First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Shelby GT350, 22 Bronco BL, 29 Ford Roadster
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I know there are many threads already about wind noise and water leaks with these MIC removable tops and using foam and weather seals to mask or improve the issues.

First lets talk about "road noise" and "wind noise", tow totally different things. These roofs are thin so they can be easily removed which we all like but with this comes road noise and is really not bad at all considering. Wind noise is caused by small gaps in weather seals, glass or misaligned panels. Sometimes gaps causing wind noise can also cause water leaks.

Ok so we are talking "wind noise". I was a auto technician for 29 years and have experience with figuring out these type of issues and after picking up my Bronco I was hoping for the best but as soon as I went over 45 mph I could hear "wind noise"... then hit the highway heading home and the wind noise was unacceptable for any vehicle never mind a 50K+ vehicle. My Bronco spend many days and multiple visits back to the dealer to solve the problem. They changed the front gasket about the windshield the roof panels rest on, they removable roof panel gaskets, did the windshield recall to reseal it and could not improve the "wind noise" even after speaking with Ford tech the dealer did not have anything else to try and suggested I contact Ford directly so I picked up the Bronco and figured I would take another look myself.

This is the first problem I found using a light from the side. The dealer changed these roof panel gaskets and the gap is better but still leaks.
Ford Bronco MIC Hardtop 2.0 Wind Noise - Leaks Locations Found IMG_7501 2.JPG

Ford Bronco MIC Hardtop 2.0 Wind Noise - Leaks Locations Found IMG_7502 2.JPG

Now is a series of pictures I took today and I found all of these leaks in less than 1/2 hour. I used a smoke machine, but if you do not have access to one I will explain how to find them without.

Using a smoke machine start the vehicle and place the fan speed to high and also make sure your climate setting is for fresh air not recirculate. Then close all doors and windows this will create pressure inside and using a smoke machine from outside the vehicle run smoke over the gaskets, door seals, window seals and so on and you will see turbulence in the smoke where there is a leak.

No smoke machine no problem. Same as about but also put the A/C on and get it cold, again make sure it's not on recirculate. Get a wet rag or paper towel and wet the back of your hand with the rag. Now run the back of your hand about 1/2" away from the gaskets, door seals, window seals or where ever you suspect a air leak. No leak your hand will be warm as soon as there is air leaking you will feel the cool air and be able to pin point the problem area.

Check all these areas.

Ford Bronco MIC Hardtop 2.0 Wind Noise - Leaks Locations Found IMG_8651.JPG

Ford Bronco MIC Hardtop 2.0 Wind Noise - Leaks Locations Found IMG_8652.JPG

Ford Bronco MIC Hardtop 2.0 Wind Noise - Leaks Locations Found IMG_8653.JPG

Ford Bronco MIC Hardtop 2.0 Wind Noise - Leaks Locations Found IMG_8654.JPG

Ford Bronco MIC Hardtop 2.0 Wind Noise - Leaks Locations Found IMG_8655.JPG

Ford Bronco MIC Hardtop 2.0 Wind Noise - Leaks Locations Found IMG_8656.JPG

Ford Bronco MIC Hardtop 2.0 Wind Noise - Leaks Locations Found IMG_8657.JPG

The removable front panels are about 1/4" higher than the rear roof and I do not really see much adjustment to align them but I did not find any leaks on top of the roof, but I believe these panels need to be tightened down to align properly.

Ford Bronco MIC Hardtop 2.0 Wind Noise - Leaks Locations Found IMG_8658.JPG

Ford Bronco MIC Hardtop 2.0 Wind Noise - Leaks Locations Found IMG_8659.JPG

I do have someone from Ford working with me now, I contacted them from a previous thread but my Bronco will have to return to the dealer for them to assist. I will be making another appointment and I will update this post on what is done.
Sponsored

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hoping these issues were taken into consideration and resolved by the @ADV Fiberglass modular top.

Like Bronco did with the Wrangler, find everything wrong with it, and improve on it :)

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Ya you identified the areas we already knew were the problem, but with an undeniable scientific method lol. Great work. If you had a 4 door there would be a couple more areas. The wind noise is totally unacceptable on mine as well. Comical really. I’ll have my gaskets replaced at some point. Waiting for official fix, until then I’ve added some additional weather stripping that helps some.

