First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350/2dr Rubicon/'96 4R/'75 Intl D150/'22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think I've seen others with this leak, not sure when though. Definitely at the seam between the rear clamshell and the mid section.

I have removed and reseated the mid section, curious if others have had this issue and there's an easy fix or have to go through the hassle of dealing with dealer trying to resolve.
Ford Bronco MIC leak, rear passenger at back clamshell 20230113_091910
Ford Bronco MIC leak, rear passenger at back clamshell 20230113_092000
Sponsored

Last edited:

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'89 Land Rover 90 p/u, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Dam, that's the worst one I've seen yet. As much as it sucks to have to go to the dealer you probably should take it in.

Has this been an issue since you drove off the lot? Did you inspect all the seals for defects/deformation? Have you removed the rear clam shell? When I reinstalled my clamshell I noticed that even with the alignment pins engaged I was still able to move the top slightly. I ended up installing both the front and mid panels and verified proper clamshell alignment/engagement to the mid panel before I tightened it down.

OP
OP

Hopeless Diamond

Badlands
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is the 2nd time I've had it happen, first time wasn't as much of a leak and it was after we had considerable snow and an ice storm so I wrote it off to that. I'll probably take the mid section off and have another look before I bring it in. Would like to have some first knowledge of things before the service writer says it's because I didn't buy a Ford Extended Warranty

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
This is the 2nd time I've had it happen, first time wasn't as much of a leak and it was after we had considerable snow and an ice storm so I wrote it off to that. I'll probably take the mid section off and have another look before I bring it in. Would like to have some first knowledge of things before the service writer says it's because I didn't buy a Ford Extended Warranty
Hello! Send us a private message with your VIN and the name and location of your local Ford dealer. I’d be happy to see what I can do to assist with this leak concern on your Bronco. Thanks!

OP
OP

Hopeless Diamond

Badlands
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hello! Send us a private message with your VIN and the name and location of your local Ford dealer. I’d be happy to see what I can do to assist with this leak concern on your Bronco. Thanks!
Will do, out of town right now but will get you info when I get back

Thx!

Sponsored
OP
OP

Hopeless Diamond

Badlands
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Welp, haven't been able to get it in to the dealer yet because of my schedule, but have things set up to take it in early next week.

Did get a chance to do a little investigation on my own though. Didn't rain yesterday (yay!) so things were all dry. Removed the panels and did a visual of the seal between the mid-section/clamshell. Everything looked good, nothing noticeable. Put it all back together making sure not to twist the seal or pinch anything.

Then I ran a hose over the roof, didn't direct it at the area, just let it flood over the entire roof. Went back in to the vehicle and sure enough, a drip was starting...
Ford Bronco MIC leak, rear passenger at back clamshell 20230119_141910

Interestingly, it seemed to be coming out of the seal, not around it. There was also noticeable moisture building up along the edge of the bracket that attaches to the clamshell.

When I moved the mid-section, it seemed like a lot of water was running out of it. As I said it was dry, but it appeared all this water was coming out of the roof section itself. Wondering if water collects within the roof panels and builds up until it finds a way out, i.e. through bolt holes for attaching brackets? If the edges of the panel honeycomb aren't sealed, water will get it in no matter what. Without some sort of weep hole it will build up till it finds a way out...

Gonna remove the mid-section again and gently pour water along the clamshell seal and watch to see if it works it's way through the panel and comes through inside...

OP
OP

Hopeless Diamond

Badlands
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well, for anyone following along...

Think I may have found the source of the leak. Inspected the seal along the whole rear clamshell. There is a section where it isn't adhered to the clamshell and it lets water under the seal. I poured a little water around it and sure enough in a little bit it was dripping out inside, seemed to be seeping around the entire bracket where it was attached.

I'm taking it in to the dealer next week. We'll see what they (and Ford, they gave me a case number) say.
Ford Bronco MIC leak, rear passenger at back clamshell 20230120_133046

OP
OP

Hopeless Diamond

Badlands
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Dealer had a chance to take a closer look at it and it is the seal. Don't know where the actual problem is though. They have one coming in, was supposed to be in today but no joy.

Apparently this is starting to show up more, dealer had another one come in this week too.

Ford customer service has been very active with following this through. They reached out through the forum here, gave me a case number. Followed up with phone calls, and have been in contact with the dealer service dept. The head service writer asked me who I knew at Ford, LOL.

OP
OP

Hopeless Diamond

Badlands
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Figured I circle back and close this out with a happy ending :cool:

Ford customer service hooked me up with a 3 year maintenance plan for the troubles. Just dropped it off for an oil change and a 5 tire rotation (my back and dangley parts are so happy ;))

hozer

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ford customer service hooked me up with a 3 year maintenance plan for the troubles. Just dropped it off for an oil change and a 5 tire rotation (my back and dangley parts are so happy ;))
Awesome stuff. Mine is nowhere near this bad but having trouble getting it sorted!

Fonz54

Badlands
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Commander, Porsche Cayenne, Mercedes C250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Speaking of Happy backs. Changes my oil for the third time two weeks ago and totally f'd up my back! Should have bought the extended back warranty! 🤓

Glad to hear you had a happy ending! :ROFLMAO:
Sponsored