Reaction score
Website
HotheadHeadliners.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler & Jeep Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
No love for the 2 doors
We are working on it! Will hopefully be able to provide an update in the coming weeks. Please keep checking back!

-Mark
Sponsored

aniljavali

Badlands
First Name
Anil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands '22 & Tesla 3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

am planning to put painters tape on all seams to see if it makes any difference in the wind noise?

has anyone tried this already?

tr3vahf3d

Black Diamond
First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Been driving from LA to SF a lot and the noise is really getting to me. I’m going to take the plunge on this.

Has anyone measured the dB SPL after using any of these methods.

There is plenty of content calling out the level (around 75-76 when going 70+MPH) before treatment. I haven’t seen anyone measure after.

I know advanced fiberglass claims 3db reduction with their option.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Been driving from LA to SF a lot and the noise is really getting to me. I’m going to take the plunge on this.

Has anyone measured the dB SPL after using any of these methods.

There is plenty of content calling out the level (around 75-76 when going 70+MPH) before treatment. I haven’t seen anyone measure after.

I know advanced fiberglass claims 3db reduction with their option.
A pair of noise canceling headphones was actually the best way to make it comfortable.

Personally, the DB meter didn't seem to accurately measure the ambient noise, so it made my measurements pointless despite the noticeable differences. Maybe it is my dB meter... I really should use REW now that I have it with a calibrated mic, as it will give me much more data than I would expect from just a dB meter.

I have been able to decrease the noise significantly, but that was before my purchase of a calibrated mic.

SnowTired

First Name
Tired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Frontier 2G
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

am planning to put painters tape on all seams to see if it makes any difference in the wind noise?

has anyone tried this already?
I have a distinct high pitched whistle that starts at 38mph, and is loud enough to drown out all road and tire noise on my Sas 2-door (which is a lot) by 70mph. It sounds like it comes from the front roof seam right behind the passenger side cam-latch on my 2 door. (Basically right in front of where a passenger's left ear would be.)

I spent 2 hours experimenting with tape today:

Ford Bronco MIC Noise Reduction Guide - wind sound- aka more (or less) cowbell please 1000005889

Weirdly the only thing that changed the whistle at all was sealing the **driver** side roof seam above the window. Wild. I'm no aerodynamicist, but that would make me think there's some pressure differential over on the driver side that's pulling air in the passenger side seals... bananas.

All I know for sure is that moving the strike plates and adjusting the tightness of the cams either does nothing, or worsens the whistle. Only the driver door tape has eliminated it thus far.

I'll post back when I find answers, but I think the tops, the adjustments, and the seals are enough variables to complicate a one-size-fits-all solution pretty significantly. 🤷‍♂️

1000005891.jpg

Sponsored

SnowTired

First Name
Tired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Frontier 2G
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I have a distinct high pitched whistle that starts at 38mph, and is loud enough to drown out all road and tire noise on my Sas 2-door (which is a lot) by 70mph. It sounds like it comes from the front roof seam right behind the passenger side cam-latch on my 2 door. (Basically right in front of where a passenger's left ear would be.)

I spent 2 hours experimenting with tape today:

1000005889.jpg

Weirdly the only thing that changed the whistle at all was sealing the **driver** side roof seam above the window. Wild. I'm no aerodynamicist, but that would make me think there's some pressure differential over on the driver side that's pulling air in the passenger side seals... bananas.

All I know for sure is that moving the strike plates and adjusting the tightness of the cams either does nothing, or worsens the whistle. Only the driver door tape has eliminated it thus far.

I'll post back when I find answers, but I think the tops, the adjustments, and the seals are enough variables to complicate a one-size-fits-all solution pretty significantly. 🤷‍♂️

1000005891.jpg
Quoting my own post with the result:

I was finally able to spend time as a passenger at speed, and had the driver (my Dad) confirm that he heard the whistle from the same location... BUT the source was different from the passenger seat!

The whistle came from nearly the dead center of the two roof panels, and I was able to stop it entirely by just putting my finger in the seam of the two panels.

I removed both panels, and added some foam to the existing piece that was pretty well compressed where the two panels meet and overlap at the front, then ran a single length of 1/4" D shaped marine-grade weather seal across the whole front of the panels where they meet the rear rain seal on the frame.

Whistle gone. Night and day difference.

Now conversation is way easier, audio sounds better because it's not competing with a tornado, but there's a pretty significant buffeting over 65 MPH and a roaring sound from the driver's side roof seam above the driver's window. I still think that's the source of the pressure differential, and will see if I can address that as well over time.

I'll report back when I do.

Barny227

Wildtrak
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 wrangler jk
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Good stuff and thank you for posting @SnowTired.
that is exactly the same noice that I have, it has been driving crazy!

ethanxy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I realize the reading will change due to environment, road condition, tires, etc, but has anybody done a decibel reading, as a baseline in the vehicle while driving?
It might sound absurd, but I've conducted a few noise tests using an iPhone and a noise testing app.

The method was to drive from my home to the nearby city ring road and back, then repeat the same route with another car. The total journey was less than 10 kilometers. The vehicles tested were a hard-top Bronco Badlands with SAS and my other car, a Land Rover Discovery 5.

Surprisingly, the average noise levels were virtually the same each time. However, at a speed of 110 kilometers per hour on the highway, the Land Rover consistently registered slightly higher noise levels than the Bronco, with readings fluctuating between 78 and 85.

I've driven the Land Rover across North America, from east to west, and never had any complaints about its sound insulation. However, driving the Bronco at high speeds for an hour always feels noisy. At 110 kilometers per hour, it's somewhat difficult to listen to music and conversation with the passenger requires noticeably raised voices.

My guess is that the iPhone's measurement might be inaccurate, or the Land Rover might be specifically optimized and insulated against noises that are more sensitive to humans, like low-frequency sounds. However, I'm not an expert; this is just my suspicion.
Sponsored