OP
OP
mdfilip

mdfilip

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ya you identified the areas we already knew were the problem, but with an undeniable scientific method lol. Great work. If you had a 4 door there would be a couple more areas. The wind noise is totally unacceptable on mine as well. Comical really. I’ll have my gaskets replaced at some point. Waiting for official fix, until then I’ve added some additional weather stripping that helps some.
Ya I know there is a lot of wind noise threads .... and a lot on how to DIY some things to help, but I will not accept it until there is a real fix for the issue. I just had to do this and know for myself so can bring the info to Ford and the Dealer. My dealer is a hour aways so it's a pain to bring it there but they have been great to deal with and also Ford directly has been very nice so far.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Ya I know there is a lot of wind noise threads .... and a lot on how to DIY some things to help, but I will not accept it until there is a real fix for the issue. I just had to do this and know for myself so can bring the info to Ford and the Dealer. My dealer is a hour aways so it's a pain to bring it there but they have been great to deal with and also Ford directly has been very nice so far.
Keep the pressure on. My local dealer won’t mess with it. Ford has denied every warranty issue they have submitted for MIC top. They won’t even try anymore.

Sponsored

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wonder why some are like this and others are fine. I have zero issues with my mic top. No wind noise or leaks. Then again I haven’t had a single issue with my truck.

OP
OP
mdfilip

mdfilip

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wonder why some are like this and others are fine. I have zero issues with my mic top. No wind noise or leaks. Then again I haven’t had a single issue with my truck.
Not sure... my wife didn't hear a thing until I pointed it out. Again I have been in the auto business for years and I hear everything.

All I know is my 96 wrangler hard top rood sealed better and I have had corvettes and mustangs from the 80s with T Tops that also sealed better, you would think after almost 40 years this wouldn't be a hard problem to solve.... I mean they have completely retractable hard tops in many cars with tons of seals that do not make this much noise.

tshort

Base
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2Dr, Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thanks for the tip on tracking these down. Just tried it on my two-door, and I'm feeling wind at the top corners of both windows. One is worse than the other (and that matches our noise perception from the inside).

What are fixes for leaks here? I had already tried the trick of resetting the window positions.

OP
OP
mdfilip

mdfilip

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for the tip on tracking these down. Just tried it on my two-door, and I'm feeling wind at the top corners of both windows. One is worse than the other (and that matches our noise perception from the inside).

What are fixes for leaks here? I had already tried the trick of resetting the window positions.
I will post here after mine is at the dealer and we will see what Ford wants to do.

68 galaxie

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 galaxie /2017 f450 /2021 f150 / 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Sounds like you need to buy an Explorer or an Expedition . Broncos we’re never meant to be a luxury vehicle. But they have given us a taste of both worlds. Just be happy

Sponsored
OP
OP
mdfilip

mdfilip

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sounds like you need to buy an Explorer or an Expedition . Broncos we’re never meant to be a luxury vehicle. But they have given us a taste of both worlds. Just be happy
your ok with 1/8 - 1/4" gaps in gaskets on a truck that cost 50K? it sounds like a hair dryer in mine. Some Broncos do not, I test drove 2 soft tops before I got mine that did not have wind noise.... In fact I have a 29 Ford roadster with no roof and I think it has less of a wind noise.

Beeswax

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Do you think it has something to do with having the roof rack or not? Maybe having the roof rack adds a ton of wind noise. Anyone tried a before and after with and without the rack?

Brockdog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer ST-Line
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I owned my Bronco 4 door with the hard top for almost a year and my top never leaked, even going through the car wash with high speed dryers. And the windshield didn’t fly out or leak. 😁

Cable Guy

Badlands
First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi RS7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Seriously, what do people expect? This is not and never will be a quiet car on the freeway. Get over it, turn up the radio, buy earplugs or go buy a different car.

OP
OP
mdfilip

mdfilip

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Do you think it has something to do with having the roof rack or not? Maybe having the roof rack adds a ton of wind noise. Anyone tried a before and after with and without the rack?
I don't have a roof rack
Sponsored