Ash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Camry
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Unfortunately Ford most likely won’t cover it. Mine is cracking too and they said not covered because they think something hit it 🙄 impossible considering the location. You can have your dealer check with ford directly to see for sure. If they do by some miracle please let me know!
Sponsored

BadAss bronco dude

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
superduty.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hi Everyone.
Have a quick question. Anyone else’s roof breaking?
I have a Jan’22 with a hard top and am on the east coast. I’ve probably taken my driver | passenger side roofs off about 15 or less times this year. I do store them in my trunk if I am out on the road when I take them off - And today when I went to put my roof back on I noticed the front tip is completely falling off and cracking. I hadn’t notice until today.
Is this even capable of being replaced or covered under anything?

6590884B-CD63-43D8-853F-CECEDDA64054.jpeg

A7D128F8-01D9-49E8-A371-59AC869FE8F0.jpeg

C0DB8A23-CFC4-4858-B72F-C0BE013ED261.jpeg
Well I looked through the whole thread and nobody attached a link or part number for the mic tops. I have a soft top and am waiting for the hard tops to come out so I can switch it out... Any help?

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Hi Everyone.
Have a quick question. Anyone else’s roof breaking?
I have a Jan’22 with a hard top and am on the east coast. I’ve probably taken my driver | passenger side roofs off about 15 or less times this year. I do store them in my trunk if I am out on the road when I take them off - And today when I went to put my roof back on I noticed the front tip is completely falling off and cracking. I hadn’t notice until today.
Is this even capable of being replaced or covered under anything?

6590884B-CD63-43D8-853F-CECEDDA64054.jpeg

A7D128F8-01D9-49E8-A371-59AC869FE8F0.jpeg

C0DB8A23-CFC4-4858-B72F-C0BE013ED261.jpeg
It is repairable.

I blew my roof off last October, joining the Flying Roof Club through my own mistake (forgot to latch), and the injury looks exactly like that in your photo. Those front corners protrude and are easily broken. If you store in your car, you have to protect those corners. You also need to modify your removal/reinstall proceedures. Given the extent of the break in your photo, it was most likely dropped on the pavement, IME

I personally repaired my broken corner, Because of my previous experience with epoxy boat repair. While there is honeycomb coring in the MIC panels, THE CORNERS AND EDGES ARE SOLID, i know, I opened up and repaired mine. You should be able to have yours structurally repaired by a good body shop, however, the paint match will be imperfect unless you paint the whole roof. That was fine with me.

You should be able to find my repair journal by searching "mic roof repair" or at this link: https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/a-mic-top-repair-after-panel-blew-off.28919/

However, you may have more extensive damage than a corner. I notated a photo of OP 's photo, there's a second long crack paralleling the first, indicating a strange impact, or perhaps a compression fracture, like someone stood on the roof panel on the ground in order to reach the top, sat on it, etc. Theres more to the story, perhaps someone borrowed the OP's car and did damage by mistake. This panel has more damage than my panel did, and mine hit the asphalt highway at 45-50 mph, tumbleweeded down the road, and I was able to recover and put back on vehicle before repair. These panels are sturdy.

The reason the interior diagonal crack is worrisome is that is over a laminate coring area. More difficult repair in so many ways than the corner. Also, the curvature of the panel may be permanently compromised during repair, causing leakage at the gaskets underway in the rain. The more I think about it, replacement or one of those Sunrider tops is the best option . . . Or buy a Sunrider now, and a replacement piece in a couple of years or when found used.

Ford Bronco MIC Hard Top Roof Breaking / Cracking Screenshot_20220805-192145_Chrome

Last edited:

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If you didn't drop it, did you park/leave it somewhere with your windows open? Maybe someone swapped with you.

I believe I read on here somewhere they were about $2400 each panel to replace. That's why I have been xxxtra careful.
That would not be easy. A thief would have to remove the driver's panel first, then remove the damaged passenger panel, then install the imposter panel, then put the driver's panel on. The OBX has door alarms.

