Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt, 1967 Mustang Fastback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

man I'm a DIY guy, but 750 seems like a steal!!! Out here in West Texas they'd charge me that much to answer the phone
Sponsored

LAB0035

Badlands
First Name
Lex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wanted to get a Retro Look, and Line-X wanted $750.00 to do the top and hatches. I had read a lot about Raptor Liner (I have no connection with the Company) and decided to give it a try. I used my Kubota RTV to try out the spraying of the liner and had real good luck with it. So I gave the top a shot at it.

Once the top was off I washed it twice with car wash, and then did a third wash with Dawn Dish Soap. When it was dry, I went over all of the surface with 220 grit sand paper, and then wiped it down twice using Lacquer thinner. After that was dry, I went over everything with a tack cloth to remove any dust or small particles that I missed.

I then used Adhesion Promoter over all of the surface and let sit for 20 minutes, and during that time I mixed up the Raptor liner. If you do this project, keep in mind that the Blue Painters Tape and Green Frog Tape do not stick well to the seals. I had a little overspray where the tape did not stick.

My final part of the Retro Build was having the Factory Big Bend wheels powder coated white. The Tires are BFG-K02's size 285-75-17. No rubbing during turns and the Crash Bars are still in.

Nothing special about my equipment. I have a 30 gallon Dewalt compressor, and used the Adjustable sprayer that Upol sells. The adjustable sprayer gives you the option to have a heavy or fine finish. BJ.

IMG_8095.jpeg

IMG_8097.jpeg

IMG_8098.jpeg

IMG_8099.jpeg

IMG_8122.jpeg

IMG_8133.jpeg

IMG_8138.jpeg
LOOKS Great. We have used raptor liner before but had issues with fade and yellowing after about a year in the sun . did you use any kind of UV rated clear coat?

JohnnyMotorBoat

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Wildtrak 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
@KNXBronco this looks amazing. You have me already in photoshop trying to picture this on my wildtrak wheels :cool:

white_top.png

G8RNCO

Badlands
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Landrover Discovery 2 G4/ Bronco on order
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wanted to get a Retro Look, and Line-X wanted $750.00 to do the top and hatches. I had read a lot about Raptor Liner (I have no connection with the Company) and decided to give it a try. I used my Kubota RTV to try out the spraying of the liner and had real good luck with it. So I gave the top a shot at it.

Once the top was off I washed it twice with car wash, and then did a third wash with Dawn Dish Soap. When it was dry, I went over all of the surface with 220 grit sand paper, and then wiped it down twice using Lacquer thinner. After that was dry, I went over everything with a tack cloth to remove any dust or small particles that I missed.

I then used Adhesion Promoter over all of the surface and let sit for 20 minutes, and during that time I mixed up the Raptor liner. If you do this project, keep in mind that the Blue Painters Tape and Green Frog Tape do not stick well to the seals. I had a little overspray where the tape did not stick.

My final part of the Retro Build was having the Factory Big Bend wheels powder coated white. The Tires are BFG-K02's size 285-75-17. No rubbing during turns and the Crash Bars are still in.

Nothing special about my equipment. I have a 30 gallon Dewalt compressor, and used the Adjustable sprayer that Upol sells. The adjustable sprayer gives you the option to have a heavy or fine finish. BJ.

Ford Bronco MIC hard top painted white using Raptor Spray Liner:  DIY how-to and photos white_to

Ford Bronco MIC hard top painted white using Raptor Spray Liner:  DIY how-to and photos white_to

Looks fantastic! Any thoughts of moving on to the bumpers, fender flairs and grill?

OP
OP
KNXBronco

KNXBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Looks fantastic! Any thoughts of moving on to the bumpers, fender flairs and grill?
G8RNCO: Thank-you for the reply about my BigBend. At this time I am not considering the bumpers, flairs and the grill. I have a Hammerbuilt Spare Tire Support that I have painted Velocity Blue and plan on installing it this coming weekend. Thanks again, BJ.

Sponsored
OP
OP
KNXBronco

KNXBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
LOOKS Great. We have used raptor liner before but had issues with fade and yellowing after about a year in the sun . did you use any kind of UV rated clear coat?
Lex: Thanks for the reply. I did not use any UV rated Clear Coat. I will look for any change in the finish and if it does consider another coat of liner with a UV protector. BJ.

Gtrekker

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor, Audi, M1102 Overland Trailer 2-B
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Markups: Thank-you. It is like a sand finish. I wanted it to be fine so I used about 55psi of air pressure to get it like it is. BJ.
Nice job!!!👍👍

I'm curious about the texture. Do you still have the MIC's top texture, just a bit smoother or smooth like body panel? Not sure what you mean by sand. I get the spray pressure. Did you do more than one coat? Thanks

LAB0035

Badlands
First Name
Lex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Lex: Thanks for the reply. I did not use any UV rated Clear Coat. I will look for any change in the finish and if it does consider another coat of liner with a UV protector. BJ.
Cool. I hope it stays white for you. That white looks damn good on the broncos. I don’t know why Ford didn’t offer the white top from the get go

OP
OP
KNXBronco

KNXBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Nice job!!!👍👍

I'm curious about the texture. Do you still have the MIC's top texture, just a bit smoother or smooth like body panel? Not sure what you mean by sand. I get the spray pressure. Did you do more than one coat? Thanks
Gtrekker: Thank-you for the reply. The finish is a very fine texture finish. It does not show any finish of the MIC top. Hard to describe, but the best I can say it looks like very fine painted sand. Hope this helps. BJ.

Shark1247

Badlands
First Name
Kelly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thats a great looking rig. I think thats the way to go on the top.

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I'm thinking of doing something like this, but staying with the original color (black). I want to do it for structural integrity to beef up the crap MIC.

Do you feel like the top was stiffer and more durable now with the coating?

OP
OP
KNXBronco

KNXBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'm thinking of doing something like this, but staying with the original color (black). I want to do it for structural integrity to beef up the crap MIC.

Do you feel like the top was stiffer and more durable now with the coating?
Thanks for the reply about the top. I could not notice any difference when it was put back on, but seeing how Raptor liner is epoxy based I guess it added a little to it . BJ.