
OP
lakesinai

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Im sorry you had the mishap...but some commenters are saying the inside of the top is made of cardboard, and I know that's not the case.
Yes, I'm glad you posted. People are generally too quick to venture opinions in an anonymous forum about things they dont understand, or don't have knowledge about. I've done that myself from time to time. That's also related to the general frustration many are feeling due to the delivery build/delays. I'm looking forward to this site transforming to a place to share information and experience with the Bronco, how repairs and upgrades are accomplished, etc. But that transformation will be slow, because many members here are still trying to get the vehicle, and its slow, and information is not always available, and Trust is a problem due to the behavior of some Dealers and sometimes Ford as well.

The_Viking

Big Bend
First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Rover
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Yes, I'm glad you posted. People are generally too quick to venture opinions in an anonymous forum about things they dont understand, or don't have knowledge about. I've done that myself from time to time. That's also related to the general frustration many are feeling due to the delivery build/delays. I'm looking forward to this site transforming to a place to share information and experience with the Bronco, how repairs and upgrades are accomplished, etc. But that transformation will be slow, because many members here are still trying to get the vehicle, and its slow, and information is not always available, and Trust is a problem due to the behavior of some Dealers and sometimes Ford as well.
Thank you for your insight. Im new here, and a mid Oct order. I probably wont be receiving a vehicle until late summer 2022 at best, and I hope to gain some knowledge about the vehicle as I wait.

Bob Blaylock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Dart
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think it is fair to say that this honeycomb material is a form of cardboard, albeit a much higher form than the forms of cardboard with which we are mostly familiar. At its root, it is the same material, just arranged on a different scale, in a different form.

Sponsored

MedicJim

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Malibu
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looks like I need a systems checklist for startup! I took off down the road and once I got up to 45-50 mph on the 3-lane, the driver's side MIC panel blew right off the car! Luckily I was able to pull over, run and retrieve (a driver stopped by the panel to protect it from being run over). Obviously I forgot to lock the latches on my new MIC2 Panel that my OBX waited for almost 3 months on Dirt Mountain.

It still works well (I'll know for sure after today's rain) and now its time for some Epoxy home repair, put my epoxy boat-repair skills to work. That protruding front corner is the worst. Can I assume epoxy will work, or will I need a more exotic panel glue!

I don't imagine buying a new panel is going to be easy . . . Can I get one of those MIC1 panels when replaced? I can attest that they are strong, and I don't think I'll make this mistake again!

Ford Bronco MIC 2.0 Top blew off (forgot to latch)! Pics of damage and material / construction SmartSelect_20211104-114026_Gallery

Why would it not be made in either fiberglass, or carbon fiber?

MedicJim

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Malibu
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thank you for your insight. Im new here, and a mid Oct order. I probably wont be receiving a vehicle until late summer 2022 at best, and I hope to gain some knowledge about the vehicle as I wait.
At least you will have yours in 2022, and be able to go on trails. I won’t have mine until 2023 since I want certain items that will not be coming out until 2023 and I am not going to settle for anything else.

Bob Blaylock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Dart
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Why would it not be made in either fiberglass, or carbon fiber?
My guess would be, that it has something to do with the fact that this glorified cardboard, properly-used, is at least as durable, and less expensive.

OP
OP
lakesinai

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

At least you will have yours in 2022, and be able to go on trails. I won’t have mine until 2023 since I want certain items that will not be coming out until 2023 and I am not going to settle for anything else.
I think its worth waiting for what you really want, and you won't be disappointed, Medic Jim! Mine tool longer because I insisted on the MIC top, and Im glad I did! Hang in there!

The_Viking

Big Bend
First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Rover
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I think it is fair to say that this honeycomb material is a form of cardboard, albeit a much higher form than the forms of cardboard with which we are mostly familiar. At its root, it is the same material, just arranged on a different scale, in a different form.
Aramid paper isn't cardboard in any way.
Ford Bronco MIC 2.0 Top blew off (forgot to latch)! Pics of damage and material / construction aramid.PNG
Sponsored