Sponsored

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Well I looked through the whole thread and nobody attached a link or part number for the mic tops. I have a soft top and am waiting for the hard tops to come out so I can switch it out... Any help?
There are several aftermarket companies making full solid 4dr hard tops, but nothing like Ford's 5 panel design. Maxilider produced a Fiberglass prototype 1-piece for about $9,000, but its not on their site. You'll probably have to wait awhile for replacement panels to be affordable, or be from wrecks. https://www.maxliderbros.com/2021-2022-ford-bronco/

TXscooterguy

Black Diamond
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Corvette Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If I understand correctly, our government recently acknowledged that UFOs were seen by trained observers flying around our military assets. Do you live near a military base? If those little green guys are smart enough to have solved intergalactic space travel, I'll bet they could have "hot wired" your Bronco and gone for a joy ride. While their vehicles may be fast, I'm guessing the Bronco is a lot more fun to drive.

BadAss bronco dude

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
superduty.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Dayton1984

Wildtrak
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Acura RDX
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Yeah, it’s not… that’s the roof innards. “Sound deadening headliner” is just a fancy phrase for that thin, fuzzy felt you see on the left side of it. The majority of the hardtop construction is essentially a cardboard honeycomb that is sandwiched by two thin layers of plastic. If you haven’t seen it mentioned before, do a search for snakeskin (the plastic is so thin the honeycomb pattern shows through sometimes).

Also to OP, I agree with the other guy. If you just had them loose in the back you either pinched it in the tailgate or had to have smacked the shit out of it coming to a stop/taking off or cornering. Cause to me it looks like that dangling piece is only the inner portion and is completely missing the outer layer of plastic.
This is like wish app and spirit airlines had a child

Sponsored

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Dang not solid at all like I thought… cardboard nice… best top it is
Lightweight sandwich coring is used in boat hulls, airplane fuselages, and auto panels. The inner and outer resin-infused fiberglass skins combine with (wrap) a lightweight core to make a stronger, lighter part. Resin Infused paper/cardboard, end grain balsa, foams, more exotic Divinycell panels and more are used. It is not evidence of cheap construction. Well enginerred, It makes a strong, lightweight structure . . . In this case, so the roof panels are light enough to lift on and off the roof. Or a boat to be light, especially the upper decks . . .

codydb19

Big Bend
First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

This is like wish app and spirit airlines had a child
Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think there is anything inherently wrong with the design/engineering of the hardtop (apart from wind noise issues). Structurally it’s pretty sound, it’s not some flimsy p.o.s. that’s waiting to fold up on you. I wouldn’t do it, but there are pics of people standing on their hardtops. The design meets the purpose, strong enough to meet demands yet light enough to easily remove/replace. If the hardtop was made from a solid chunk of plastic it would be way heavier and way harder to remove. Hell I’ve seen some people state that the middle section is hard enough for them to remove solo as is.

Just as @lakesinai said this design is the way to go for the top’s purpose.

Dayton1984

Wildtrak
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Acura RDX
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think there is anything inherently wrong with the design/engineering of the hardtop (apart from wind noise issues). Structurally it’s pretty sound, it’s not some flimsy p.o.s. that’s waiting to fold up on you. I wouldn’t do it, but there are pics of people standing on their hardtops. The design meets the purpose, strong enough to meet demands yet light enough to easily remove/replace. If the hardtop was made from a solid chunk of plastic it would be way heavier and way harder to remove. Hell I’ve seen some people state that the middle section is hard enough for them to remove solo as is.

Just as @lakesinai said this design is the way to go for the top’s purpose.
Thanks for explaining that makes a bit more sense. Did look just like cardboard with a carpet sticker so seemed concerning but explaining that helps understand it a bit better.

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A decent body shop or boat fiberglass guy can fix that if the OP isn comfortable doing it himself.
Sponsored