First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 GTO M6 2004 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I went through a touch less car wash and the water pressure was insane. I’m not sure a removable top can prevent a little leaking under those conditions. I had a few drops get in on the passenger side but I’ll never see a rainstorm with that kind of direct pressure on the window and roof panel seals.
A correctly fitted hardtop on the Bronco will not leak in a car wash. MIC 2.0 here, with some open edges and snakeskinning. But, I've had mine through at least a dozen carwashes and never a drop.

Anyone with the hard top and a leak should get it looked at. It's not normal, even at a car wash.
Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Hell I use my pressure washer on my jeep, just inches away from the hard top seems and not a drop.

There is a tsb out for the Bronco that replaces the front seals I believe. You could try another dealer, but honestly, who cares who fixes it... A "leak" guy actually may do a better job. We know Ford's quality sucks.

Dirty Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco - 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I can confirm a few things...

1. The MIC 2.0 top is far from perfect. Mine has it's own issues but water leaks aren't one of them.
2. The order in which you do the latches during removal and reinstall of the hardtop is important.

When Removing:
- Start with the two big latches up in the front, followed by the smaller latches around the panels.

When Installing:
- Start with the smaller latches around the panels and then do the two big latches in the front last.

OP
OP

OHbaseBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Base 2.3 manual
Your Bronco Model
Base
A correctly fitted hardtop on the Bronco will not leak in a car wash. MIC 2.0 here, with some open edges and snakeskinning. But, I've had mine through at least a dozen carwashes and never a drop.

Anyone with the hard top and a leak should get it looked at. It's not normal, even at a car wash.
I agree and glad to hear that others believe so as well.

OP
OP

OHbaseBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hell I use my pressure washer on my jeep, just inches away from the hard top seems and not a drop.

There is a tsb out for the Bronco that replaces the front seals I believe. You could try another dealer, but honestly, who cares who fixes it... A "leak" guy actually may do a better job. We know Ford's quality sucks.
Thank you for the information on the front seals.

Sponsored
OP
OP

OHbaseBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I can confirm a few things...

1. The MIC 2.0 top is far from perfect. Mine has it's own issues but water leaks aren't one of them.
2. The order in which you do the latches during removal and reinstall of the hardtop is important.

When Removing:
- Start with the two big latches up in the front, followed by the smaller latches around the panels.

When Installing:
- Start with the smaller latches around the panels and then do the two big latches in the front last.
Thank you for this information. I haven’t removed any of the panels, but maybe they didn’t follow the correct order when installing.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

If your gasket gaps are the same as mine and other MIC tops I’ve seen, it will absolutely let a little water in at a touch less car wash. Every single time. The pressure and spray pattern on those things are pretty crazy.

This is the exact spot you show your dribbles of water.

Ford Bronco MIC 2.0 water leak from touchless car wash 5AE2C47F-0F88-46EE-981D-57211CBE6524

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Hopefully it’s just not installed correctly. And hopefully it’s your fault. I’d hate to hear it came improperly installed and leaking from the factory.

BTW, I don’t know what’s more shocking. The water in your photos, or the fact your dealer actually has a third party leak company on call. LOL.
There is a franchise called water doctors that specializes in servicing dealers for warranty water leaks. At one point this fall my work F250, and my 2 Broncos were on their schedule. I did have the TSBs done on both Broncos. The F250 actually had a worse water leak. You could hear the water rushing by on acceleration and braking.

The work truck was super time consuming. Finding and fixing the leak was the east part (rear of the cab vent) pulling the entire interior out, replacing al of the flooring covering and killing all the mold took 2 days. Truck is a 2021 and at the time was only 7 months old.

They barely can keep regular mechanics, subbing out the water intrusion/remediation seemed liked a brilliant solution.

gentlemanbronco

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Wish they had a option for a solid roof with just the 2 removable panels.
The camo disguise on the mic must have made them waterproof and snow proof.
I knew I wasn't alone in this!
I get the "heritage" of a removable roof, but I'd rather have something solid like the last gen bronco had.
My dream top would be solid with a glass double panel that you could retract.

Reactions: Jdc

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Long time reader. First time poster.

I picked up my 21 Bronco Base 2 door, in Oxford White, on 1/10/22.

I was told that Ford stopped producing Broncos with the MIC 1.0 tops, so I didn’t believe that water intrusion would be an issue on my new Bronco.

Any other MY21 MIC top owners, that took ownership after MIC 1.0 production stopped, experiencing water intrusion?

I went through a touch less car wash today and water comes through the top. I’ve attached a couple of pictures.

I called the local dealership service department and was told that they have a third party to repair leaks. Not sure how others feel about this, but after waiting 544 days for the Bronco, I really don’t want a roof repaired by a local leak repair shop. Seems like Ford should be repairing or replacing faulty roofs.

Ford Bronco MIC 2.0 water leak from touchless car wash 5AE2C47F-0F88-46EE-981D-57211CBE6524

Hello!
Send us a private message with your VIN and the name and location of your local Ford dealer.
I’d be happy to see what I can do to assist with this water leak concern on your Bronco. Thanks!

Sponsored
OP
OP

OHbaseBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
If your gasket gaps are the same as mine and other MIC tops I’ve seen, it will absolutely let a little water in at a touch less car wash. Every single time. The pressure and spray pattern on those things are pretty crazy.

This is the exact spot you show your dribbles of water.

Thank you for sharing information on the gasket cap as a potential leak point!

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Removable roof - kind of expected, unfortunately, given the pressure and amount of water at some of these car washes. Not taking mine through auto car wash, which is kind of annoying if anything since its so limiting to keeping it clean. In natural conditions, I only got minor water in the bronco once when it was parked in a severe rainstorm (enough that I lost power momentarily in the house).

Googled and did some math for a couple minutes. Heavy rain is 1.87 gals per hour, per square foot. An in-bay car wash uses 50 gals. Let's say your car is being sprayed down for 2 minutes, thats the rate of 1,500 gal per hour (50 x 60/2). Bronco is 16x6 ft or 96 square feet. Thats 15.6 gals per hour, per square foot....compared to natural heavy rainfall at 1.87.

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Took our Bronco to a newer touchless (just rebuilt a few months ago) and had a squirter...lol between the front at where the two panels come together. The Water blast was large, fast, close and at an angle...the wife and I were literally worried it might break the windshield. We had a good laugh and honestly not upset. It was not a lot of water that came thru either and that was the only spot.

We have been in several rains a d no issues one of the storms had tor-na-da's touch down in the area and no leaks.

I am more surprised our frame less windows did not leak at the car wash.

TheWoo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m a car wash guy. I take my vehicles through fairly often. I’ve had Wranglers, and now own both a Gladiator and a Bronco. Every once in a while I get a squirter like this. It’s a reality of car washes and removable tops - if you go through enough car washes you’ll eventually find one that sprays at just the right angle with just the right pressure to get a little through a seal.

Obviously not ideal, but also not something I worry about unless it’s consistent in multiple washes, then I assume I have something not sealed up properly, which can happen.

As has been recommended, I’d check your top panels, unseal and reseal them taking care to note how they go together, and not worry too much. If you have a bad seal, you should get it replaced by the dealer.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My 1.0 leaked a couple of times. I used a silicone cleaner (for mountain bikes 😁) on all the seals and made sure everything was lined up. Since then 0 issues. Removable tops are always going to be a little finicky. As a prior poster mentioned his Jeep, even my one pice LJ top leaked on occasion and I definitely had to clean and reposition the seals on occasion.
Sponsored