First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Rover
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My guess would be, that it has something to do with the fact that this glorified cardboard, properly-used, is at least as durable, and less expensive.
BTW, they use "this glorified cardboard " to make helicopter blades with.
Sponsored

Bob Blaylock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Dart
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Aramid paper isn't cardboard in any way.
I do not see how it is not cardboard.

It is paper, do you deny this?

And what is cardboard, other than heavy paper? I suppose we can quibble about semantics, and what the exact definition is of cardboard, but I think any rational definition we could come up with, this stuff meets that definition.

I say this, not in the least to disparage this material. Clearly, for some applications, this is a very good material, at least as good as, if not superior to, other more expensive and more prestigious materials.

The_Viking

Big Bend
First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Rover
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

And what is cardboard, other than heavy paper? I suppose we can quibble about semantics, and what the exact definition is of cardboard, but I think any rational definition we could come up with, this stuff meets that definition.

I say this, not in the least to disparage this material. Clearly, for some applications, this is a very good material, at least as good as, if not superior to, other more expensive and more prestigious materials.
Its not cardboard...its aramid fiber woven into a paper...geesh

The_Viking

Big Bend
First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Rover
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

cardboard

kärd′bôrd″
noun
  1. A material similar to thick, stiff paper, that is made of pressed paper pulp or pasted sheets of paper. It is used for making cartons and signs, for example.
  2. A stiff kind of paper made by pasting together two or more thicknesses of paper, drying and pressing; a thin pasteboard.

Aramid fibers, short for aromatic polyamide, are a class of heat-resistant and strong synthetic fibers. They are used in aerospace and military applications, for ballistic-rated body armor fabric and ballistic composites, in marine cordage, marine hull reinforcement, and as an asbestos substitute.[1]

The chain molecules in the fibers are highly oriented along the fiber axis. As a result, a higher proportion of the chemical bond contributes more to fiber strength than in many other synthetic fibers. Aramids have a very high melting point (>500 °C).

Common aramid brand names include Kevlar, Nomex, and Twaron.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Paper is highly underrated...

Sponsored

Bob Blaylock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Dart
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Its not cardboard...its aramid fiber woven into a paper...geesh
So, it's paper. Much fancier, and more durable than what we usually think of as paper, but that's what it is.

cardboard

kärd′bôrd″
noun
  1. A material similar to thick, stiff paper, that is made of pressed paper pulp or pasted sheets of paper. It is used for making cartons and signs, for example.
  2. A stiff kind of paper made by pasting together two or more thicknesses of paper, drying and pressing; a thin pasteboard.
So, since the base material is, in fact, paper, doing any of this with it makes cardboard. Much fancier and more durable than what we usually think of as cardboard, but that's what it is.

Altitude

Badlands
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Grand Cherokee, 2008 Suzuki B-King
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Get real cozy with your local dealer's service manager and see if he (or she) is willing to swap out your damaged panels with another customer's V1 MIC top that will be chopped up anyways.

The_Viking

Big Bend
First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Rover
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
So, it's paper. Much fancier, and more durable than what we usually think of as paper, but that's what it is.

So, since the base material is, in fact, paper, doing any of this with it makes cardboard. Much fancier and more durable than what we usually think of as cardboard, but that's what it is.
sure man anything you say...helicopter blades are cardboard, Jet engine cowlings, Rockets are cardboard, bullet proof vests are cardboard...sure thing:ROFLMAO:

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

sure man anything you say...helicopter blades are cardboard, Jet engine cowlings, Rockets are cardboard, bullet proof vests are cardboard...sure thing:ROFLMAO:
The back and fourth has been entertaining, but don’t argue science with people who don’t understand the science; it’s a waste of your time.

If a person can’t comprehend something, no matter how hard you try to present evidence, they can’t comprehend it because they don’t understand.

Remember, all new advancements in science and technology are tantamount to magic in the minds of the common. - Arthur C. Clarke

If someone can’t understand that paper is actually strong and is wood, or that a synthetic fiber that is both light and strong can be durable yet made of a composite, they just can’t. If engineering was easy……. You know the end of this statement.

The_Viking

Big Bend
First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Rover
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The back and fourth has been entertaining, but don’t argue science with people who don’t understand the science; it’s a waste of your time.

If a person can’t comprehend something, no matter how hard you try to present evidence, they can’t comprehend it because they don’t understand.

Remember, all new advancements in science and technology are tantamount to magic in the minds of the common. - Arthur C. Clarke

If someone can’t understand that paper is actually strong and is wood, or that a synthetic fiber that is both light and strong can be durable yet made of a composite, they just can’t. If engineering was easy……. You know the end of this statement.
well...its brown...so it must be cardboard:rolleyes:

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks