Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ram hds fj cruisers broncos
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The OPs comments completely reasonable.
I joked with my wife that the leaky top was another not immediately noticed Retro Feature Ford did a good job recreating. Part of the charm.
Next stop, rusted out floor boards.
Sponsored

colbert

Badlands
First Name
scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ram hds fj cruisers broncos
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I like the trouble shooting technique share. Gives anyone a chance to solve the noise on the first or second go.

friethmiller

Everglades
First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150, 1974 Porsche 914, 1974 Porsche 914 LE
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

I wish I had a Bronco for which to test for leaks! Y'all have good problems. #stillwaiting #FML

Min_Ahn

Badlands
First Name
Min
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang, 2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
"BUILT TOUGH"

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I know there are many threads already about wind noise and water leaks with these MIC removable tops and using foam and weather seals to mask or improve the issues.

First lets talk about "road noise" and "wind noise", tow totally different things. These roofs are thin so they can be easily removed which we all like but with this comes road noise and is really not bad at all considering. Wind noise is caused by small gaps in weather seals, glass or misaligned panels. Sometimes gaps causing wind noise can also cause water leaks.

Ok so we are talking "wind noise". I was a auto technician for 29 years and have experience with figuring out these type of issues and after picking up my Bronco I was hoping for the best but as soon as I went over 45 mph I could hear "wind noise"... then hit the highway heading home and the wind noise was unacceptable for any vehicle never mind a 50K+ vehicle. My Bronco spend many days and multiple visits back to the dealer to solve the problem. They changed the front gasket about the windshield the roof panels rest on, they removable roof panel gaskets, did the windshield recall to reseal it and could not improve the "wind noise" even after speaking with Ford tech the dealer did not have anything else to try and suggested I contact Ford directly so I picked up the Bronco and figured I would take another look myself.

This is the first problem I found using a light from the side. The dealer changed these roof panel gaskets and the gap is better but still leaks.
IMG_7501 2.JPG

IMG_7502 2.JPG

Now is a series of pictures I took today and I found all of these leaks in less than 1/2 hour. I used a smoke machine, but if you do not have access to one I will explain how to find them without.

Using a smoke machine start the vehicle and place the fan speed to high and also make sure your climate setting is for fresh air not recirculate. Then close all doors and windows this will create pressure inside and using a smoke machine from outside the vehicle run smoke over the gaskets, door seals, window seals and so on and you will see turbulence in the smoke where there is a leak.

No smoke machine no problem. Same as about but also put the A/C on and get it cold, again make sure it's not on recirculate. Get a wet rag or paper towel and wet the back of your hand with the rag. Now run the back of your hand about 1/2" away from the gaskets, door seals, window seals or where ever you suspect a air leak. No leak your hand will be warm as soon as there is air leaking you will feel the cool air and be able to pin point the problem area.

Check all these areas.

IMG_8651.JPG

IMG_8652.JPG

IMG_8653.JPG

IMG_8654.JPG

IMG_8655.JPG

IMG_8656.JPG

IMG_8657.JPG

The removable front panels are about 1/4" higher than the rear roof and I do not really see much adjustment to align them but I did not find any leaks on top of the roof, but I believe these panels need to be tightened down to align properly.

IMG_8658.JPG

IMG_8659.JPG

I do have someone from Ford working with me now, I contacted them from a previous thread but my Bronco will have to return to the dealer for them to assist. I will be making another appointment and I will update this post on what is done.
Glad you're working on this. I haven't found any leaks on mine, over 1 year, and the gaskets all fit tight. Wind noise is worse with the TrailRax rear rack installed. The radio helps. No front panel noise. Noise location is top drivers side where mid panel meets cap.

Sponsored

newclubfront

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Seriously, what do people expect? This is not and never will be a quiet car on the freeway. Get over it, turn up the radio, buy earplugs or go buy a different car.
I just want it to be on par with my gladiator, not discernibly worse. Maybe that’s an unfair comparison though because wranglers have been around for a lot longer?

carrellslake

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thank you for this detailed investigation. I have a feeling that no matter how vocal people are about the poor seals on this roof, Ford won't address it because they already lost so much money replacing MIC 1.0 roofs.

Mine has most of the problem areas you outlined and it's frustrating that my dealership basically told me its "built as designed".

OP
OP
mdfilip

mdfilip

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Shelby GT350, 22 Bronco BL, 29 Ford Roadster
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thank you for this detailed investigation. I have a feeling that no matter how vocal people are about the poor seals on this roof, Ford won't address it because they already lost so much money replacing MIC 1.0 roofs.

Mine has most of the problem areas you outlined and it's frustrating that my dealership basically told me its "built as designed".
That is not acceptable at all. Mine is headed back in now that I have a contact and a case started at Ford ... they say they will work with the dealer to find a solution.

Like I said earlier some Broncos are not that bad and some are very bad.

carrellslake

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That is not acceptable at all. Mine is headed back in now that I have a contact and a case started at Ford ... they say they will work with the dealer to find a solution.

