Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I just received the email that my bronco is coming in by the end of next month. Has anyone seen or posted a video on how to remove the hardtop solo? I'm trying to figure out if I need to build some contraption or if its doable on my own without having to call a friend every time I want to go topless.
Sponsored

Wolfeman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just received the email that my bronco is coming in by the end of next month. Has anyone seen or posted a video on how to remove the hardtop solo? I'm trying to figure out if I need to build some contraption or if its doable on my own without having to call a friend every time I want to go topless.
Probably not the best idea to try and do it yourself. You might want to review some of the hoist options/ideas in the sub-forum below. I just purchased a Smart Garage Hardtop Lifter and am happy with it.

Here is a video of someone trying to do it with one person -

Last edited:

Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wildtrack 2DR MIC OW, 2014 KTM RC8R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I don't think you can take off the shell piece alone, unless you were to crawl under it and lift it with your back. and have the strength of a bad ass. And even then, I'd be worried I'd drop it. You'll need a hoist ideally, or a buddy. The doors and other panels are easy alone.

FstFrd00

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.gunsmithingtx.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 BD Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

watch youtube videos of removing the wrangler hardtop, then mimic that set-up.

What I did was found a cheap hoist on amazon, bought a couple 10'x2" lifting straps. Mounted the hoist in the attic.
Ford Bronco MIC Hardtop Removal Solo? 20220326_133344

Edit for picture

Its crooked b/c I hit it with my head prior to taking this pic

Last edited:

Sponsored

PatientlyWaiting

Wildtrak
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY22 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Wear gloves when you try to remove the middle panel by yourself. One side is like a razor blade. I learned the hard way. Had to get stitches when I was trying to readjust my grip after I pulled it off.

FstFrd00

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.gunsmithingtx.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 BD Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Wear gloves when you try to remove the middle panel by yourself. One side is like a razor blade. I learned the hard way. Had to get stitches when I was trying to readjust my grip after I pulled it off.
I cut my middle finger, pretty good, on the edge of the front/right MIC panel

jasonkosi

Black Diamond
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

watch youtube videos of removing the wrangler hardtop, then mimic that set-up.

What I did was found a cheap hoist on amazon, bought a couple 10'x2" lifting straps. Mounted the hoist in the attic.
Ford Bronco MIC Hardtop Removal Solo? Screenshot_20220318-164452_Photos

Edit for picture

Its crooked b/c I hit it with my head prior to taking this pic
This is exactly what I’m planning on doing. Except I’m going to make a little cart out of 2x4s with some casters on it so the top doesn’t have to hang up the whole time it’s off. That way I can just wheel it to a corner of the shop and it’s out of the way

thatspecialbeat

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subies
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I don't think you can take off the shell piece alone, unless you were to crawl under it and lift it with your back. and have the strength of a bad ass. And even then, I'd be worried I'd drop it. You'll need a hoist ideally, or a buddy. The doors and other panels are easy alone.
I did exactly this. I would say it was sketchy at best but it worked without damaging anything.

Going to look into a hoist.

Sponsored

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I tried by myself this weekend, couldn't get a good grip. Going to see if my wife will help me next time. I didn't think I could set it down smooth enough without damaging a corner.

ocbucks1

Outer Banks
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyta
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
You can search it on you tube. There are some examples of manual strap and pulley systems for less than $100 as long as your garage has vertical clearance of course.

Last edited:

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I hear if you place some pillows and blankets behind your Bronco and floor it, the MIC top will come off pretty easily.

Disclaimer: Don't be a dumbass; don't try this at home.

codydb19

Big Bend
First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

As others have said it’s possible to get the rear cap off by yourself. But getting it back on without damaging the paint or the top itself is not something I want to try. It’s awkward to find and keep the center of gravity.

The Lange hoist a cart seems to fit my needs best (no garage) however no word if they are planning anything for Bronco or even if the existing system would work. I’m curious if I could just run straps like these DIY hoists are and use it that way.

67BroncoG1

Base
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2D Squatch, '67 Bronco, '24 Grenadier -ordered
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

As others have said it’s possible to get the rear cap off by yourself. But getting it back on without damaging the paint or the top itself is not something I want to try. It’s awkward to find and keep the center of gravity.

The Lange hoist a cart seems to fit my needs best (no garage) however no word if they are planning anything for Bronco or even if the existing system would work. I’m curious if I could just run straps like these DIY hoists are and use it that way.
I haven't seen a top lift that I would actually pay money for until this one. Wonder if they have one coming for the bronco?
Sponsored