Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands, 07 BMW 335i, 05 Saab 9-5 Aero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was thinking the exact same thing! Op has a surprisingly positive outlook 👍🏾
I mean it sucks.. but its just a piece of top and it still attaches.... can make that look half decent... deal with it later.
Sponsored

skater777

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sorry for your loss. Is that a MIC top or a cheap piece of laminated particleboard furniture from China?

Bob Blaylock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Dart
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sorry for your loss. Is that a MIC top or a cheap piece of laminated particleboard furniture from China?
I wonder if the answer depends on how many times you ask the same question.

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Bronco attendants, please prepare for cross-check

BigMex

Badlands
First Name
Ezra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 White Ford Bronco (moar door, 7spd, lux)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great when/if I get my Bronco I will be doing a "pre-flight" checklist.

The checklist is an absolute must.

First world Bronco problems.

I hit my open softtop on my open garage. Thankfully, having the 7 speed manual transmission means I was gently feathering the reverse gear into action, and besides a solid thud, and a wood crossmember with some give, no serious damage was done.

Sponsored
OP
OP
lakesinai

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The checklist is an absolute must.

First world Bronco problems.

I hit my open softtop on my open garage. Thankfully, having the 7 speed manual transmission means I was gently feathering the reverse gear into action, and besides a solid thud, and a wood crossmember with some give, no serious damage was done.
Welcome to the TOP club!

TwinTurboStang

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Brodiak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thanks for the tip. SEM looks alot like the JB Weld suite of products. How thick is 39747? The first step needs a fairly thin epoxy to inject into the crack and impregnate the fiber, then clamp. The second step requires a thicker gel that can be built up and shaped. I'll probably use JBWeld 2part for the second because its gray is similar to the MIC color.
What the? Mine isn’t a probably, mine is from years and years of repairing SMC, Fiberglas and carbon. But ya if you “think” jbweld will work because of the color sure try that.

KyTruckPlant

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Mustang, 05 F150, 08 Expedition EL, 21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks like I need a systems checklist for startup! ]
I've made it a hard and fast rule of mine to ALWAYS latch my soft top whenever I put it up. No matter if I think I'm only going in the store for a few minutes and I know I'm planning on riding topless when I leave. If I put the top up (on in your case), I latch it up. It only takes a few extra seconds.

Sucks that it happened. Kudos to your good outlook on it!

Sponsored

Bob Blaylock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Dart
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You Better wear those battle scars proudly!🤕;)
This resonates well with me.

I caught some flack, in another thread, for dismissing someone's upset over a scuff in his Bronco, by pointing out that I do not expect mine to stay pristine in appearance; I expect it to get dirty, to get scratched, to get dented. Not even based on any expectation of any off-roading I might do with it, and what that will do, but just on the abuse that my current compact sedan has taken in the nearly five years I've had it.

I'm not buying my Bronco to keep as a pampered museum piece. I'm buying it to take out into the rough Real World. A world that includes construction sites with bad terrain, but much worse than that, also includes the traffic and road conditions in Sacramento, the capital of a state that is so deeply corrupt that it keeps jacking up our gas taxes to pay for road repairs, and then, instead of using it to pay for road repairs, lines the pockets of the criminals who infest our government, who then have the excuse to jack up our taxes again to pay for the road repairs that they didn't do with the last round of jacking up taxes for that purpose.

“A ship in the harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are for.” — John Augustus Shedd​

Mean Red GT

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 Door Badlands/2016 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do you have a link to that video?
Watch from about 2:20 -2:40. Literally looks like heavy corrugated cardboard inside

OP
OP
lakesinai

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I've made it a hard and fast rule of mine to ALWAYS latch my soft top whenever I put it up. No matter if I think I'm only going in the store for a few minutes and I know I'm planning on riding topless when I leave. If I put the top up (on in your case), I latch it up. It only takes a few extra seconds.

Sucks that it happened. Kudos to your good outlook on it!
Yes, thanks. That's the kind of systems operating rule I need, a driving habit for this very special vehicle!

andrusoid

Base
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Outback, '79 2G, '89 3G, '92 5G White!
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Looks like I need a systems checklist for startup! I took off down the road and once I got up to 45-50 mph on the 3-lane, the driver's side MIC panel blew right off the car! Luckily I was able to pull over, run and retrieve (a driver stopped by the panel to protect it from being run over). Obviously I forgot to lock the latches on my new MIC2 Panel that my OBX waited for almost 3 months on Dirt Mountain.

It still works well (I'll know for sure after today's rain) and now its time for some Epoxy home repair, put my epoxy boat-repair skills to work. That protruding front corner is the worst. Can I assume epoxy will work, or will I need a more exotic panel glue!

I don't imagine buying a new panel is going to be easy . . . Can I get one of those MIC1 panels when replaced? I can attest that they are strong, and I don't think I'll make this mistake again!

Ford Bronco MIC 2.0 Top blew off (forgot to latch)! Pics of damage and material / construction tenor

Ford Bronco MIC 2.0 Top blew off (forgot to latch)! Pics of damage and material / construction tenor

OMG, particle board, fiberglass and then plastic? Reckon that's cheaper than just good 'ole fiberglass with a gel goat. I wonder if I can find any of my boating buddies from the 90's in Florida that used to copy boat hulls by making a mold from the original hulls.

Now, this might have been done to save wait, but watcho, watch, 'dere be trouble comin' bro.

Sorry this happened to you, nice fix with the epoxy. Maybe you can get some epoxy clay and form over the tip.

andrusoid

Base
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Outback, '79 2G, '89 3G, '92 5G White!
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

That may have been my post. In reality it is high tech cardboard and not just plain cardboard. And the plastic is molded onto the composite under layer. and not just sprayed on by Phil Swift.
Actually looks like a plastic honeycomb from the videos. The cells are uneven and wonder how they were "grown". Maybe they plasticized flower DNA and fed it to honeybees that pump out plastic honeycomb?
Sponsored