Like I said earlier some Broncos are not that bad and some are very bad.
The longer this problem goes on, the more the Bestop soft top looks appealing. I know a soft top isn't exactly a step in the right direction but if I'm going to have annoying wind noise forever, it will at least be for a good reason.

HeHateMe

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hyundai Palisade
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I feel like mine isn't bad. Is it louder than the wife's 2020 Hyundai Palisade? Yes. It also doesn't have as much technology, room, or luxury as it and cost 10k more than it.

But then again, the Palisade doesn't have this suspension setup, ability to take roof and doors off, and other niche abilities.

Pay to play I suppose. 🤷‍♂️

I do have one question, do the insides of the hardtop all look poorly finished? Are Jeeps like this? Honestly I've never owned a jeep or have I seen the insides of their hard tops.

I'm sure this will get better with later model years. Are there pictures of the painted tops' insides out there? Curious if they also look unfinished...? 🤔

Sponsored

Wraithracing

Outer Banks
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
mdfilip Thanks for posting up your findings with your Bronco. Obviously it would have been a huge benefit to all of us and FORD had you been part of the original design or QC team.

My 2021 OBX 4 door is obviously not as bad as others in regard to road noise, but it does have a some issues that I will investigate on my own looking at the areas you described in your posts. I don't expect the inside to dead quite, but I believe Ford could have done a much better job in several areas. We can debate that till we are all exhausted so no need to rehash it all again. I don't understand why so many people feel that any complaints are people being unreasonable in there desires for quality construction at the price point we all paid. As you stated this is not NEW technology and honestly in many way my Fox Body Mustangs/Capris of the early 80's with T tops have no more road noise and issues than my 2021 Bronco does. :unsure: I do like my Bronco and I continue to live with my MIC 2.0 that develops more of more texture everyday and pisses me off every time I wash it. But I am constantly told by my dealership that Ford won't do anything. The least Ford could have done was advertise the MIC as the removal top that keeps on giving.

OP
OP
mdfilip

mdfilip

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Shelby GT350, 22 Bronco BL, 29 Ford Roadster
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
mdfilip Thanks for posting up your findings with your Bronco. Obviously it would have been a huge benefit to all of us and FORD had you been part of the original design or QC team.

My 2021 OBX 4 door is obviously not as bad as others in regard to road noise, but it does have a some issues that I will investigate on my own looking at the areas you described in your posts. I don't expect the inside to dead quite, but I believe Ford could have done a much better job in several areas. We can debate that till we are all exhausted so no need to rehash it all again. I don't understand why so many people feel that any complaints are people being unreasonable in there desires for quality construction at the price point we all paid. As you stated this is not NEW technology and honestly in many way my Fox Body Mustangs/Capris of the early 80's with T tops have no more road noise and issues than my 2021 Bronco does. :unsure: I do like my Bronco and I continue to live with my MIC 2.0 that develops more of more texture everyday and pisses me off every time I wash it. But I am constantly told by my dealership that Ford won't do anything. The least Ford could have done was advertise the MIC as the removal top that keeps on giving.
I just want to point out again there is "road noise" and there is "wind noise"

Road noise from tires, other cars or just plain shit outside is fine.... it's the wind noise that I have a issue with. Drive at 65 mph and crack the windows 1/8" or 1/4" that's what I hear at 45+ all the time and if it's a windy day forget talking to your passenger.

Wraithracing

Outer Banks
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I just want to point out again there is "road noise" and there is "wind noise"

Road noise from tires, other cars or just plain shit outside is fine.... it's the wind noise that I have a issue with. Drive at 65 mph and crack the windows 1/8" or 1/4" that's what I hear at 45+ all the time and if it's a windy day forget talking to your passenger.
I completely agree and I understand the point you are making. My issue with the Bronco is wind noise. I expect the road noise due to the removal top and the light weight construction. I don't even have my bigger wheels and tires yet, so I know that will add to it. I have also driven a 2004 F250 PSD 4x4 as my daily driver/work truck since new, so I don't have MB or Lincoln expectations for my Bronco. Again the wind noise and the poor quality of the overall construction of the MIC is my issue with my Bronco and Ford right now. Again to repeat for all the "just drive it and be happy" crowd. I do enjoy my Bronco and drive it every day rain, snow, or shine. I just don't take it on long trips currently due to the added noise at highway speeds. Once I can quiet things down a bit, I fully intend to enjoy the Bronco up and over the Rocky Mountains as I go to visit my daughter in Colorado Springs when possible. (y)

21BL2DR

Badlands
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BL 2dr, 2021 BB 4dr, 2022 BS 2dr, trifecta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

my 4x4 top that comes off in multiple pieces is noisy…..

man….I would have never dreamed It could be like that.

0321_Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Raptor, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Do you think it has something to do with having the roof rack or not? Maybe having the roof rack adds a ton of wind noise. Anyone tried a before and after with and without the rack?
Almost zero difference with roof rack on and off. I guess I'm lucky in that wind and leaks are not a thing for me. The road noise is what it is for a big square box on wheels.

For me, it gets much louder when I take the roof and doors off. :)
Sponsored